• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buzz food

Kim WB

I tried drunken cooking the other week -- I don't recommend it! Forgot to scale the trout I was trying to pan-fry, spilled soy sauce on the floor, didn't remember how it tasted the next day... In the future I'll stick with the regular:

* spoon of Nutella, spoon of peanut butter

* dip into opened jars of Chinese preserved food (pickled mustard greens with peanuts, fried gluten, pickled cucumbers, etc.)

* leftover rice with furikake and mayonnaise on the side

* ice cream from the container

* big old bowl of nuts

* any leftovers -- fair game (preferably eaten with fingers out of the storage container)

* toast with butter, Marmite & a slice of cheese

* spoon of Nutella, spoon of peanut butter

AH HA! I am not the only "spoon-in-the-jar" person!

(I was beginning to feel inferior what with all of these folks wrapping pickles and frying them.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ruffles potato chips.  Dipped in plenty of Philadelphia cream cheese.

Or, God love me, cold pizza.

I could do with a little cold pizza action right now. 

Waiter?

Cold pizza is great, straight from the refrigerator, at like 8AM.

To be young again.

And she is. Lucky Nero.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Not drunk really, just a mite peckish...

Came home late last nite after a long double digit day, and realized I was starving as the 4 shots of Chinaco I had at the end of shift started rumbling about my empty belly.

Other food stuffs were available, but this is what was handy-

flour tortilla smeared with cream cheese, avocado, whole tin of smoked oysters, handfull of the not too dead mixed greens left too long in the fridge, topped with pico de gallo. Rolled the sucker up like a burrito, and gave it a few extra shots of hot sauce for good measure.

Not bad, but not enough texture/contrast for me tho I liked the smokiness of the oysters with the avocado and salsa. Next time will try with can of sardines which I usually eat whole on toast rubbed

with garlic and chile.

Giant spoonfull of chocolate ice cream and I was off to bed.

Buzzkill - unknowingly tipped over oyster tin, oil dripped over counter on to floor, first thing I smelled/stepped in this morning in kitchen.

Not nice. :raz:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Oh, fried pickles are so. good. and the ranch dressing is necessary.  I have to say I'm not all too sure about deep-frying while drunk, though.

I have frequently been known to go for tortilla chips (even Torengos - they're all the same size so when you're drunk you can make nice patterns with them on the plate) with shredded cheese and *gasp* nuke until the cheese melts.  Dump salsa on top and chow.

I have also occasionally taken a piece of baguette, spread Nutella on it, and topped with sliced cheddar cheese.  This should be consumed with orange juice which may or may not have vodka in it.

When I am "drunk" I have a tendency to want to bake cakes.

I'd hate to manipulate a sack of flour drunk.

"Cold pizza for breakfast,

Warm Coke on the side" -- lyric by Christine Lavin. :laugh:

fifi -- never feel inferior here. There is always someone with even more bizarre taste than you. I mean, look at Jinmyo: steak, for gosh sakes! :wink::wink: (BTW: I consume peanut butter from a spoon exclusively. :biggrin: )

i guess it's too mundane to think about, but there's nothing better than at 2 AM, grabbing some day old bread(italian, french, a bagel even), slicing in half, throw some tomatos/tomato sauce on it, some herbs and garlic, and some mozzarella(either the vacuum sealed block, or fresh if you have it), and into the oven it goes. yummmm. or even a grilled cheese :raz:

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

When I am "drunk" I have a tendency to want to bake cakes.

Um, "drunk".

Anyway, that's what Cambro buckets are for - much easier to use than the sacks the flour comes in.

Seriously, though, you are braver than I am. :biggrin:

Jennie

White Castle.

Unless you work there or create them at home... that's cheating. :wink:

OK. I'll try another.

Place Triscuits on a flat pan, cover with matching squares of gruyere, capped with thin pepperoni discs. Place one or two drops of tabasco atop each disc and bake in a 400 degree toaster oven.

An evil pleasure.

Toasted English muffin, warm out of the toaster, slathered with butter and Tate & Lyle's Golden Syrup. After you eat it ,you are required to lick the remaining butter/syrup mess off the plate.

