• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detroit Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Is any one attending the SOS event at tribute?  Anything new in happening in the area?

It hard to keep updated when i'm so far away, so come on guys fill me in.

New restaurants?  How is logan doing in ann arbor, and how about the one that took the place of the cajun joint on main st?  Been to eve lateley?  Anything new in downtown detriot?

i have to say that i miss something things there... just not the snow factor.

What's the SOS event at Tribute - there isn't anything on their website about it.

The link found in this eGS Calendar entry will take you to some information about the event (scroll down a bit).

But please, let's try to keep discussion about upcoming events out of the forums. However, if we're reporting on events we've attended, that's not a problem.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I visited family in Birmingham and Lathrup Village this spring. One bright spot is the presence of Whole Foods in the area. Perhaps that will inspire some local chefs to turn it up a bit.

I was taken for a meal to a fairly decent Asian/fusion restaurant in the area - I can't remember where or the name. All I remember is that the table had a piece of butcher paper on it so that our server could write her name on it with a flourish. I was quite taken aback: have never seen that anywhere else. The food was pretty good. And you have that great middle eastern market downtown, right?

I was taken for a meal to a fairly decent Asian/fusion restaurant in the area - I can't remember where or the name. All I remember is that the table had a piece of butcher paper on it so that our server could write her name on it with a flourish. I was quite taken aback: have never seen that anywhere else. The food was pretty good. And you have that great middle eastern market downtown, right?

I think you're talking about Mon Jin Lau, which is one of my all time favorite restaurants. I frequently picked it for my birthday dinner when I was a teenager and in college. They were doing Asian fusion before fusion was a word.

I think you're talking about Mon Jin Lau, which is one of my all time favorite restaurants. I frequently picked it for my birthday dinner when I was a teenager and in college. They were doing Asian fusion before fusion was a word.

Unless they've changed things drastically in the last few years, Mon Jin Lau doesn't do the "write on the paper tablecloth" thing. They've got more class than that. :biggrin:

One expects to see such things at semi-upscale (and not oversaturated) chains like Macaroni Grill. Perhaps it was a place along those lines?

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

greetings metro detroiters:

im new to this board, and i couldnt help but notice that about 7 or 8 cleveland threads popped up in the course of a day, whereas our board hardly got any action...let's bring it back!

im fairly new to the area [metro dtw], but no stranger of course, to ann arbor, where i schooled for 4 years. i have found such a dearth of great food (particularly in the cheaper end) in the area, and im always on the prowl for something new.

has anyone been to a cajun joint up in pontiac? i have heard about their gumbo and po'boys, but always from the same source (i believe it may've been metrotimes or freepress) and havent yet committed to making the drive from royal oak. any tips?

has anyone been to the banh mi place on 13 mi & dequindre?? ('cyber cafe'...cheesy name, i know)

id have to say one of my all-time favorite places is across the river in windsor. it's a place called the cook's shop / the pasta shop. very dark, old-world european feel...all house-made pasta, and the best caesar salad ive had...AND reasonable prices to boot!

other favorites: noble fish, vietnamese in madison heights (john r/dequindre), zingerman's (ann arbor), kosmo's (ann arbor), JEFFERSON MARKET (!ann arbor!).

i also had a really tasty "chef's mood" (tasting menu) at three: a tasting bar last winter, although i havent been back since. but still, where else is there, metro detroit?? of particular interest: moderately priced-cheap, really great food...i welcome all ethnic foods. i have to wander down to dearborn b/c i hear good stuff, as well as check out the polish cafe in hamtramck.

ALSO...another thing i dearly want....PASTRIES PASTRIES PASTRIES. i live for pastries. there is nothign more divine than a french patisserie. i have yet to find someothing to satify my sweet toooth. charlie's in birmingham has some decent stuff. hte new pastry place in birmingham across from the theater has been just OK in my opinion...what do u guys think? jefferson market in ann arbor comes closest, as well as zingerman's. but how about oakland county? le petit prince was passable but not divine... help?

