• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detroit Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Yes indeed, I have sir! 2-3 times in the past month or so. Still very, very good. If they have their mulligatawny soup, do *not* miss it. The trout that they nearly always have is very good, and I always like their cranberry turkey sandwich. Better yet, get yourself a soup-and-half-sandwich combo, and be very happy indeed.

Oh, and dessert? Save room if Ed's got one of his homemade cakes, or if it appeals to you, he does a three nut pie that I'm told he's quite well known for.

I really love this place. You should be safe going there for lunch, but if you want dinner, *be there* by 6:15PM to order the full menu. If not, the grill will probably be off.

Glad you enjoyed Steves, I know that I have certainly enjoyed the Weekday Cafe. I recently moved back to St Clair Shores from Sterling Heights and me and my girl had been looking for a good soup and sandwich place, which wasn't easy to find either (hmm...do I smell a new thread coming along?) Chef Ed's certainly fit the bill with great soups and REASONABLY PORTIONED SANDWICHES. I know right? Who still does that? Why wouldn't I want a 4# pastrami sandwich? Oh yeah, because I only have one stomach... But a great recommendation, I go there for the soup alone :)

I'll be back in the metro area for a couple of days next month, and my schedule will finally allow me an opportunity to hit Weekday Cafe for lunch. Has anyone been there recently?

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been to Due Venti in Clawson yet? Northern Italian, 50 seats, everything -- including pasta -- house made. Sounds really good. No reviews so far on Yelp.

Detroit Free Press review

Detroit News review

their wine list story (all wines are from Fenn Valley Vinyards)

We went yesterday -- our second time (our first was in late spring), and it's already become a favorite. I know this place hasn't been lacking for positive press, but I think it's deserved. I'm real glad it's here.

The only quibble we had yesterday was that it was quite warm in the restaurant. Granted it was the warmest day we've had so far in this unusually mild summer, and they claimed the air conditioner was cranked up full.

No complaints about anything else: food, service, atmosphere, prices, even the Michigan-made house wines. I may be overlooking some flaws, but that's because even if some things aren't as good as one could possibly imagine, they seem to be making every effort and in a way that suggests personal and professional pride rather than some marketing-based rationale. That goes a long way in my book.

It comes down to this -- my wife and I cleaned out every plate: appetizer, salad, entrees, dessert. We hardly ever do that. We had a five month old baby with us -- the next table had a 2-year old -- and somehow that did not detract from the comfortable, welcoming, intimate setting. Some patrons were dressed casually; others in "nice restaurant" clothes, and neither seemed out of place.

I noticed there's talk on the boards about the 2010 Heartland gathering. If it does end up in Ann Arbor and extend to metro Detroit, I'd consider incorporating this place.

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving through the area on Wednesday and decided to stop by Roast. I'm a big Michael Symon fan, and this was the only (current) restaurant of his that I hadn't experienced.

I really lucked out, because they were introducing a revamped menu and the executive chef was in the house. I was not expecting Chef Symon to be there, so that was a nice surprise.

Here are a couple of new apps on the menu:

gallery_12922_6716_139835.jpg

Beef Tartare with Uni Foam and Avocado.

I think that's the description - the web site hasn't been updated with the new menu yet. The texture and seasoning of the beef were spot-on. Just a hint of chili (I think), and the meat was cut in a nice fine dice - lending the perfect degree of "tooth". The uni topping adds a subtle and refreshing hint of the ocean.

The quality of the sea urchin is impeccable. I have to admit to being a bit nervous ordering this. When uni is fresh it's absolutely sublime. My experiences with uni in the U.S. have been mixed. This was on a par with what I've had in Japan. When you say "Michael Symon", the word "seafood" is probably not the first thing that comes to mind. :wink: But he's as serious about serving great seafood and vegetables as he is about red meat (his obvious signature).

Speaking of seafood, another new menu item:

gallery_12922_6716_101201.jpg

The Lobster Roll

This is a half-portion (comp disclosure - Chef Symon brought this out for me to sample after I'd already had the tartare and the "Roast Beast of the Day".) I was already pretty full, and intended to just taste a bit. I finished the whole thing. This is a classic Michael Symon dish: Take a familiar, somewhat humble dish (yes, lobster used to be humble), pay attention to the quality of the ingredients, and add some subtle "upscale" touches.

The lobster meat was delicious. Nice big chunks of tender, flavorful lobster. Pretty much what you'd expect on the northeastern seaboard, but very welcome here in the "Heartland". It was dressed in a lovely mayonnaise. There's your "haut" upgrade. A great sauce, with a touch of herbs (tarragon?). Also, the bun was appropriately split from the top, and it was soft and slightly sweet. Again, echoing the classic "humble" dish.

My main dish was the "Roast Beast of the Day", which on this occasion was spit-roasted baby lamb with salsa verde and cracklings. This was very reminiscent of the slow-cooked suckling pig they do at Symon's Cleveland restaurant Lolita. Funny how suckling pig and baby lamb seem so similar. Baby goat (kid) also has that quality. I'd like to see what they do with a more mature animal. Maybe it takes too long to spit-roast a big hunk of pork, beef, or ( :shock::raz: ) mutton. I liked this dish, but when I return to Roast I'll try something else from the mains. Or just order a bunch of apps, all of which look awesome.

Dessert was a "Beer and Pretzels" sundae that sure sounds like a Cory Barrett treatment. I didn't ask who does their desserts. I was already stuffed, especially with the half-portion of lobster roll. Somehow I managed to make room for dessert.

