• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World's best restaurant is French

Craig Camp

Well, to be honest, I stood near him and quaffed Laurent Perrier. He was hanging out with Ferran Adria and I was simply too intimidated to go and say hello, but as he knows about eGullet I suppose I really should have done. He looks pretty ordinary but had a real presence when he got up to accept his award, a "leader of men" air about him.

no man, there's not. but you could take the day off if we're getting to ethereal for ya. i need to do that sometimes when they gush about the superior intellect of these guys. i can relate. but if you don't think watching t. keller address a group of star chefs isn't stirring then there's a disconnect implanted in your soul (i mean that in a nuturing way). man, adria and keller in the same room, and chattin' it up. Wow. too damn cool.

One can argue that it doesn't really matter, that its better than nothing, or take a cynical view of the public as proposed by Bux. However, I continue to believe that a better list would offer the opportunity of a better result for the public, and that a responsible magazine trying to exploit this area should have done a more serious job.

Define "responsible." Or to put it another way, how do you know how responsible a magazine is, and to whom it's responsible, until you're read their top 50 list? :biggrin:

I prefer to think of myself as a pragmatic realist. And I'm not paranoid just because I want to know what I am drinking after I decide if my glass is half full or half empty. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Just wait till I start telling everyone what a nice chap Jay is.

I think 'polite' might be a better description. I just couldn't bring myself to tell the weird beardy man begging the introductions to chefs, to go away. It's a character failing.

Jay

(Just wait till I start telling everyone what a nice chap Jay is. You'll want to be prepared for that I expect so I'm giving you fair warning).

Enough of us have met him to know it is not true

He is a man of dubious talents and hygene with the deep pockets of his employer to buy acceptance. Er, that's it.

Chef/writer - Now if they had been in the kitchen talking about my supper, that would be inspirational. On a stage collecting a bauble, not a quiver. I leave that to Lynes

S

Didn't anyone tell you about Charlene's tragic opthalmic diagnosis, the very next day? No one said anything to you? Nobody? Oh that's awful. So embarrassing. So embarrassing.

Anyway, at least I don't try to disguise my age by shaving my head. (That's what Ilove about egullet; it never gets personal.)

Jay

I think 'polite' might be a better description. I just couldn't bring myself to tell the weird beardy man begging the introductions to chefs, to go away. It's a character failing.

Jay Rayner is a polite man, except, it would appear, when he has the internet to hide behind.

Jay Rayner is a polite man, except, it would appear, when he has the internet to hide behind.

That can be said for a lot of us.

except I may be slightly more prone to tantrums face to face than my polite demeanor in these forums may belie.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

Oh I just love this alleged quote from Thom :

Mr Hetherington said: “We noticed there has been a real switch away from London and the big cities to regional and countryside restaurants. A lot of chefs have realised (that) instead of slogging their guts out in London they can buy a rural property and people are now willing to travel there.

Presumably so the chefs can slog their guts out in the country instead :laugh:

I need either Thom to explain what he meant (if he did indeed say that) or The Times to explain the logic of their reporter's invention :laugh:

Edited by macrosan (log)

What an interesting thread.

I was going to maintain a steely silence and rise above all the tawdry baiting, but Macrosan, you got me.

A few of my quotes were edited or concertined, but let me explain my comments more fully.

"Chefs have realised that because of lower cost of entry (in terms of property, staff, travel, rates) rather than slogging their guts out for someone else they can actually afford to open their own restaurant in the country and be their own boss. This doesn't mean their actual work lessens or becomes easier, but the attraction of 'pursuing your dream' is pretty strong for these guys."

Something along those lines anyway.

Just to have to say That Andy, Matthew and indeed Jay were model guests, looking stylish and sophisticated and entrancing the room with their sparkling conversation. That said, I was a little worried that Andy was becoming star struck when I noticed him sidling up to Thomas Keller whilst vibrating slightly and frothing at the mouth. Bless.

Cheers

Thom

Edited by thom (log)

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Thom

While I wont rehash last year's conversation about the list ( the words sham and spurious should suffice ) you should ( in all seriousness ) be congratulated for what is an excellent marketing coup

Plenty of column inches, lots of publicity and a good night out

RM should be proud of you and should now give you a sufficient raise to allow you to fulfill you dream of moving to London, if only enough to make it south of the river

S

That said, I was a little worried that Andy was becoming star struck when I noticed him sidling up to Thomas Keller whilst vibrating slightly and frothing at the mouth.

Thats nothing, you should have seen me when I spotted Helena Hell. Frothing at the mouth was the least of it.

That said, I was a little worried that Andy was becoming star struck when I noticed him sidling up to Thomas Keller whilst vibrating slightly and frothing at the mouth.

Thats nothing, you should have seen me when I spotted Helena Hell. Frothing at the mouth was the least of it.

jay mentioned this last night. If I recall through the haze of Buzbag, he used the words "tented trouser"

S

I was wondering why you stood facing the wall :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Simon,

Thank you for such kind words.

In light on your continued (and slightly disturbing) insistence that I move 'closer' to you I would probably spend any raise on bonus on upgraded security at my current abode rather than buying a new one.

Although I admit to being a shameless media-whore I did have to pass on the chance to appear on Richard and Judy. Luckily our esteemed Editor Chris Maillard stepped into the breach, see him squirm tomorrow at 5pm

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

In light on your continued (and slightly disturbing) insistence that I move 'closer' to you I would probably spend any raise on bonus on upgraded security at my current abode rather than buying a new one.

Surely living in Manchester, your abode already resembles that of Charlton Heston's in The Omega Man

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

Manchester

I've received several PMs and e-mails, from bemused non-British members asking -- "What is this Manchester you speak of?"

So here's a brief gloss:

Manchester, is just North of Scotland, at the end of a long and winding road know euphemistically as the M1. Indeed, Manchester was birthplace to the Beatles.

Often refered to as the 'Liverpool of the North', Manchester is the administrative capital of Yorkshire. Manchester, or 'Manx', as it is lovingly refered to by locals, is globally renowned for having the highest suicide rate in the world and also for being the Golden Showers capitial of the Northern Hemisphere.

I hope this answers your question.