• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly

eatingwitheddie

Scalding to me is putting the piece of meat skin side up on a rack over a sink and pouring a kettle of boiling water over the skin. If you are going to pierce the skin, a good time to do it is after the scalding process, because the skin is softer. Scalding also tightens up and smooths the skin on any meat. After you apply the rub to the meat, let it sit for a time. If it's only for a few hours, I don't ever worry about bacteria, unless it's left out overnight in warm and humid conditions.

Supplementary post. You do not have to keep the marinating meat in the fridge. If you are going to cook it in a few hours, leave it in an airy place outside the fridge. The idea is to dry the skin, so don't cover it.

• 2 months later...

Help!

My Dad would REALLY like to get a good recipe for braised pork belly...I've no clue where to point him for help, any ideas MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Hi Fay -

there are a mess of recipes around these boards, if you search under "pork belly" - though muost of the best ones are Asian.

If you're not steaming, then the method usually goes - debone, trim of fat, roll up tight and tie, braise in stock with aromatics on a low temp for about 21/2 - 3 hours. Then you can cut off medalions, and either serve as is, or pan fry until crispy on the outside, and melting within.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

REALLY like to get a good recipe for braised pork belly...

Go to http://www.searchalot.com and click on Advanced Search. Type in braised pork belly. On the first page to come up, click on the first entry, "Low Carb Recipes Gourmet Style - Sake," and see what you think. From there, it's your search. :blink:

the Somewhat Right Reverend Brother Bubba Bear

another very simple recipe is to take cubed lump pork belly and stir fry that without extra oil with old kimchi (fresh kimchi will do, but it wont be as flavourful).

thats it. the oil from the pork should be enough. :D this is a simplified version of something called samgyeopsal kimchi bokkeum (삼겹살 김치볶음). i believe it is simply called buta kim(u)chi in japanese (豚キムチ)

040707samgyeopsalKimchi.jpg

yumms!

Edited by melonpan (log)
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to make a braised pork belly and I was wondering how much rind needs to be trimmed off to make this.

I've heard that the rind needs to be removed for this, but I am not sure how much of the fat constitutes the rind. Does all of the skin and fat need to be removed or just the tough outer layer of fat?

Remove just the skin for what you are doing. The skin will end up gummy and chewy if braised traditionally. The fat will lend flavor, will take on the cure well, and will help keep the meat from drying out too much. Also, a lot of fat will render out during the lengthy braising process.

On a side note, roasted pork belly with the skin on is great as the skin becomes "cracklins" on top of the pork belly.

After you take the rind off, sprinkle it with coarse salt, and spread it out on paper towel lined sheets and keep refrigerated for a few days. When you have braised teh pork belly you'll find you have about half the original weight in pork fat. Strain this fat and hold it in a cool place. When ready to cook the rind, wipe off the coarse salt , cut it into 3 inch x 8 inch strips, tie each strip in a bundle, and cook all the bundles in the strained fat until they become soft and tender, about 3 hours. A crock pot is useful here. You now have what the folks in Perigord call couennes confites. Keep these covered in the same fat after straining. Usually it is best in the fridge. Use one or two strips in cassoulets, bean dishes, lentil dishes, and stews, etc .

I hate writing this but the southwest French say it all the time: 'nothing is wasted in a pig but the oink.'

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Another use for the pork skin is to tie it up and add it to stock or the braising liquid. Skin has a lot of gelatin that adds body to the liquid it is simmered in. Freeze the skin until ready to use if not going to use it immediately.

Wolfert gets to this same point, although in a more flavorful manner. His method is great in that the rind gains complexity in the cure and in the maturing/ripening/mellowing in the fat it is kept in. This then lends great flavor to the process it is later used for.

Wolfert, does the skin lose some of its gelatinous properties after the confit process? To clarify, does a significant amount of the gelatin from the pork skin get displaced? I know that gelatin is only water soluble. I am just curious. It seems to me that there may be some loss of gelatin but not anything significant (although this is just a hypothesis).

