• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly

eatingwitheddie

OK, so I have some pork belly braising right now. I seasoned it, seared it, and then have been simmering it with white wine and aromatics for some time now. It still looks extremely fatty. Is more fat going to continue to render out? How much fat should I be leaving on--should I be cutting some of the fat away? I like pork fat as much as the next girl, but I don't remember ever being presented with a chunk of mostly-fat when eating fresh bacon or braised pork belly in a restaurant. I didn't think to score the fat to encourage rendering, nor did I trim it before I started. I don't want to lose the skin, which I was hoping to crisp up before serving. Help me out here, folks.

since youre braising it fat is not really going to 'render' fat will liquify once it's heated to c certain temp. If you cook it long enough all the fat will melt and you'll disingrate the meat. Anyways, fat tastes good so just eat what you want. Once youre done cooking it you can always slice off what you don't want. It might be easier to crisp up the skin if you cut it off.

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

Kimchi chigae

or

Spicy gochujang marinade, grill. Serve with rice and lettuce for wrapping. Maybe samjang as a relish.

touaregsand, how do you make your kimchi chigae?? I've tried before, but wasn't fully satisfied with the result. I'd love to know how you make it!

Make a korean dish called bosam.

The pork is boiled and slice 1/4 inch think. It is served with different type of condiments. My favorite is a mixture of raw oysters, red pepper, thin raddish strip (I'm guessing on the recipe for the mixture because I've not made it but my parents make this time to time). The sauce I make is much simpler. Korean pickled brine shimp and add some red pepper powder and garlic to taste. This eaten with slice peppers and par boiled napa cabbage. YUM.

My folks have told me this is eaten alot when people go drinking. I don't drink but man is it still good.

5 spice roast belly look awesome. Recipe would be appreciated.

Soup

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just want to say "thank you" for the recipe discussion. This is my all time favorite and difficult to find if you're no where near a Chinatown. I'm sure this works best with fresh meat but in some areas only frozen can be found and not suckling at that.

If anyone has any more insight or hands-on experience on the topic, please feel free to share.

I think the reason pork belly has become so popular in America is because it's the only part of a pig that tastes like pig nowadays. Personally, while I think pork belly tastes fantastic, cuts like the neck and shoulder from much fattier pigs also taste very good and the variety is nice.

PS: I am a guy.

I think the reason pork belly has become so popular in America is because it's the only part of a pig that tastes like pig nowadays. Personally, while I think pork belly tastes fantastic, cuts like the neck and shoulder from much fattier pigs also taste very good and the variety is nice.

I don't think pork belly has "become popular" in America. Pork belly is popular in most cultures where it is available. After all... bacon has been a hit for many decades in America. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

i am addicted to roast pork belly.. i have to stop myself getting it more than twice a week.. one of my favourite chinese restaurants has takeaway servings on rice with a type of light sauce [on the rice] and bok choy.. the pork has crispy cracked skin, melting fat and salty flesh... mmm..

i'm going to have to go after work now! :D

Edited by Tae.Lee (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I will present a recipe here, but be aware that there is a little "slippage" in my memory.

thanks Ben Hong!

i did a small test with your recipe tonight..

i took a small length of belly, marinated in said sauces, in the oven, 40 minutes later, beautiful roast pork belly! :)

i left it in the hot phase a little too long and had a tiny bit of burning on the skin, but it was still delicious.. and looked great

next time i'll do it with a larger piece and take photos..

thanks again!

The pork belly recipes from Fergus Henderson's "The Whole Beast" are all great. The boiled belly comes out soft and salty and the accompanying lentils are a great match while the roast belly has gorgeous, crispy skin.

• 1 month later...

I have eaten it in restaurants only.. Looking at a recipe that calls for pork belly.. I am ordering it off a food webiste, Fresh Direct and dont see it as an option.. I am curious if it would go by any other name. I.E Filet Mignon to Tenderloin or something to that affect..

Thanks..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I've only bought it as pork belly Cheap as chips. Your local butcher any help? I would think it would be fairly easy to get.....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I.Bone in

Blade Crown ,Center-Cut Loin, Fresh Ham, Bone-In

Center-Cut Loin Special, Shoulder

II.Boneless

Blade, Rib End Roast ,Center-Cut Loin

Shoulder ,Fresh Ham

Sirloin Loin, End Roast

Tenderloin

III. BULK UNTRIMMED

Fresh Pork Butt, Bulk Pack Pork Shoulder,

Bulk Pack ,Pork Loin

Bulk Pack,Pork Tenderloin

So these are my choice from the webiste.. So no pork belly then?

Daniel, I use FreshDirect quite a bit myself and I've never seen pork belly on their website. They might consider it an inferior/too inexpensive cut of meat.

However, it's widely available in Chinatown.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge