• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer Whites

Elissa

This evening's dinner was a bottle of Burgans Albarino and some cataloupe. Would that there were some prosciutto on hand, maybe a drop of marscapone ... but in my experience imagination can get you a long way. A divine combine, the melon and wine, if not exactly in Rauschenberg's stricter senses.

Seems to me however as if between a few Albarino, Picpoul de Pinet and good bubbles one ought to be able to brave summer in the city. Have you recommendations on these, or other counts for summer whites, pinks, bubbles or even light reds?

xxx,

lissome

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

My 2 summer whites - Selbach Oster 2001 Riesling Mosel Kabinett (got for about $12) and 1997 Smith Haut Lafite Blanc (my score of the year @ $14/bottle). The first wine should still be available for that price, the second one was sort of a miracle.

beachfan

yum: great suggestions Beachfan. thanks

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Prosecco - fruit and bubbles what more could you want and great with the melon.

Alto Adige whites - pinot bianco and pinot grigio with a fresh alpine coolness. Elena Walch, Hofstatter and Peter Zemmer have some fresh, inexpensive wines for summer.

Friuli whites - tocai friulano and ribolla gialla from producers like la Viarte, Roncus, Castello di Spessa and Ca Ronesca.

Have you recommendations on these, or other counts for summer whites, pinks, bubbles or even light reds? 

I recently had a 2001 Bruno Giacosa, Arneis, that has me interested. I believe it sells for under $20 and there are a number of other producers that make an Arneis for a little less money. A very tasty wine.

As was the Soave from a producer named Periopan (sp?). They have a standard version, a slightly more expensive blend and a much more expensive but well worth the money, late harvest version (they all have proprietary names but I forget them). None are sweet; all are delicious.

Also the latest vintage of Belle Pente, Riesling (2001) from Oregon at about $12. The best domestic Riesling I have had and competitive with QbA's from many fine producers in Germany.

Lastly, a good cheap bubbly is the NV Gruet, Blanc de Noir - made in New Mexico but made by folks from Champagne in the method of Champagne. Full of flavor and quite correct.

These will be my summer sippers.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Have you recommendations on these, or other counts for summer whites, pinks, bubbles or even light reds? 

As was the Soave from a producer named Periopan (sp?). They have a standard version, a slightly more expensive blend and a much more expensive but well worth the money, late harvest version (they all have proprietary names but I forget them). None are sweet; all are delicious.

Best, Jim

Great suggestion. The Pieropan Soave La Rocca was my wine of the summer a couple of years ago. A case and a half went by very smoothly. I'm not aware of the "much more expensive one" this was a slighlty more ($17 vs. $12).

For those of you who've only had the industrial Soave, Pieropan will be a real eye-opener.

beachfan

I love chilled Moscato D'Asti as a summer wine. I'm also very much a fan of sweeter German Rieslings. And of course, being that I'm in Ontario, I enthusiastically support our VQA wineries' ice wines.

Alto Adige whites - pinot bianco and pinot grigio with a fresh alpine coolness. Elena Walch, Hofstatter and Peter Zemmer have some fresh, inexpensive wines for summer.

The Benefizium Porer pinot grigio from Alois Lageder is very reliable, year in year out. The current vintage is the 2001(I haven't tried it yet, but will very soon) and sells for about 28$ canadian(15-20$ US).I've always found it to be very versatile, great with a wide variety of foods as well as on it's own.

The discovery of Albariños had a lot to do with my willingness to travel to Galicia. Burgans has consitently been the least expensive I've found and it's often on sale for $9.99 around New York. In addition to being the least expensive, it's one I enjoy very much.

One thing summer means to me is the chance not only to drink rosés, but to enjoy them. Some wines go with fish, others with goat cheese and still others with red meats. Rosés, as I've said before, go with eating outdoors on a sunny day. I don't like to pay too much attention to most of them, but I enjoy them and I enjoy my food more for them. Vin Gris de Cigare from California and a Rosado from Julian Chivite in Navarra, have been periennial favorites and I'm sure I've recommended them before.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Just polishing off a Basque white in spite of the dreary grey day: Getariako Txakolina's Txomin Ttxaniz, which at well under $20 was really good. What sort of grape do you suppose that was? Yum

-Beaumarchais

Just polishing off a Basque white in spite of the dreary grey day: Getariako Txakolina's Txomin Ttxaniz, which at well under $20 was really good. What sort of grape do you suppose that was? Yum

A little research leads me to believe the grapes were probably Hondarrabi Zuri, a white grape, or Hondarrabi Beltza, a red (more info)

Was the wine a little fizzy? Did you pour it from a height of 7 feet into your glass?

