• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buzz food

Kim WB

A nice meal, perhaps a bottle of wine, or two. Not hungry at all. AT ALL. But, a few moments with the Food network, considering the Iron chef options... or even a Rachel Ray episode..or maybe a few good reads on the DINNER thread here at e-gullet...and you decide to mosey over to the fridge...nothing special in mind, perhaps a cornichon or a slice of cappicola. But then, from the depths of the foodie that you are, you decide to CREATE. UNDER THE INFLUENCE. What do you make? (And please, no perfect little combos...we'll know right away that you had a psuedo buzz, not a real one.)

Ok, I'll go first. If you take a Saltine or equally bland salty cracker, dip it into a corner of soft butter..then, a few shakes of Thai garlic pepper sauce...swallow in a few bites....as it hits the alcohol in your stomach, a true biological experiment begins..and, hmmm..tastes great. 2nd choice" Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips, left over from baking...on a vanilla wafer cookie. If no cookie, can be consumed on top of yogurt, with the remanants of the mornings coffee mixed with sugar. Scoops of peanut butter or marshmallow accepted...I do not reccomend Quik strawberry milk mixed with the Ghiradelli chips, no matter how drunk, that shit is gross.

2 spoons.

Dip one into the Jif crunchy peanut butter.

Dip the other into the dulce de leche or fudge ice cream topping.

Lick alternately.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

On more than one occasion, I've been known to wrap a pickle (Strub's) in a few slices of proscuitto (or ham, or whatever sliced deli meat is in front of me) and munch away. It's good. Actually, I'm not even drunk and I'm gonna go do that right now.

Bacon.

Bean and cheese burritos with lots of little thai chilis.

Larp.

Salami sandwich on toast (open face) with lots of Malle mustard.

Leftover steak.

I'm not of the open a container and get a spoon school.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm not of the open a container and get a spoon school.

Then you aren't drunk enough.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I generally go for the sliced deli meats. The 2 AM sandwich is typical for me, or perhaps one or two of those Baby Bel cheeses.

I keep my children's gummi worms in the refrigerator, too. I'm not a big candy eater, but there's something about those gummi worms. I'm constantly replacing those. As a late night snack, they are very appealing.

I tend to go for whatever leftover I have been vitrtuously saving for another meal. The handheld stuffed pork chop at 1:00 am? Life doesn't get much better.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

On more than one occasion, I've been known to wrap a pickle (Strub's) in a few slices of proscuitto (or ham, or whatever sliced deli meat is in front of me) and munch away.  It's good.  Actually, I'm not even drunk and I'm gonna go do that right now.

My hero!

Bread with Frank's hot sauce.

An awful lot of olives.

Toasted baguette or ciabatta. It is okay if it is 3 days old. Slather with water and toast. Viola@ Swirl olive oil on the plate (can be the one you use for cooking). Spoon a generous amount of good Hungarian paprika or Sweet rich Korean pepper. Salt. Dip and rib.

Hmmm... that is my 11 pm snack.

Wow, you guys are actually able to COOK? Not me: I have a tendency to drop things when I'm in that condition, things like knives, jars, etc. I just lose my grip (on lots of things :wacko: ). So I'm for "whatever's in the fridge that's edible RIGHT NOW," like deli meat or cheese or leftovers.

Wow, you guys are actually able to COOK?  Not me: I have a tendency to drop things when I'm in that condition, things like knives, jars, etc.  I just lose my grip (on lots of things  :wacko: ).  So I'm for "whatever's in the fridge that's edible RIGHT NOW," like deli meat or cheese or leftovers.

When I'm in that condition, I have three big glasses of water, a mess of ibuprofen, and go to bed. It seems to be worse with wine than vodka, gin, whiskey, etc.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

i go for the vlasics...make a tempura batter with flour, soda, dill and salt...get the fryer at 340 and fry me some pickles...ranch dressing "infused" with prepared horseradish...  know what i'm sayin'

Are you serious? :blink:

I had no idea that pickles could be fried. Not sure how I feel about it either. :unsure:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If you happen to have some thin sliced roast beef, Claussen dill pickles, and Swiss cheese in the fridge - wrap a thin slice of pickle and a piece of the cheese in the roast beef. There's nothing like a good yang hit to counteract the yin of the alcohol. :smile:

Ruffles potato chips. Dipped in plenty of Philadelphia cream cheese.

Or, God love me, cold pizza.

I could do with a little cold pizza action right now.

Waiter?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Ruffles potato chips.  Dipped in plenty of Philadelphia cream cheese.

Or, God love me, cold pizza.

I could do with a little cold pizza action right now. 

Waiter?

Cold pizza is great, straight from the refrigerator, at like 8AM.

To be young again.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh, fried pickles are so. good. and the ranch dressing is necessary. I have to say I'm not all too sure about deep-frying while drunk, though.

I have frequently been known to go for tortilla chips (even Torengos - they're all the same size so when you're drunk you can make nice patterns with them on the plate) with shredded cheese and *gasp* nuke until the cheese melts. Dump salsa on top and chow.

I have also occasionally taken a piece of baguette, spread Nutella on it, and topped with sliced cheddar cheese. This should be consumed with orange juice which may or may not have vodka in it.

When I am "drunk" I have a tendency to want to bake cakes.

Jennie

Oh, and not so much drunk food, but I have to gloat a little bit: Last night I was sitting in a Jacuzzi, drinking bubbly wine and eating cheese and crackers and chocolate. Woo!

Decadence Supreme. I'll stick with Jason and cold pizza from the fridge first thing in the morning. A more rational decadence if you will. :biggrin: