• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ChikaLicious

Fat Guy

Trish, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've only been there once so far, so though I had an excellent experience, I really can't say much more than that. I guess I asked only a few questions and mainly watched.

Michael aka "Pan"

i went last week and while they weren't talkative, i didn't think they were rude. i also thought it was one of the most interesting concepts i'd seen for a while and would love to see it take off in the uk. having eaten at espai sucre in barcelona (the world's first desert restaurant i believe) earlier this year, i was keen to see the new york take. i had great company (thank you blondie :-) and we were more interested in talking than asking questions...

in terms of asking them questions the nearest analogy i can make is with going to a sushi bar. i wouldn't ask them loads of questions there (and not just because they have such sharp knives) :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

in terms of asking them questions the nearest analogy i can make is with going to a sushi bar. i wouldn't ask them loads of questions there (and not just because they have such sharp knives) :-)

:biggrin:

Maybe Chik needs to work on the restauranteur "schmooze".

On Seinfeld they still lined up for the Soup Nazi.

No soup for you!!!!Step aside!!!!!

:cool:

Finally I made my first visit to Chikalicious last night. Chika, Donna, and Don were so pleased that I visited there in spite of blizzard. I had Fromage Blanc, which was so delicious. :wub: I even asked Chika and Donna how to make it, but they just laughed and told me to buy Fromage in a store. Don told me that when Chika was a child, her parents took her to a shop in Tokyo to eat Fromage Blanc. It was so memorable for her that she worked very hard to recreate the Fromage Blanc the way she remembers. Just before she opened Chikalicious, she was almost hired by Union Pacific, who loved her Fromage Blanc, but she turned down the opportunity and here she is now at Chikalicious! Fromage Blanc is her signiture desert and her child, so please everyone who hasn't had Fromage Blanc, go there and enjoy the desert. It's so heavenly. :biggrin:

Check out the latest meal!

Itadakimasu

I wsa surprised that they don't take reservations on Sat. night

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The odd thing is they seem to encourage chatting on the Chikalicious website where it says:

"If you are passionate about food, here is your chance to both enjoy fabulous desserts and chat with the chefs."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

i'd like to reiterate what i said on the original "chikalicious" thread...i'm with TrishCT...i so wanted to love this place. what a way for pastry chefs to get their due with regard to independence, press, credit, etc. but, i was disappointed as well.

i won't say that chika and donna were "cold". they were professional and focused. i understand that, as i am also a cook of the pastry persuasion. i'm not one to chat while i'm plating up desserts. but their set-up does ask for interaction and they should be prepared to be sparkling to their guests.

again, i'll say that i'd expect a little more from their menu. it sounds like TrishCt had the same petit fours that i had about two months ago. the frommage blanc "cheesecake" being a signature dessert, i'd expect the others to change or to have more desserts to offer. how hard is it to change petit fours?! not very.

i love the concept and i think they're doing a decent job, but definitely not stellar. they're certainly not pushing themselves nor are they asking their customers to expect more from them.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Chickalicious yesterday after burger club - below is my report.

I arrived just before 4pm - the tables were filled, and 7 people were sitting at the counter. Don sat me at the bar and asked me if I had ever been there before - I said no, but had read alot about it on egullet. He seemed pleased and said a number of egullet members have visited them in the past few months. He handed me a menu and pointed out some new offerings, and made the point of saying that the Fromage Blanc was the signature dessert. So... I ordered that with the suggested wine (I think it was Jurancon Uroulat 2001 - copied off the website), and an additional course (extra $7) of Chocolate Pudding with a Banana Salad Napoleon and Mint Froth.

Chicka greeted me and presented me with my Amuse. It was a cranberry soup with vanilla sorbet. What I liked about this dessert (and the other items that I tasted) was the balance. Many times with cranberries - it is either to tart or too sweet - this was perfect, and the cool vanilla sorbet played off it nicely.

My wine and Formage Blanc Island Cheesecake arrived next. It was slightly larger than a golf ball and nestled in a bowl of crushed ice and topped with cream. At first glance and looking at some of the other customers plates - I thought maybe I ordered wrong. After the first bite - I decided I had ordered correctly. It was smooth, creamy, and had a slight tang. I know nothing about wine, but liked the combination - it was sweet and cut through the richness very nicely.

