• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly

eatingwitheddie

"---Pity what you got appears to have no skin---"

I think I see skin tucked under.

I am not sure I agree with many. Perfect pork belly is not easy. There is the meat, fat and skin. Each requires drastically way of cooking. So if you fail to end up with a "restaurant ready" dish, don't blame yourself, just try again. Sometimes you succeed in achieving the most incredible dish, then you can fail the next time using the identical method.

It all depends on your preference, what kind of texture you would like to end up with, do you like crispy skin? Do you eat fat? How chewy you want the meat to be?

Of course, you can always make bacon.

dcarch

I got lucky this time:

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa343/dcflash7/crispyporkbelly.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa343/dcflash7/crispyporkbelly2.jpg

Depends on what cuisine. Crispy skin and melting fat plus tender flesh in one piece such as dcarch shows is not the only way to cook pork belly and is certainly not the only "perfect way" to have pork belly. I've given several examples from other cuisines.

I vote for petit salé aux lentilles, only because I made it last weekend. And, because, it was awesome.

http://bit.ly/KUW4N7

• Like 2

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I am not sure I agree with many. Perfect pork belly is not easy. There is the meat, fat and skin. Each requires drastically way of cooking. So if you fail to end up with a "restaurant ready" dish, don't blame yourself, just try again. Sometimes you succeed in achieving the most incredible dish, then you can fail the next time using the identical method.

It all depends on your preference, what kind of texture you would like to end up with, do you like crispy skin? Do you eat fat? How chewy you want the meat to be?

dcarch

My husband actually bought it because he was going to make bacon out of it. I stepped in and told him absolutely not, I want to have proper pork belly made the way I always see it on eGullet :)

I've never eaten or cooked it before--I mean I've had pork before, of course, but not pork belly.

When I see pictures my mind thinks that it must melt in your mouth…not in a greasy way, but an unctuous way with the top being crispy.

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas!!!! I am going to have a hard time choosing.

Well, there's absolutely nothing saying you can't buy *more* pork belly and just eat your way through the suggestions at a leisurely, pork-saturated pace….

• Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

dcarch

My husband actually bought it because he was going to make bacon out of it. I stepped in and told him absolutely not, I want to have proper pork belly made the way I always see it on eGullet :)

I've never eaten or cooked it before--I mean I've had pork before, of course, but not pork belly.

When I see pictures my mind thinks that it must melt in your mouth…not in a greasy way, but an unctuous way with the top being crispy.

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas!!!! I am going to have a hard time choosing.

Well, there's absolutely nothing saying you can't buy *more* pork belly and just eat your way through the suggestions at a leisurely, pork-saturated pace….

Well, I hope we are able to find it again, but we live in the sticks and this was a lucky find in the big city.

Depends on what cuisine. Crispy skin and melting fat plus tender flesh in one piece such as dcarch shows is not the only way to cook pork belly and is certainly not the only "perfect way" to have pork belly. I've given several examples from other cuisines.

I agree. I really enjoy the pork belly with cracklings but the recipe I linked it is absolutely different. Melt in your mouth skin and meat, and no greasy at all.

Shelby you need to go out and buy more belly!!!

• Like 1

dcarch

Well, I hope we are able to find it again, but we live in the sticks and this was a lucky find in the big city.

One of the greatest things of living in the US, for me, it's that you can buy almost anything online!

• Like 2

Make chinese roast pork belly

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/108508-siu-yook-roast-pork-belly/

To summarize the thread, scald the skin with hot water, score the skin so that it doesn't penetrate the fat, brush vodka or a light baking soda solution on the skin, season the skin lightly with salt and the meat with chinese five spice and salt. Then store pork belly in fridge for 24 hours uncovered so the skin dries out then bake on a wire rack at 350-400 F for 1-2 hours, and bring it up to the broiler to make the skin bubble up and crisp, if it already hasn't done so.

You can also try making a sort of porchetta by wrapping the pork belly around a loin and roasting it

• Like 2

Vietnamese caramel pork belly for me. Fantastic combination of sweet, bitter, fragrant and rich porky goodness. I posted a sous vide recipe but there are plenty on the internet.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I would love to see your Vietnamese pork belly recipe! Could you write the recipe or send me a link? Thanks!

Here it is.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/136275-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-part-8/?p=1916696

Enjoy..

Simon

Make chinese roast pork belly

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/108508-siu-yook-roast-pork-belly/

To summarize the thread, scald the skin with hot water, score the skin so that it doesn't penetrate the fat, brush vodka or a light baking soda solution on the skin, season the skin lightly with salt and the meat with chinese five spice and salt. Then store pork belly in fridge for 24 hours uncovered so the skin dries out then bake on a wire rack at 350-400 F for 1-2 hours, and bring it up to the broiler to make the skin bubble up and crisp, if it already hasn't done so.

