• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese spaghetti

torakris

I occasionally buy similar products, meat sauces, because my children like them. They are usually sold for 100 yen per pack, and we (a family of two adults and two children) usually use two packs per meal, so I think they are relatively cheap.

I always wanted to try uni in pasta. I have only eaten uni sushi or sashimi style, and I adore it. Someday I am going to buy a tray of uni and figure things out, pastawise.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

[quote

I don't know where I'm going to get uni (I bet its in the refridgerated section at the grocery store).  Believe it or not the japanese grocery store I go to is incredibly small and really lacking in alot of ingredients.  I also don't know how to prepare it at all so I will leave it up to the fine people at nippn.  I assume that you just eat it as is, but still the japanese pasta sauce is cheaper, more efficient, and MOST importantly lasts a long time.

In the stateside, you can order uni directly from this source. I've ordered their items, and all excellent.

http://www.catalinaop.com/

• 3 months later...
Does anyone have a recipe, in English, for the Japanese style napolitan spaghetti? My father-in-law has told us a couple of time about the spaghetti his grandmother (from Japan) made that sounds very close to the Japanese take on napolitan spaghetti. I was thinking that it would be fun to make him some.

I don't have a recipe for that. Typical ingredients include ham, onions, and green peppers. (You can add corn if your like. :biggrin: ) I make mine with canned tuna (I'm a fan of both fresh and canned tuna), onions, and mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, and carrot cubes).

Fry all ingredients in oil until done.

Boil spaghetti until soft (not al dente! :biggrin: ).

Add the spaghetti and mix well.

Then, finally, add as much ketchup as you want. (I tend to add a lot of it.)

This results in a dish like this:

http://www.eatsmart.jp/do/search/detail/Se...e/9002010000006

Enjoy!

I made Napolitan last Sunday. I just had to because the popular TV drama, Kuitan 2, ended the previous day. :sad::sad::sad:

Ending theme song of Kuitan: Itoshi no Napolitan

You'll love it!

Napolitan (4 servings)

400 g spaghetti

1/2 onion

3 green peppers ("peeman" in Japanese)

1/3 carrot

1 pack vienna sausage

1 tube (500 g) ketchup (the more the better :biggrin: )

When making Napolitan and any other Japanese spaghetti dish, you can forget al dente.

Does anyone have a recipe, in English, for the Japanese style napolitan spaghetti? My father-in-law has told us a couple of time about the spaghetti his grandmother (from Japan) made that sounds very close to the Japanese take on napolitan spaghetti. I was thinking that it would be fun to make him some.

I don't have a recipe for that. Typical ingredients include ham, onions, and green peppers. (You can add corn if your like. :biggrin: ) I make mine with canned tuna (I'm a fan of both fresh and canned tuna), onions, and mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, and carrot cubes).

Enjoy!

I made Napolitan last Sunday. I just had to because the popular TV drama, Kuitan 2, ended the previous day. :sad::sad::sad:

You'll love it!

Napolitan (4 servings)

400 g spaghetti

1/2 onion

1/3 carrot

1 pack vienna sausage

When making Napolitan and any other Japanese spaghetti dish, you can forget al dente.

I like Kuitan too - very cute. I think the young boy is a sweetheart. I'm almost finished watching Bambino and this series have inspired me to cook even more.

This weekend I took ume pasta to a potluck lunch and people liked it but could not figure out the predominant taste of my pasta. :laugh:

I sauteed minced prosciutto, added the umebishio that I made a week ago, minced and slivered green shiso from my garden, and butter. My husband does not like umeboshi, but he really likes this pasta now. I cooked the pasta less than al dente so that it will survive without getting too soft after 2-3 hours.

BTW, I love the song too. It says even after learning adult tastes like carbonara, arabiatta, etc, the heart still earns napolitan. My mother was the same too. She liked napolitan the Japanese way with ketchup. For some reason when I'm in Japan, it tastes fine to me too :raz:

• 1 month later...

The photos of everyone's mentaiko spaghetti look so delicious. I never tried using mushrooms or sake before and usually only add butter and shiso with a bit of dashi stock.

I tried out an interesting recipe for mentaiko carbonara last night. It's from the LEE Creative Kitchen series.

gallery_54145_4769_141847.jpg

Spaghetti mixed with one egg, one egg yolk, 1/4 cup cream, couple of teaspoons of grated parmesan, and karashi mentaiko. I also added some fresh uni, shiso leaves and nori to the pasta for extra flavour.

Edited by greenspot (log)

The photos of everyone's mentaiko spaghetti look so delicious. I never tried using mushrooms or sake before and usually only add butter and shiso with a bit of dashi stock.

I tried out an interesting recipe for mentaiko carbonara last night. It's from the LEE Creative Kitchen series.

gallery_54145_4769_141847.jpg

Spaghetti mixed with one egg, one egg yolk, 1/4 cup cream, couple of teaspoons of grated parmesan, and karashi mentaiko. I also added some fresh uni, shiso leaves and nori to the pasta for extra flavour.

That looks so good! I love all things noodle. Did mentaiko more or less cover the taste of uni? Or can you actually taste uni too?

• 1 month later...

For lunch a couple days ago I picked a "soup spaghetti", I have had these quite a few times and enjoy them. At one restaurant close to by house this is all they serve. This falls in between a sauced pasta and an actual soup and I am not sure if this is a Japanese creation or they actually serve this in other parts of the world. below is the convenience store version.

Japanese flavor soup spaghetti with umeboshi (pickled plum), chicken, mizuna and wakame seaweed. The soup was a strong garlic flavored chicken broth.

gallery_6134_4148_623091.jpg

After heating it in the microwave

gallery_6134_4148_33729.jpg

It is hard to see the soup but there is about 1/2 cup in there.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

Enjoy!

You'll love it!

Napolitan (4 servings)

400 g spaghetti

1/2 onion

1/3 carrot

1 pack vienna sausage

Here is a better version of the song, Itoshi no Napolitan.

Tonight's supper will be napolitan spaghetti!

• 3 months later...

Now I have the courage to post a photo of my Napolitan!

gallery_16375_5796_51282.jpg

I used about 2/3 of a 500-g ketchup tube.

Other ingrediats:

4 green peppers

1/2 carrot

1/2 onion

1 pack Vienna sausage

1 can button mushrooms

I added about 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbps mirin for kakushi aji (secret ingredients) for the very first time.

Looks fantastic to me, and tastes very very good too, I'll wager. I would run from chicken sashimi, but would run to such a spread! Why be in thrall to some mysterious "canon" or the other? If delicious things go in, mushrooms, peppers, canned sausages, et al. and so does love, how could the results not be excellent?