Best ice cream?? (you knew i had to ask) most unique flavors? homemade?

i was excited to see a new place open down the street from me (frostbites, 9 mi & woodward), but alas, i was so disappointed!!!!! help!

icecreamparty, have you been to Angel's Cafe in Ferndale? They have great food and are reasonably priced. (dinner hours M,WThF,Sun, lunch and dinner Sat, closed Tu)

Also, just down the street May's thai is a good deal. We order carry-out for lunch fairly frequently (once a week or so)

Christine's over by 9 Mile and Hilton(?by the RR trax) is pretty good, though I have only eaten there at lunch time.

Pita Cafe is yummy and reasonable too - Greenfield just south of 696.

greetings metro detroiters:

im new to this board, and i couldnt help but notice that about 7 or 8 cleveland threads popped up in the course of a day, whereas our board hardly got any action...let's bring it back!

im fairly new to the area [metro dtw], but no stranger of course, to ann arbor, where i schooled for 4 years. i have found such a dearth of great food (particularly in the cheaper end) in the area, and im always on the prowl for something new.

has anyone been to a cajun joint up in pontiac? i have heard about their gumbo and po'boys, but always from the same source (i believe it may've been metrotimes or freepress) and havent yet committed to making the drive from royal oak. any tips?

has anyone been to the banh mi place on 13 mi & dequindre?? ('cyber cafe'...cheesy name, i know)

id have to say one of my all-time favorite places is across the river in windsor. it's a place called the cook's shop / the pasta shop. very dark, old-world european feel...all house-made pasta, and the best caesar salad ive had...AND reasonable prices to boot!

other favorites: noble fish, vietnamese in madison heights (john r/dequindre), zingerman's (ann arbor), kosmo's (ann arbor), JEFFERSON MARKET (!ann arbor!).

i also had a really tasty "chef's mood" (tasting menu) at three: a tasting bar last winter, although i havent been back since. but still, where else is there, metro detroit?? of particular interest: moderately priced-cheap, really great food...i welcome all ethnic foods. i have to wander down to dearborn b/c i hear good stuff, as well as check out the polish cafe in hamtramck.

ALSO...another thing i dearly want....PASTRIES PASTRIES PASTRIES. i live for pastries. there is nothign more divine than a french patisserie. i have yet to find someothing to satify my sweet toooth. charlie's in birmingham has some decent stuff. hte new pastry place in birmingham across from the theater has been just OK in my opinion...what do u guys think? jefferson market in ann arbor comes closest, as well as zingerman's. but how about oakland county? le petit prince was passable but not divine... help?

Best ice cream?? (you knew i had to ask) most unique flavors? homemade?

i was excited to see a new place open down the street from me (frostbites, 9 mi & woodward), but alas, i was so disappointed!!!!! help!

Welcome to eGullet, icecreamparty. Great screen name, btw, but you already knew that.

I see you joined eG on July 9; too bad you couldn't make it to our Gathering in Ann Arbor the following weekend.

Glad to hear that The Cook's Shop is still in business. I remember going there a good 25 years ago. Here's a nice review I just dug up: clicky

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Welcome to eGullet, icecreamparty. Great screen name, btw, but you already knew that.

I see you joined eG on July 9; too bad you couldn't make it to our Gathering in Ann Arbor the following weekend.

Glad to hear that The Cook's Shop is still in business. I remember going there a good 25 years ago. Here's a nice review I just dug up: clicky

Wow, thanks for the welcome. i actually had meandered over to this board and read the thread about the gathering and that alone spurred my membership...but for whatever reason, was unable to commit for that weeekend..hopefully there are more to come!

speaking of events, refer to my listing re: ice cream further down. no responses as of yet.. :(

Edited by icecreamparty (log)

Re. ice cream - Zingerman's is making some lovely gelatos at their Creamery in Ann Arbor.  Riso is probably their oddest (think rice pudding).  The Burnt Sugar is my absolute favorite.

zing's gelato is probably the finest frozen dessert ive had locally. in fact, the aforementioned ''event'' may involve them as well. the best/most interesting ive had thus far within a 4 hour driving radius (note that i havent checked out chicago's ice cream scene) is in toronto's kensington market. it's called kensington organic ice cream: here's a photo, and features the spicy side of ice cream: think rosepetal vanilla, chocolate ginger, chocolate w/ coffee and cayenne, vanilla & cardamom....(note these arent the sexy names they use, but rather just meant to explain the ingredients). he may be participating as well.

i made a burnt sugar last week...and a black sesame..yum! im wondering if any detroit restaurants have any interesting ice cream? housemade or imported into their kitchens from some enterprising ice cream maker..? since i dont fine dine alone so often here, i havent checked on that...although i do know my friend duc tang at pacific rim (ann arbor) makes some good stuff..last time i checked, a very banana-y walnut...any others u guys know of?

