• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly

eatingwitheddie

As you can see, and like I said, this cut isn't what it should be for true pork belly goodness

That looks exactly like pork belly goodness to me.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well done! Looks nice.

Perhaps you might give some thought to going for a pork belly dish that does not fixate on the crispy skin next time?

If you are not interested in the skin and fat:

Pork belly - $3.90 a lb

Pork shoulder - $0.89 a lb.

dcarch :-)

• Like 2

Well done! Looks nice.

Perhaps you might give some thought to going for a pork belly dish that does not fixate on the crispy skin next time?

If you are not interested in the skin and fat:

Pork belly - $3.90 a lb

Pork shoulder - $0.89 a lb.

dcarch :-)

Oh but I AM interested in the fat and skin - I like crispy skin too but I also do pork belly in other ways that do not REQUIRE that the skin be crispy but is meltingly soft and gelatinous instead, or soft & tender, and LIKE it in those ways - as do many other folks, I dare say. :-)

Pork shoulder at 89¢/lb? That's cheap. Still, pork belly is the most favored cut of pork for Chinese folks; with pork shoulder amongst the less favored parts (often not enough fat, amongst other things) and can be a hard sell in some markets. But surely you are quoting NYC prices?

Edited by huiray (log)

I can get shoulder right now for 99 cents a pound at most supermarkets. Belly on sale at $2.29. I did see belly for 99 cents the other day - but no skin.

Great posts. Shelby I too took the plunge for the first time and roasted up a piece of belly that I had dry brined for 4 days with the intent to smoke it on the grill. I decided to change course and cooked it in the oven after reading this post. The pork came from a tamworth hog that I butchered last fall and the skin came out really crunchy without the soda step. I was a little sloppy in the scoring process but lordy is that pork tasty.

P1020511(1).JPG

• Like 3

Great posts. Shelby I too took the plunge for the first time and roasted up a piece of belly that I had dry brined for 4 days with the intent to smoke it on the grill. I decided to change course and cooked it in the oven after reading this post. The pork came from a tamworth hog that I butchered last fall and the skin came out really crunchy without the soda step. I was a little sloppy in the scoring process but lordy is that pork tasty.

attachicon.gifP1020511(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1020512(1).JPG

Looks delicious! About how thick was your cut?

attachicon.gifP1020511(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1020512(1).JPG

Looks delicious! About how thick was your cut?

It was a little under 2" at the thickest.

P1020528(1).JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of what I'm working with this time. It's got a lot more meat than the last one did. I'm SO torn between doing the crunchy top like I did last time or doing the Chashu pork for ramen.

Image 4.jpg

• Like 1