You can also try making a sort of porchetta by wrapping the pork belly around a loin and roasting it

This link you provided is VERY helpful! Thank you so much! I am going to go with this and use the vodka method (I think….I hope I have some vodka) If not, then I'll do the soda. I am starting in a bit, so I'll keep you guys updated :)

• Like 1

I did this one a while back using Gordon Ramsay's Pressed Belly of Pork recipe (with the flavors tweaked a bit for what I was going to do with it)...

belly_zps9e78331a.jpg

It's roasted in the oven, refrigerated under weight then warmed and crisped in the oven. I plated it with a salad of peaches, dandelion greens and chive blossoms and a pickled peach consommé but the base recipe for the belly is really nice if you want to go a non-Asian direction with some of it.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's nice and simple for the first few times around. After a while I'd strongly encourage you to cook the meat and skin separately, though.

Ok. I will do that once I get a bit more confident.

I did this one a while back using Gordon Ramsay's Pressed Belly of Pork recipe (with the flavors tweaked a bit for what I was going to do with it)...

belly_zps9e78331a.jpg

It's roasted in the oven, refrigerated under weight then warmed and crisped in the oven. I plated it with a salad of peaches, dandelion greens and chive blossoms and a pickled peach consommé but the base recipe for the belly is really nice if you want to go a non-Asian direction with some of it.

This is a thing of beauty!

Well, right off the bat, I know that this cut isn't as good as what it should be. Frankly, it looks more like it should be made into bacon. BUT, I want to try this so I'm forging ahead.

That looks like something I want for my breakfast about now.

EDIT:

It's hard to tell through the packaging and all but it looks okay to me.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Ok. It's in the fridge to dry/marinate. I only had Absolut Pepper vodka, but it's 40%, so I figured that would be ok.

It doesn't have a lot of meat in a couple of areas. It's not sliced evenly if that makes sense. Also, there is a 2 1/2 inch place on the end that has no skin on it. BUT, it's a good piece to try out and learn on.

Thanks again for all help and encouragement!

Edited by Shelby (log)

No, that makes sense. Common enough with the butchers around me, too. Particularly when the meat is off the bone. Most butchers around here 'cut' it that way too. The advantage of cooking it without the skin is you can prep the meat a day or two before you plan to serve it and press it under the weight of a few can or a plastic tub filled with coins.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Chiming in a big late, since you're already started, but yes on char siu for sure.

Or for an easier Chinese preparation, try red-braised pork (hong shao rou). Prawncrackers has an especially delicious version floating around on the threads here somewhere...

• Like 2

I cannot THANK each and every one of you enough for helping me with this. It was a success!!! It will be better next time, but I'm pleased at my first attempt.

Image 1.jpg

As you can see, and like I said, this cut isn't what it should be for true pork belly goodness, but, I'm thankful for this wonderful chance to practice and taste.

Image.jpg

LOVED that it was awesome, crunchy pork skin on top. There should have been more meat on the bottom, but we got the general idea and it was heavenly.

I scored it by cutting instead of poking. Not sure which method is better?

We had this along side some fried spring rolls stuffed with ground pork and fried rice. I'm SO FULL.

Edited to add:

Since the cut was so much thinner than the pics from the recipe, I cut the cooking time in half for each step. I think that worked well.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6

I cannot THANK each and every one of you enough for helping me with this. It was a success!!! It will be better next time, but I'm pleased at my first attempt.

attachicon.gifImage 1.jpg

As you can see, and like I said, this cut isn't what it should be for true pork belly goodness, but, I'm thankful for this wonderful chance to practice and taste.

attachicon.gifImage.jpg

LOVED that it was awesome, crunchy pork skin on top. There should have been more meat on the bottom, but we got the general idea and it was heavenly.

I scored it by cutting instead of poking. Not sure which method is better?

We had this along side some fried spring rolls stuffed with ground pork and fried rice. I'm SO FULL.

Edited to add:

Since the cut was so much thinner than the pics from the recipe, I cut the cooking time in half for each step. I think that worked well.

Love that crispy skin! Looks yummy.

• Like 2

Now I know you have been deceiving us. :-)

Looking at that wonderfulness piece of perfect crispy pork, you got to have done this a hundred times before.

dcarch

I honestly have tears in my eyes. That's the nicest compliment you could have given me.

And I swear, I was a pork belly virgin.