Wolfert, does the skin lose some of its gelatinous properties after the confit process?  To clarify, does a significant amount of the gelatin from the pork skin  get displaced?  I know that gelatin is only water soluble.  I am just curious.  It seems to me that there may be some loss of gelatin but not anything significant (although this is just a hypothesis).

No, not at all unless you overcook the bundles. As soon as a straw can get through the rind it is ready for the next step: to cool down in the fat. Then it is stored in the fat.

Let me know if you need to know more on the subject. Since I'm revising the my book on southwest cooking (1981), I've learned there haven't been any changes in this method: the tradition to tie the strips in bundles is still an on going process because it helps to maintain the texture. Try it.

Best,

Paula

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

• 2 months later...

have got some friends coming over Thursday night. Have a nice chunk of pork belly sitting on my countertop defrosting nicely. Would love just to roast it with thyme + salt, but I don't think time constraints permit (I get home 6.15pm, guests arrive 8pm). Have seen a recipe in Delicious for pork belly cubed then braised with cardamom and orange, which I'm quite liking the sound of, especially since I can do it this evening when I get home, but I tend to prefer my pork with aromatics like fennel + bay (like a kind of porchetta). Obviously I'd cut the rind off and make crackling (the new canapes! who knew) before braising.

so does anyone have any brainwaves for good things to braise with pork belly? have all of the following in the house:

soy, ginger, garlic, onions, star anise, mirin, fish sauce, oranges, apples, fennel seeds, fennel bulb, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, carrots, rosemary, thyme, fresh parsley, fresh coriander, ground coriander, nutmeg, cloves, chives, lemons, bay, juniper berries, chillies, stock, red wine, white wine, gin, olives, marshmallows (just checking you're still paying attention)

Or am I better off trying to roast it in the window I have between getting home and them arriving? can do all other prep tonight.

thanks for your help!

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I just confit'd some in olive oil for about 6-8 hours at around 90C (having salted and thymed it over night). When it came time to serve, I pan fried it skin down, which produced the most perfect crackling ever. The texture of the meat was glorious. You could do it the night before, and reheat (pan sear, then 5 mins in an oven).

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I just confit'd some in olive oil for about 6-8 hours at around 90C (having salted and thymed it over night). When it came time to serve, I pan fried it skin down, which produced the most perfect crackling ever. The texture of the meat was glorious. You could do it the night before, and reheat (pan sear, then 5 mins in an oven).

so, if I scuttle home and salt + thyme it this evening, I get up in the morning and confit it all day? cover entirely with olive oil and put in 90C oven, was that your method?

presumably have to serve it with cream, just to cut the richness (© Ma Kirkpatrick)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

No need to panic.

It will take very long (like 24 hours) slow cooking. Put it on before you leave in the morning in a very slow, (90C/200F plate warming) oven, or even the night before.

Keep it in one piece,

Two ways, both delicious:

a) Soft, gelatanous skin: Cook it Tung po or old rice mat style

Blanch twice. Put it into a casserole, skin side down with 2 Tbs soy, 2 Tbs Mirin, and if you have them, garlic, ginger, spring onion. Put on a tight fitting lid.

It will make its own juice.

Serve with lots of plain boiled rice and simple steamed or stir-fried veg.

b) Pseudo BBQ, with amazing crackling:

Line a pan with foil. Rub the pork with BBQ seasoning/spices - lots of garlic. Your salt/thyme sounds good. Put in the roasting pan and in the very slow oven for between 12 and 24 hours. Before serving put into a blazing hot (200C/400F+) oven for 15 mins to puff the crackling.

Serve with coleslaw, hush puppies, cornbread etc.

edit: I guess pan fry will work for the crackling as well. The oven cooking dries the skin, so it puffs easily...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

No need to panic.

this made me laugh! thank you! am loving the barbecue idea. AND the fact I leave it overnight in the lowest possible oven. Hmmm - this is where we discover that the new oven is rubbish at temp control. Still, nothing ventured...

