• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detroit Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

yet to confirm that eve is closed for brunch... sad if it's true.

There's no brunch menu listed on the website anymore:

http://www.evetherestaurant.com/apps.htm

It is sad. Their Cuban Reuban sandwich was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

actually - there's a loop that get's you there - go to the wine bar menu - at the bottom, it give you the option of brunch menu!! that's why i thought they still offered it.

u.e.

It seems like a telephone call is in order.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

yet to confirm that eve is closed for brunch... sad if it's true.

There's no brunch menu listed on the website anymore:

http://www.evetherestaurant.com/apps.htm

It is sad. Their Cuban Reuban sandwich was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

actually - there's a loop that get's you there - go to the wine bar menu - at the bottom, it give you the option of brunch menu!! that's why i thought they still offered it.

u.e.

It seems like a telephone call is in order.

tammylc.

alas, the brunch at eve is, indeed, no more... :sad:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

other new things in oakland cty:

frittata in clawson (main st nr 14 mi). surprisingly inviting and cheery breakfast spot that i find far more enticing than the usual offerings (toast, breakfast club, ohop). a little pricier, though.

Ate here today for breakfast. I agree with the above general characterization. My frittata (vegetarian) was $9. The basic frittata is $5 + $1 per extra ingredient. I'm glad this place exists, allowing one to get breakfast food that incorporates things like greens, balsamic vinegar, shallots, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes.

We enjoyed it despite having been in a hurry and failing to anticipate that the food would take slightly longer in coming compared to cheaper, "usual offerings" breakfast places.

We may return, though honestly, I felt just the slightest bit queasy afterwards, but then again, the same thing happened to me after Cafe Zola omelettes, so it might just be me. Actually, Cafe Zola isn't the worst comparison in terms of approach to breakfast, though Frittata is, I think, a cheerier and neater space, albeit with a smaller menu.

Irrelevancy: there's no back door from the parking lot. The door that looks like it might be the back door to Frittata is to the next door burger and ice cream place. The place is called "Grumpy's", which I hope is not a reaction to the undoubted numerous people making the same mistake we did, and walking through the (at the time empty) place to go to Frittata.

Here's the Free Press review (the one they have posted in the restaurant.)

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:nI5L-z...s&ct=clnk&cd=11

Just wanted to thank everyone for the Detroit food suggestions! Here's what I had:

Small Plates - this was a great suggestion. i was by myself so i couldn't taste a lot of things, but the beef with gorgonzola sauce was excellent.

Slow's BBQ - baby backs were ok, but the brisket was excellent - smoky and tender. the restaurant is nice, very mellow and laid-back with a good selection of beers.

Sweet Georgia Brown - this seems like an expensive date place. i did have a deep fried lobster tail which was fantastic.

Let me know if you're ever in NYC - i would be happy to give food suggestions!

As a detroit refugee now in San Francisco I find that about the only thing really missing in this glorious location is Coney Islands. Here is my proposition-if you are San Francisco bound I would gladly trade an epicurean tour of the city for , oh say, a dozen with everything! I would cover the cost of the dogs and lead you on a one day tour of the cuisine/cuisines of your choice through this gourmet's wet dream of a city. Any takers? (dogs must be from American, Lafayette or Athens(Royal Oak) coney Islands. Replys can be made to eniel56@yahoo.com or 415.626.1580.

Thanks,

Eric Nielsen

Had dinner at Boocoo tonight. In another thread, this place was described as "solid" but not much more beyond that. I'll go with that.

I preferred our recent dinner at Fiddleheads, though my wife would disagree. She loved her veal osso buco. The most enjoyable thing I tried was the duck and chestnut ravioli appetizer.

Portions were gigantic. I was full to bursting and still got to take home enough for another meal.

Pretty space, though all the wood made it quite loud even though the restaurant was not crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in - I'm about to turn in... (yeah, yeah, I'm old)... but I saw a commercial blurb about a new resto in Detroit called "Motown Meals?" Or perhaps that was just the teaser for the news broadcast.

Any info anyone?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

This just in - I'm about to turn in... (yeah, yeah, I'm old)... but I saw a commercial blurb about a new resto in Detroit called "Motown Meals?"  Or perhaps that was just the teaser for the news broadcast.

Any info anyone?

u.e.

I heard about it on the radio last night - it's a revamp of La Musique in the St. Regis hotel. A bunch of motown musicians are investing in it and they're supposed to fill the walls with memorabilia and there will be live music. More details here

I was taken for a meal to a fairly decent Asian/fusion restaurant in the area - I can't remember where or the name. All I remember is that the table had a piece of butcher paper on it so that our server could write her name on it with a flourish. I was quite taken aback: have never seen that anywhere else. The food was pretty good. And you have that great middle eastern market downtown, right?

I think you're talking about Mon Jin Lau, which is one of my all time favorite restaurants. I frequently picked it for my birthday dinner when I was a teenager and in college. They were doing Asian fusion before fusion was a word.