This also works in a thin flour tortilla or crepe if you happen to have one handy.

Grilled cheese sandwiches, cold leftovers nuked to edible temps, peanut butter on whole wheat crackers, can of soup nuked to edible temperature, or if I cheated I picked up chicken tacos at La Lupe on the way home. My very favorite drunk food... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

White Castle.

Oooh...the one at Lake and Nicollet in Minneapolis. If you show up after bar call time, they always give you one less slider than you order. When you go back to complain, they holler "you're drunk and can't count."

My kids think stopping at the White Castle in Hinkley, MN (on the way to the cabin; we're sober at the time) is a way big, big treat. "Oh, dad, sliders. Will we start to have slider farts before we get to the cabin?"

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

cottage cheese and Patak's eggplant chutney

Mrs. Dash on just about anything

cold takeout rice with sesame oil, light soy and a sprinkle of sushi vinegar. maybe a dash of curry powder. maybe caramelize some onions and combine everything.

pickle juice

hoisin sauce, by the spoonful

melted jack cheese on toast with a dollop of honey mustard

slices of tomato dipped in lime salt and EVOO, alternately eaten with any deli meats or cheese

Special K cereal and Edensoy soy milk -- preferably carob

poached eggs and jarred salsa, with leftover brown rice

Cheers,

Soba

Place Triscuits on a flat pan, cover with matching squares of gruyere, capped with thin pepperoni discs.  Place one or two drops of tabasco atop each disc and bake in a 400 degree toaster oven.

An evil pleasure.

Boy, if I tried this with a buzz, the smoke alarm would be howling, I'm afraid!!

Grilled cheese sandwiches
Boy, if I tried this with a buzz, the smoke alarm would be howling, I'm afraid!!

I was afraid, too, when my hard-wired smoke detector was configured in such a way that a triggered alarm would result in an IMMEDIATE dispatch of the fire company (ADT policy here in Phila now changed). One evening, the substance combination was wreaking its usual havoc with the limbic region of my brain (particularly those subregions dealing with memory, smell, hunger, and response to danger). So, ahead I forged with a too-hot skillet (or does the smoking point of butter somehow drop when you least expect it?). Before my gruyere and tomato snack was truly ready, the alarm was howling in the house, and I could already hear the sirens wailing in the distance (our firehouse is 5 blocks away). Now greeting your local firefighters in a red-eyed, unsteady, trying-hard-not-to-slur condition, a pall of burned-bread smoke wafting through the door, "Frankie Teardrop" turned up much too loud, is an unsettling experience, a definite buzz-killer. The boys took it all in stride, though. In response to a query from a curious neighbor, the head guys says, "Nothing to see here, just a burned sandwich." I have since stuck with foods, when in that state, that require no heating whatsoever.

Place Triscuits on a flat pan, cover with matching squares of gruyere, capped with thin pepperoni discs.  Place one or two drops of tabasco atop each disc and bake in a 400 degree toaster oven.

An evil pleasure.

I learned from sad experience with other "buzz foods" to use a timer. That's why a toaster oven works well.

I can not do the adding heat thing when I am drunk, so I generally go for (sometimes right after one another):

1. Any leftover baked goods or chocolate

2. A big glass of chocolate milk (if only slightly drunk or really tired, I end here)

3. A pickle (yes, sometimes right after chocolate milk, that's when I know the next day will be bad)

4. Pecans or other handy nuts

5. Canned corn eaten straight from a can with some random (I try to have them not be random, but I don't believe I succeed) spices thrown on

6. A spoonful of peanut butter with honey dripped on it

7. Anything else that does not look lethal and can be eaten without additional heat added.

• 1 month later...

I would like to amend all previous posts that refrenced crackers,a nd tell you all that Wheat thins Harvest Crisps Garden Vegetable crackers are REALLY good. with semi-hard butter, and that thai garlic chile sauce. bon appetit.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Meh. Easier than wrangling a drunk boyfriend into bed. :wacko:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.