There's an absolutely amazing ice cream place in North Market in Columbus OH. Geni's or something like that? Anyway - amazing flavors - chocolate curry coconut, caramel with smoked almond, lavender, and more. Sooo good.

Eve in Kerrytown in Ann Arbor was serving some nice ice creams that they were importing from Toronto. Don't know if they are still or not - last time I asked, they didn't have any rose, which they used to serve.

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

There's an absolutely amazing ice cream place in North Market in Columbus OH.  Geni's or something like that?  Anyway - amazing flavors - chocolate curry coconut, caramel with smoked almond, lavender, and more.  Sooo good.

Eve in Kerrytown in Ann Arbor was serving some nice ice creams that they were importing from Toronto.  Don't know if they are still or not - last time I asked, they didn't have any rose, which they used to serve.

nice to see that this thread is at the top of the list for activity for once :)...even if it can be attributed to just a few of us for the most part :) hmm..that mention may warrant a trip down to ohio...any other notable food places down south along the way to make it worthwhile ? ((of course i know cleveland has some..ive read about symon's lola/lolita...anyway, i know ill have to enquire into the cleveland/ohio threads for an answer to this). would prefer it to be a 1-day trip but i think the drive to columbus might be long for that (not sure).

funny that you mention eve! i am all too familiar w/ their ice cream..as a matter of fact, i had a brief stint workingi there last summer, when they served a spectacular assortment of rose, rum raisin, vanilla bean, and my all-time favorite, pistachio w/ cardamom & saffron (like kulfi)... i know i forgot one or two. all but the vanilla bean were from toronto. at any rate, due to the border rules tightening, they now serve zingerman's gelato, including the said burnt sugar. sad that that had to go because i was much anticipating my scoop of pistachio w/ c+s on my last visit.

id like to report that yesterday i braved a relatively lengthy midday commute to pontiac to sample a place id only heard of via a random metrotimes article: andre's louisiana seafood. tired of the local offerings and anxious for a true food find, i knew not what to expect. what i did get, though, definitely will warrant repeat visits.

pontiac in general is a bit run down, but it seems the downtown area is undergoing a bit of revival. andre's is located on w huron st, just down the street from the main "downtown" area. it is only a take-out joint and thus, it consists simply of a long wooden bench as a waiting area, television, and glassed-in kitchen, where andre and wife dorothy williams take your order, prepare, and package your meal as you wait. a note of caution: everything is prepared upon ordering, and thus wait times can be longer than your usual takeout (i waited 20 mins for my catfish po'boy, but alas i was not disappointed!). i am no veteran of cajun cuisine, but the sandwich definitely hit the spot...with the crispy spiced catfish, slight sour note of the pickles melded with a smear of mayonnaise, and accompanying crunch of the shredded lettuce, all presented on a soft roll (allegedly imported from Louisiana) more than justified the drive. it was a generous portion (i ordered the "half " sandwich, which ran me about $7 incl. tax), but i am not one to turn down dessert..especially when it promises to be all house-made by the motherly ms. williams. on offer were her sweet potato pie, peach cobbler, bread pudding w/ rum sauce, and pecan pie. all are a bargain at $2 each. being a true fan of bread pudding, sweet potato pie AND pecan pie, it was a tough call, but i opted for the bread pudding with rum sauce. dorothy surprised me by dishing out a warm portion of sweet potato pie as a "sample" and wow, it was good. not your traditioanl sweet potato pie, its crust was not the flaky variety..and the sweet potato portion of it tasted almost souffle-like in its lightness...she proudly informed me that it was low-fat and made with skim milk...which helped me justify following that up with a generous portion of bread pudding. the bread pudding was great, but again, non-traditional. it seemed the bread had been soaked for a long time (the best example texturewise that comes to mind is a baba au rum, where the dough has been soaked in liquid), and it was interspersed with raisins, pecans, and bits of peaches. it was good, but i would say, probably not the best bread pudding ive ever had. but still delicious, nonetheless.

