• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite mustard

Smarmotron

Oh don't be snobs about French's. It is in fact the best for hot dogs. And french fries. Even though I do get my Maille from the tap at the boutique at Madeleine I still like my French's.

Agreed - it's absolutely the best for hot dogs. Anything else overwhelms the relish. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

French's (hey, it has its uses!)

:blink:

Oh?

:blink:

What are they?

:unsure:

hot dogs and hamburgers of course! :biggrin:

and occasionally I get a craving for it on a ham sandwich :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Oh don't be snobs about French's. It is in fact the best for hot dogs. And french fries. Even though I do get my Maille from the tap at the boutique at Madeleine I still like my French's.

My favorite hot mustard is yellow, but it's not French's.

It's called Factory Mustard and is stone ground by Raye's Mustard Mill in Eastport, Maine. Factory mustard is the mustard that Rayes sold to the sardine factories in Northern Maine. Nowadays the packers all use dried mustard, but Raye's is still milling Factory Mustard.

Factory mustard, while yellow, has a good kick. It's a little thinner than regular mustard and just the right consistency for a squeeze bottle. There's a small hot dog shack, Rosie's on the Town Wharf in Eastport that sold me on Raye's factory mustard for dogs.

Mustard on fries. Interesting and a new one for me. Is this regional or a personal quirk? Either way I'm going to give it a try.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I, too, like French's on hot dogs; but only those that aren't all beef. It's great on a grilled Thumann's. For all beef dogs Admiration, or a good spicy brown deli mustard. Katie, I think the Polish mustard you are referring too is Pulaski's. It has horseradish in it. Excellent tasting. Very spicy. I use it on bratwurst or ham.

John the hot dog guy

Mustard on fries.  Interesting and a new one for me.  Is this regional or a personal quirk?  Either way I'm going to give it a try.

Yes, good stuff! I thought it was an odd personal quirk - until I came to Europe and found a culture for whom it's normal and find ketchup the quirk. Here it's mustard or mayo or at McDonald's a very suspicious Pommes Frites Sauce which reminds me of a pale version of Utah's fry sauce.