Wish that Detroit were just a bit closer. Can't believe I just said that!

• 5 years later...

Hello- Five years is way too long, we need to revive this thread!!! So.......Asian Food/Tea is my passion. I plan to limit my remarks/ comments to those areas. And, for the sake of clarity, I define "Asia" as anything between the Middle East ( technically Western Asia) and the Orient (technically Eastern Asia). So, what are your favorite Asian places in the TriCounty area?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 4 months later...

Here is a list of the best restaurants in Detroit. Obviously, This is not my list. But, in general, these places reflect what Detroit is all about food-wise.

http://detroit.eater.com/maps/the-38-essential-detroit-restaurants-january-2015      

Comments?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 6 months later...

Visited the Detroit area for the 1st time last month. Was only there about 36 hours. Had 2 meals, one good, another, very good.

My daughter and SIL recommended the Brooklyn Street Local for brunch. They serve traditional breakfasts and lunches, w. a selection of vegetarian/vegan. I had the grilled cheese, w. extra melted onions. Very good flavor, bread fried crisp. The melted onions were perhaps a bit more than needed. The side of fries remained crisp for the entire meal. My wife had the traditional poutine, my daughter, the vegan version. Both seemed pleased, although my wife could barely finish the portion. My SIL had the hangover special, and made a mistake ordering extra fries. He was able to finish everything, but was quite stuffed.

I guess you could call the ambience hipster diner, though there were a number of families there for the brunch. A good view of the ruins of the Grand Central station in the distance.

After visiting the Art Museum, (splendid!) we went to the Selden Standard. I'd read that they set aside a portion of the seating for walk-ins, so despite being a very popular new place, it was possible to visit w/o a reservation. I really wanted to visit, so we arrived there about 20 minutes before the doors were to open. There were already people getting in line. After entering we were told seating would not start for another half hour when the 1st of the reservation guests were due. Took a seat at the bar, where we all enjoyed some good craft brews. They had a wide selection of liquors, bitters and other flavorings. Before we were seated the entire bar area was standing room only.

I had a hard time making up my mind. All the dishes looked interesting. But in the end I opted for the King salmon crudo, because i had never had King salmon. A small but luscious dish. Given that I was still stuffed from brunch, I was happy w. that and the house made bread and butter. My wife and SIL both got the rabbit ragu. I had a few bites, and thought it had some of the best flavor I'd had. Could not identify what went into it, but overall it was  creamy smooth and delicious. My daughter got the market vegetable plate, which was good and some mushroom toasts. She went nuts about that, and said they were possibly the best thing she'd ever eaten.

For the quality, the price was modest. Service was quick and pleasant, tho' given the crowd I suppose later in the evening the staff would probably be a little worse for the wear. The guests I could see looked pleased. Some folks near us got something that smelled like lamb, and I was tempted to make a second order. Would definitely recommend the place.

Overall, there were a lot of places I would have liked to visit, even with the constraint of finding restaurants with a good selection of vegetarian. Was surprised to learn upon returning home that the other place I really wanted to go, the Torino, had abruptly shut down the previous week. Evidently they were to small to hand the number of customers they had, and the health department gave them an ultimatum. Seems like the food scene in and around Detroit is quite good, despite the obvious economic distress of the area.

Oh, and on the way, we stopped at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. We had eaten at the Roadhouse twice before, and were well pleased. The Deli did not disappoint. My wife loves Reuben sandwiches, and said she thought it was better than any other. And what I'd read about shopping at the deli was true. It would be very easy to drop wads of cash on the products there. I managed to get out with only about $120 in damage. It would have been worse, but we were behind schedule, and I pulled myself away before getting lost in the selection of olive oils. Didn't even get near to the smoked fish.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I just found this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5uj98fDt28

I have eaten here many times. So this qualifies as a very hearty recommendation!

Edited by Naftal (log)

• 10 months later...
On 10/2/2014 at 2:34 PM, Naftal said:

Hello- Five years is way too long, we need to revive this thread!!! So.......Asian Food/Tea is my passion. I plan to limit my remarks/ comments to those areas. And, for the sake of clarity, I define "Asia" as anything between the Middle East ( technically Western Asia) and the Orient (technically Eastern Asia). So, what are your favorite Asian places in the TriCounty area?

Best China, Lilly Rd, Canton, is very good. I have been there three or four times and am usually the only non-Asian in the place.

On 2/4/2015 at 2:35 PM, Naftal said:

Here is a list of the best restaurants in Detroit. Obviously, This is not my list. But, in general, these places reflect what Detroit is all about food-wise.

http://detroit.eater.com/maps/the-38-essential-detroit-restaurants-january-2015      

Comments?

I've been to three of the top five (Pupusería y Restaurante Salvadoreño, El Barzon Restaurante, and Taqueria El Rey) and all are excellent, with El Barzon being much fancier than the other two. If you visit any of these, try to save room for desert at Ice Cream La Michuacana (Vernor, three doors west of the Mexicantown Bakery).

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 0:42 AM, GRoston said:

I've been to three of the top five (Pupusería y Restaurante Salvadoreño, El Barzon Restaurante, and Taqueria El Rey) and all are excellent, with El Barzon being much fancier than the other two. If you visit any of these, try to save room for desert at Ice Cream La Michuacana (Vernor, three doors west of the Mexicantown Bakery).

Have you ,or anyone else, been to Taqueria Lupita's or Evie's Tamales? These are two of my personal favorites.