Try saying Getariako Txakolina's Txomin Ttxaniz five times fast.

My favorite summer white is Vinho Verde

yes just found that article too, thanks. picked mine up at chambers street. however, found within nary a bubble to report.

do you enjoy vinho verdes more than albarinos? aren't they the same grape? i have found with relative consistency that the spanish are better crafted, but would very much like to be proven wrong. :smile:

Edited by Bux (log)

-Beaumarchais

What sort of grape do you suppose that was?

Hi Lissome!

Here's your answer Basque Wine Info

Apparently it's a mix of both white and a a small amount of red grapes. Sounds very interesting...

My summer faves always include Albarino, Soave, Prosecco, Moscato, Viognier and Pinot Blanc. And of course any excuse to drink Champagne will do :biggrin: I agree on the suggestion of the Gruet. It's the house sparkler at one of my favorite restaurants and it is absolutely delicious. Who knew they could make sparkling wine in NEW MEXICO?? :blink: I just tasted a really delicious viognier from Domaine Cheze that was absolutely lovely. I think it retails for somewhere around $22.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi Katie!

Any excuse for bubbles is good enough for me too: breakfast, for instance. But really, Jacquart beats Gruet in every competition blindfolded.

Also, while I have had (mais bien sur) magnificent French Viogniers, I must say that the two domestic Viognier I tried were not, to my palate, potable in any sense. That grape does not translate.

xxx

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

I second Pixelchef on the Moscato, by itself or with dessert. For the Arneis lovers, try Giovanni Almondo's Bricco delle Ciliegie. I am also a fan of Gini's Soaves, La Frosca and Contrada Salvarenza Vecchie Vigna. But when Craig Camp is paying, I prefer a crisp Meursault Perrieres from Coche-Dury or perhaps one of the better-quality Montrachets!

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

But when Craig Camp is paying, I prefer a crisp Meursault Perrieres from Coche-Dury or perhaps one of the better-quality Montrachets!

I never heard of that. Paying that is .

Just tasting the 2001 H. Lun Riesling from Alto Adige. Can't imagine a better summer white. Racy and fresh.

for $8.99: Sumarroca Cava Brut Reserve. Cases are in order, many and soon.

-Beaumarchais

Just tasting the 2001 H. Lun Riesling from Alto Adige. Can't imagine a better summer white. Racy and fresh.

have you had the AA 2001 roses? :smile:

-Beaumarchais

One of my favorite summer whites has been Caymus Conundrum, a white blend from California. Today, I saw abottle of wine simply called Conundrum, with no sign of Caymus anywhere on the label. The price also went up.

Anyone know more about this?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

For half the price, Sokol Blosser Evolution Nine is basically the same delightfully confused cuvee. It comes out of oregon I believe. We sell it here in my Chicago Shop for about $16 bucks. But if you like that stuff- make the leap to Riesling- the German stuff. Start with a Kabinett from the Mosel and see what rich apricot fruit and bracing acidity will do for your summer afternoon!

over it

We just got two interesting new whites by the glass on our list, both of which are very tasty. The Falanghina (Sorry - I'm blanking on the producer)reminds me of the weightiness of Chardonnay but more refreshing. The Planeta "La Segreta" is a blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Gavi and a little Viognier. Very refreshing and summery with a little bit of floral nose from the Viognier! Yummy!

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We just got two interesting new whites by the glass on our list, both of which are very tasty.  The Falanghina (Sorry - I'm blanking on the producer)reminds me of the weightiness of Chardonnay but more refreshing.  The Planeta "La Segreta" is a blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Gavi and a little Viognier.  Very refreshing and summery with a little bit of floral nose from the Viognier!  Yummy!

Mastroberardino?

La Segreta is 60% Grecanico, 20% Chardonnay, 10 % Sauvignon Blanc, 10% Viognier