overall, i had a very enjoyable meal courtesy of ms williams, who in my mind, embodied what i would expect of true Southern hospitality (they came from down South)...she informed me that they will be having a booth in downtown pontiac during the wward dream cruise, so if you have a hankering for some cajun, it's definitely worth the trip.

disclaimer: im no cajun expert...i cannot vouch for this food over say, true new orleans cajun, but IMHO it was good nonetheless. didnt get a chance to try the gumbo, jambalaya, etc.

http://www.andreslouisianaseafood.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some news for your Corey - it appears that that space on Main is cursed - Rush Street is already dead.

Any recommendations from the assembled masses for really good, really interesting LUNCH in Detroit ? High end would be good, ethnic and interesting would be good too...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

if you dont mind crossing the river, there is a small quaint place in windsor that is great. i have only been for dinner though. it's asian-ish/latin-ish 'tapas' style small plates, and absolutely wonderful. it's called "three: a tasting bar". wah court in windsor is known for its dim sum and used to be a huge bargain (it still is cheaper than stateside) but the american dollar is relatively weak right now.

i had a very delicious veggie sandwich on rye at the russell street deli in the eastern market. if youre craving ethnic, perhaps try sometihiing near mexican town, alhtough the ones directly 'in' mexicantown i have not been very impressed with. unfortunately i cant personnally attest to any specific place but i hear there is a great place away from teh main core that has a great menudo.

i have been to el rincon taxacoco (sp?), which is primarily seafood. the seviche was great!

i also hear that eph mcnally's in corktown serves up magnificent sandwiches.

Here's some news for your Corey - it appears that that space on Main is cursed - Rush Street is already dead.

Any recommendations from the assembled masses for really good, really interesting LUNCH in Detroit ?  High end would be good, ethnic and interesting would be good too...

I was going to say Mon Jin Lau too but I've never seen the name on butcher paper anywhere but Macaroni Grill either. :biggrin: Hmm, I wonder where you went. Mon Jin Lau is one of my sister's favorite places and she'd probably like the food at this place too.

I was taken for a meal to a fairly decent Asian/fusion restaurant in the area - I can't remember where or the name. All I remember is that the table had a piece of butcher paper on it so that our server could write her name on it with a flourish. I was quite taken aback: have never seen that anywhere else.

I still think it was Mon Jin Lau. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I could swear I remember the waitress writing her name on the table with a flourish. I am tempted to call them and find out...

Tammy - about lunch in Downtown Detroit - I have recently had two nice business lunches at Andiamo Riverfront in the Renaissance Center. Sweet Lorriane's is less upscale, but good, though they can sometimes be slow during the lunch rush, especially on Thursday and Friday. Opus One is a classic business lunch spot and consistently good. Finally, I've been to Sweet Georgia Brown once for a business lunch, and it was pretty good, but I'd put Andiamo and Opus One ahead of it. Further away from downtown proper, good choices would include Small Plates and Atlas Global Bistro. Just remembered one more high-end choice - Seldom Blues in the Ren Cen. I'd put them third after Opus One and Andiamo.

I still think it was Mon Jin Lau.  I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I could swear I remember the waitress writing her name on the table with a flourish.  I am tempted to call them and find out...

Tammy - about lunch in Downtown Detroit - I have recently had two nice business lunches at Andiamo Riverfront in the Renaissance Center.  Sweet Lorriane's is less upscale, but good, though they can sometimes be slow during the lunch rush, especially on Thursday and Friday.  Opus One is a classic business lunch spot and consistently good.  Finally, I've been to Sweet Georgia Brown once for a business lunch, and it was pretty good, but I'd put Andiamo and Opus One ahead of it.  Further away from downtown proper, good choices would include Small Plates and Atlas Global Bistro.  Just remembered one more high-end choice - Seldom Blues in the Ren Cen.  I'd put them third after Opus One and Andiamo.