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

Quickest way is Jeff Smith's (Frugal Gourmet- I know!) Three Ancient Cuisines -- Crispy Roast Pork which comes out like the roasted pig in chinese deli's. Marinate w/ mein see sauce, soy, salt, sugar, garlic and ginger on meat side only for an hour. Pierce skin w/all over (easier when skin is oven warmed 10 mins) and roast skin side up on middle rack at 350 for 1-1/2 hr. Pierce skin 3-4 times. If needed, broil for a few mins to brown, but you probably won't need to. Garnish w/green onions. Good luck and have fun!

Fi - sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. My oven themerometer was reading in the 225-250 F range (which is over 100C, not the 90C I mentioned above), so my controls are a bit off also.

But 6-8 hours left me with perfection.

And actually, we quoted your mum, Fi. Served it with Jackal's pomme puree, and some buttery cabbage with a hint off white wine and vinegar ("Mmm" said kate, "JUST to cut the richness") in emulation of choucroute as a standard. And of course, cabbage is great for dinner parties. Blanch, saute with butter/wine etc, reheat before serving.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

OK, well, it's 8am and the pork has been in the oven since 6.45am, in a lined roasting tin, rubbed with fennel salt thyme + garlic, at 90C, as per Jack. I am in the office and slightly nervous that I will get home to find my zealous cleaning lady has turned the oven off. accompaniments will be steamed cabbage (as per Moby), boiled floury potatoes, green beans tossed with cumin + tomato, roasted parsnips, apple sauce. followed up with honey-roasted oranges with cardamom.

I shall report back tomorrow! thanks for all your suggestions.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

• 4 months later...

There have been numerous posts on the cold pork chop thing, and one evening, I thought, what the hell and did the following:

- removed chunk of pork belly (500g) rind on from freezer, un-brined.

- sat it on an onion in an oven pan

- doused liberally with olive oil and white wine

- salt and pepper

- set oven to 140C

- rotated oven pan after 1 1/2 hours, splashed more wine in

- turned oven off ater 3 hours total time

- fired up overhead grill (you guys call it a broiler no?)

- salted skin even more and grilled to crispness, must watch as it was about to burn when i pulled it after standing on the balcony smoking. I was smoking that is, not the pork, but it had started to, but anyway, I digress...

- removed pork, deglazed pan with wine, scooped in some demi, stirred in parsley, mounted and served with belly.

IT WORKED. Soft smooth tender on the inside, crisp on the top. Ate it like a steak, washed it down with a lovely riesling. No side-dishes. Some bread to mop up sauce.

Did I fluke it, or is this a fair preparation of the beast? I'm thinking about doing the same tonight but using the following method... 1st hour 140C, 2nd half hour 200C, grill skin, serve. Wife's not getting home till 8.30pm, it's 5.30pm now, gotta go home!!!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

hmmmm :hmmm: never tried it that way..

Here is how i've cooked my pork belly:

I buy it fresh, skin on and remove the rib bones, I begin by seasoning generously.

Then, sear it on high heat for 5 to 6 mn on skin side only. Deglaze the pan with a mirepoix and cook them until they begin to brown. Deglaze again with brown veal stock making sure i scrape all the good stuff at the bottom of the pan well, let it cook down until it evaporates. Add the rest of the veal stock, add the pork and bouquet garni (stock has to come to cover). I put a parchment lid on top and stick it in the oven at 325F and let it braise until it is fork tender (maybe 3-4 hours it depends).

Just before i am ready to serve, Remove the pork from its cooking liquid, pull off the skin, cut it in serving pieces and score the fat. I strain the cooking liquid, reduce it a little while i stick the pork under the broiler for 3-4 mn until the top begins to crisp. I like to serve this with roasted vegetables, lentils or barley.

I don't think you fluked anything, hey, if it was good...You should try different methods and compare. See which one you like the best..

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

That's no fluke, sounds fine to me. I'm no pork belly cookery expert, but the meat/fat is so rich that you really don''t need complicated prep. I roasted a 1 kg (2.2 lb) salted and peppered fresh belly with rind and bone-in at 150C (300F) for about three hours over roughly chopped onions (and about half a head of garlic thrown in for good measure) and it came out succulently devine. The bones practically slipped out. Nothing wrong with a more extensive prep and cooking process either, either, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report