Unless they've changed things drastically in the last few years, Mon Jin Lau doesn't do the "write on the paper tablecloth" thing. They've got more class than that. :biggrin:

One expects to see such things at semi-upscale (and not oversaturated) chains like Macaroni Grill. Perhaps it was a place along those lines?

I was at Mon Jin Lau Saturday night, and our waiter absolutely wrote his name (Sebby) on our table!

The food was very good, though.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I was at Mon Jin Lau Saturday night, and our waiter absolutely wrote his name (Sebby) on our table!

The food was very good, though.

Thank you for affirming my memory! I was absolutely sure I was right about that but didn't want to get into an argument. I haven't been there in a while and thought maybe they had discontinued the practice, but I knew they did it in the past.

Regarding comments made about A2:

1) Has Angelo's bowed to pressure yet and started to serve better coffee? I LOVED the French toast made with raisin bread, but that coffee...

2) Tell me more about the dill pickle soup at Amadeus. There's someone up in the Cooking thread, I believe, who's despairing about an excess of dill pickles and wants to know what to do with them. A description posted there might be welcome.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I was at Pacific Rim about a month ago and everything was very solid. Duke is a great guy and took real good care of us. I have a cook who is catching a few shifts over there and he says that buisness is good for dinners and still shakey for lunch.

Alas, I was so disappointed by my first visit over a year ago that I haven't troubled myself with making it back out there... glad to hear positive things though...

Any news or reports from Emily's?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Has anyone been to Cannella's in B'ham recently? I finally made it there for the first time a couple weeks ago and was really disappointed. It was about 4pm on a Saturday, but nowhere near closing time and the case looked tired and sad, at best - and at worst, I saw something that I can only guess was a loaf of burned bread (?!).

I wasn't hungry, but had to try something so I opted for a basic eclair. First off, what's with the white icing?? According to the helpful guy behind the counter, it was a 'vanilla' eclair. Um, ok? I took a bite, hoping for the best and well, it was terrible. There were strange little chunks in the YELLOW pastry cream. Luckily I had my food scientist sister with me to solve the mystery. Her diagnosis? Bits of overcooked egg proteins. Yummy!

I guess I'll stick to making my own, or hoofing it out to Josef's in Grosse Pointe...

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I've posted my recent meal at Emily's Restaurant in Northville on my flickr account.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hi.  Just wanted to let you know that I've posted my recent meal at Emily's Restaurant in Northville on my flickr account. 

u.e.

Sorry your experience wasn't better. I've had one great meal at Emily's and one so-so meal (my food was good, my husband's not so much).

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 3 weeks later...

Morel's - one of Matt Prentice's dining establishments at 12 1/2 mile and Telegraph has completely changed their menu. With wine now being priced the same as retail in the stores, one can get away pretty cheaply now - probably less that $75 per person including tips, etc.

The new menu has 6 parts and most items in the $10 range. They are called: Pick Up Sticks, Sliders, To Start, Small Plates, Small Bowls, and Greens and Veggies. The Pick Up Sticks and the Sliders are fun to pass around. A single To Start for all to dig into and then an individual Small Plates, or Small Bowls, or Greens and Veggies really fills one up.

"Pick Up Sticks" are things like BBQ Prawns or Maine Lobster Corn Dogs. "Sliders" (named after White Castle hamburgers) examples are Southwest Chicken, Beef Tenderloin or Meat Loaf, all served in a bun. A "To Start" plate could be Artisan Cheese Platter. "Small Plates" are things like salmon, lamb and filet. And my favorite "Small Bowl" is Morel's Mushroom Mac 'N Cheese.

Most evenings one can find Madeline Triffon as the sommelier. She is one of 14 women Master Sommelier in the world. And she now has lots of $22 bottles and a nice list of Michigan wines.

Just a fun place to go with friends...

I've herd only good things about Tribute...

Since the chef change, or just in general?

Pretty much in general, although I havent herd anything really about the new chef.

Ahem, *cough*, *cough*, *cough* you forgot my report about my first meal there and how our party was not very impressed.

Well, I went there again, pretty much kicking and screaming, but it was a friend's birthday and she was going to avoid celebrating it because it depressed her. They still have the bizarre required valet parking (you get out of your car and they park it a few feet away, truly weird; however, maybe they need it to get higher ratings in some book or other). This time we each ordered the tasting menus. My friend ordered the vegetarian tasting menu and I ordered the regular tasting menu. This was back in February so I don't remember what we exactly had. The food, though, was considerably better than what we had a year ago. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the staff has not really changed in behavior. I found service at the Tribute to be truly obnoxious. When I go to a restaurant with others I want to spend the time talking with my companions and not being constantly interupted by the various wait staff, diningroom manager, etc. nor do I want to engage in lengthy conversations about their personal lives. It seriously detracts from the evening.