Thanks for the recs. I should clarify that I'm not necessarily looking for downtown Detroit, although that's fine. I'm picking up a friend at the airport and looking for somewhere interesting, preferably no more than 30 minutes drive from DTW, although we'd probably go farther if it was worth our while.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

[

Thanks for the recs.  I should clarify that I'm not necessarily looking for downtown Detroit, although that's fine.  I'm picking up a friend at the airport and looking for somewhere interesting, preferably no more than 30 minutes drive from DTW, although we'd probably go farther if it was worth our while.

In that case, I'd recommend Annam in downtown Dearborn. It's upscale Vietnamese. The food and the atmosphere are fabulous.

So, heading up to Alpena on Thursday; plane arrives DTW ca. 12:00. Now, normally I go Middlebelt to Ford Rd. to 275, without fail stopping for sliders at Bray's. (A) Problem 1: I'm in the middle of a 2-week no-carb thingie, though I could order a couple of doubles -bun and -sauce, but then there's (B) Problem 2: GF doesn't eat red meat.

I've checked out most of the relevant threads (western suburbs, missing in Michigan, etc.) and there've been a few recs for the Novi/Northville area. Emily's sounds good, but only open for dinner. Ditto Five Lakes Grille. There was a mention of a place whose name escapes me, grillish but take-out only. I'd prefer to sit down somewhere.

By the time I hit Flint, it'll be too late. I'll grab some stupid sh*t if I don't eat prior. Anyone with anything along the 275/96/23 route? I mean, ANYTHING -- from low to high -- as long as GF can get sumpin' other than beef and I can get creative with the no-carb business.

So, heading up to Alpena on Thursday; plane arrives DTW ca. 12:00.  Now, normally I go Middlebelt to Ford Rd. to 275, without fail stopping for sliders at Bray's.  (A) Problem 1: I'm in the middle of a 2-week no-carb thingie, though I could order a couple of doubles -bun and -sauce, but then there's (B) Problem 2: GF doesn't eat red meat.

I've checked out most of the relevant threads (western suburbs, missing in Michigan, etc.) and there've been a few recs for the Novi/Northville area.  Emily's sounds good, but only open for dinner.  Ditto Five Lakes Grille.  There was a mention of a place whose name escapes me, grillish but take-out only.  I'd prefer to sit down somewhere.

By the time I hit Flint, it'll be too late.  I'll grab some stupid sh*t if I don't eat prior.  Anyone with anything along the 275/96/23 route?  I mean, ANYTHING -- from low to high -- as long as GF can get sumpin' other than beef and I can get creative with the no-carb business.

There are some suitable japanese places around novi-- probably the best in the area. AJISHIN for noodle soups (udon, ramen), as well as sushi selection. CHERRY BLOSSOM for authentic japanese appetizers, sushi and a full menu. they are both right near the twelve oaks mall off of 96.

I think some of the best low-carb without being deliberately low-carb can be found at Middle Eastern restaurants. Just skip the bread and rice, and you can have some really nicely seasoned grilled meats and veggies. (Though the bread is hard to skip when it's fresh!). If you get off I275 at the 12 Mile Rd. exit, and turn right, there is a La Shish about 2 miles down on the left side. Check their web site for exact location - but it's not too much of a detour and the food is fabulous.

I think some of the best low-carb without being deliberately low-carb can be found at Middle Eastern restaurants.  Just skip the bread and rice, and you can have some really nicely seasoned grilled meats and veggies.  (Though the bread is hard to skip when it's fresh!).  If you get off I275 at the 12 Mile Rd. exit, and turn right, there is a La Shish about 2 miles down on the left side.  Check their web site for exact location - but it's not too much of a detour and the food is fabulous.

Thanks, A2foodie. La Shish it is! Like, 2 mins from the 275/96 interchange. Perfect. Yeah, and the ME kitchen's most doable on low/no-carb. Bit tough to find the website, but here it is *duh*: La Shish

BTW: Ex-A2 foodie myself. Arranging a gtg w/old friends for Sunday. Picking up a boatload of Zingie's stuff (yup, tough on no-carb) and proceeding to the Arb.

Thanks again.