The Chocolate pudding was my second dessert choice, and also my favorite. The pudding was thick, dense and rich with chocolate flavor. The banana salad that accompanied it comprised of diced banana mixed with orange juice, simple syrup, and walnut oil that was sandwiched between thin chocolate wafers. The foam was cream that was heated and infused with mint tea than frothed with a small mixer - it had a very strong mint flavor, but in a good way.

The Petit Fours were a Coconut Marshmallow, a Chocolate Chip Cookie, and a Shortbread topped with some type cream and a pistachio. The marshmallow was my favorite, and I don't particularly like coconut. The chocolate chip cookie was a disappointment - after eating it I said to myself - well that was a waste.

A couple of notes. First - It was very hot - almost to the point of being really uncomfortable at the counter. I'm not sure if this was because it was unusually warm outside in NYC yesterday or if it was because Donna was doing alot of production work and was constantly opening the oven doors/using the burners to prep for the night. Secondly, I could see how some people would think this is a poor value. The desserts are very small - many would be a petit four at most restaurants. They were all very good, the ingredients were top notch, but none of them wowed me, and after dropping over $30 - I was still hungry. Please don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the experience (something about watching chefs work is so cool), would probably go back (great date place), but I would be selective with my recommendations to friends.

johnjohn

Thanks for the report, johnjohn.

I note that your report is mainly positive, but my takes on your main criticisms are that:

(1) I definitely don't think it's a place to fill oneself to the gills, but I like that because it means that one doesn't have to feel stuffed after having 3 desserts.

(2)I think the price is OK, considering what desserts and wine go for in upscale restaurants.

Michael aka "Pan"

johnjohn, I thought your report was very good. (You got a much warmer reception than my party did, and I also mentioned E-gullet.) Pan, even though you might think you are getting 3 desserts here, the petits fours are a half bite each. I don't even count them as 1/4 of a dessert.

Alana, thank you for agreeing with me. :smile: As I'm sure you feel, it's very difficult writing a somewhat negative review about something that seems so good... But it needed to be done.

I personally would not mind paying a few dollars more for a larger portion of the main dessert course and foregoing the petits fours.

For others who haven't been and are thinking of going... Chikalicious may seem like a bargain ($12 for 3 courses) but the tab for my party of 5 was $100, including tax but NOT tip. The extras we had were one House Cocktail (Prosecco & a dollop of Quince, $10 for one flute) one iced tea, and one hot tea (the other 2 had tap water). Very pricey for a light snack that left us all wanting.

As a date place, yep I can see that...Also, I can see it as a fave for the neighborhood folks.... I would love to return sometime in the future to find more complexity and richness.

I'm planning on dropping into Chikalicious tomorrow with two others -- I'll be sure to post a report.

Should I bother making a reservation? I was planning on just walking in, that'll be alright, right?

It's a tiny spot, I recommend making a reservation, but on a weeknight it may not be as crowded. Enjoy!

I'm planning on dropping into Chikalicious tomorrow with two others -- I'll be sure to post a report.

Should I bother making a reservation?  I was planning on just walking in, that'll be alright, right?

It's a tiny spot, I recommend making a reservation, but on a weeknight it may not be as crowded. Enjoy!

Welp, it was closed (closed until Friday, I think). I'll be back on Saturday.

• 4 weeks later...

i went to Chikalicious twice in the last two weeks, its incredible!!! only dessert place, I had their signature "cheescake", a light airy dome of what almost seemed to be a mousse, no crust, seved in a bed of shaved ice, paried with a wonderful moscato that gave it a savory taste even though it was perfectly sweet, also had the chocolate tart with pink peppercorn sorbet, as i broke into the tart it gushed perfectly warm ganache, it was small, but anymore would have made me keel over in ecstasy...its a very small space, about 10 seats at the bar and four small tables along a white leather banquette, the best part is sitting at the bar watching the two pastry chefs prepare your dessert, Chika herself is always smiling, make sure you check this place out

I had another fabulous CHICKALICIOUS experience last night with my visiting Australian friend.

Amuse- Expresso Gelee with Mascarpone Sorbet

I had a semolina souffle with kumquat compote and vanilla icecream. It was very homey and comforting- mixed with the exotic kumquat and creamy vanilla it was really lovely. My friend had the warm chocolate tart with peppercorn icecream and red wine sauce which she loved,,,,, I couldnt have her go back to OZ without trying the Fromage Island so we ordered that too. I still say its like eating a cloud! Heaven!

Petits Fours: coconut marshmellow, pepper biscotti, little itty bitty chocolate cake with whipped cream

All in all it was another wonderful delicious experience! Donna, Chika and Don couldn t have been nicer!

Edited by jeunefilleparis (log)

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I havent been on for a while. I just got back from a couple of months in South America, but its nice to be in NYC again

In any case, i went to an "old" favorite of mine. I went early on so that it wasnt very busy yet. I chose the apple pudding cake with creme fraiche sauce and a granny apple sorbet. The cake was really rich and delicious, that paired with the creaminess of the creme fraiche and the cold, refreshing taste of the granny apple sorbet made for a lovely combination.

as always they were very friendly and i sat at the bar so i could watch Donna and Chika prepare the desserts. There was a pregnant woman there who ate two fromage blanc ile flottantes, that was pretty impressive!

hope that everyone has been well

Lauren

Homer

That pregnant woman is my sister-in-law! Apparently the myth that the ile flotant induces labor is just that. Avra is still carrying the baby around.

Love the Chika.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone

I had a wonderful dessert at chikalicious the other night. It was a dried fruit risotto with an almond tuile and roasted almond icecream. The risotto was more like rice pudding and was perfect in consistancy. the risotto was the size of a petri dish and the almond tuile covered it and was a bit large with the roasted almond icream on top. it was delicious. I really enjoyed the 3 different textures together, the smooth, cold, of the icream followed by the crisp sweet tuile and then to the semi sweet softness of the risotto. all in all very nicely done. the amuse was a lemon milk sorbert on an orange agar agar ( i cant have any of the gelees anymore since i m a vegetarian)

On another note, as I walked in I noticed a new woman behind the counter and my heart skipped a beat, where was Donna, but then she reappeared so I was confused. When you go to a restaurant so often and become friendly with the chefs you get attached! I hadnt been there in two months and Donna told me that she wondered if she would see me again since this was her last week there.

Her replacement is a very nice woman named Sofia who has come from Gramercy Tavern. It was interesting to watch Sofia work as Chika guided her through the proper way to plate the desserts and what not.

anyways, the place was croweded as always and the new spring desserts all seem interesting. It s almost their 2 year anniversary too!

I hope that everyone is doing well

cheers

lauren

Homer

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Having visited Room 4 Dessert yesterday evening, I thought tonight was as good a night as any to stop by Chikalicious. While I enjoyed all of the items I tried, I found them to be quite simple in theory and execution. To be sure, the execution was more than competent, but many of the items were not unlike something I might come up with and attempt to (poorly) execute. And I have zero pastry skill.

My preferences toward things modern has been made explicitly clear during my time on eG. While I cannot criticize Chikalicious on any tangible grounds, I founds the desserts lacked passion and spark. They served me what I want, when I wanted it, with a big smile and obvious professionalism, but this still left me wanting more. The desserts were more or less as I imagined them, and I didn't feel the need to try to think about what I was eating on a deeper level. For some this may be ideal, but I was merely content and happy, not intrigued and hungry for more.

Chikalicious is a solid place and certainly worth a repeat visit. The flavor combinations are very logical without being staid, but no more than that.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

• 5 months later...

I've been on a three-and-a-half-year losing streak with ChikaLicious. Every single time I've gone there to eat it's been closed. Sure, I could walk by it on the way to somewhere else and it would be open. But everytime I've turned down East 10th St. with the intent to procure dessert: grating down.

Until last night.

I think I'm sorry I didn't get to this place until after Room 4 Dessert opened. Because Room 4 Dessert has simply raised the bar on what I expect from a dessert place like this. Everything was excellently prepared. But I wasn't astonished. Now, a couple of years ago, it wouldn't have occurred to me to expect to be astonished by dessert. But now that I have eaten of the tree of knowledge, I cannot go back.

I'll let Bryan speak for me, because I think he got it just right:

While I cannot criticize Chikalicious on any tangible grounds, I founds the desserts lacked passion and spark.  They served me what I want, when I wanted it, with a big smile and obvious professionalism, but this still left me wanting more.  The desserts were more or less as I imagined them, and I didn't feel the need to try to think about what I was eating on a deeper level.  For some this may be ideal, but I was merely content and happy, not intrigued and hungry for more.

Chikalicious is a solid place and certainly worth a repeat visit.  The flavor combinations are very logical without being staid, but no more than that.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)