• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Best Kept Secret in MonCo

MishyPoo

Yeah, my son's first year on the Crew tTeam, so I'

m learning all the hot river spots! Along with terminology like "crab" "skull" and "coxswain". Schuykill is lovely, we dash out between races into Philly and grab a bite...Looking for a good pub/bar with good bar food. Serving dark ales and lagers a plus...not ethnic, and if it has both a good burger and decent salads, that's a plus, too. Thanks, Tom

Ah, Posillipo's! We haven't been there in ages. We used to go quite often years ago, liked the food, and always enjoyed ourselves. In line with what you say here, someone else recently mentioned to me that she had eaten there not long ago, that the food is still quite good, and that they continue to offer their Wednesday Opera Night. So, it's now on my "go to" list.

We went to Posillipo's on Sunday. I was certainly amazed at the very inexpensive, (but not doubt, great), early bird menu. For under $20 you got 4 courses from a set menu (very limited compared to the regular menu which is about the size of the Bible). We did not choose from the early bird menu as we already had in mind the kind of food we wanted and it wasnt offered on the early bird. Not that getting anything from the early bird menu would have been bad. We each had the tortelinni en brodo, with homemade tortellini. The entrees (veal saltamboca & veal milanese) were excellent and very filling. They add stuff to the cappucino, which I have to remember to tell them not to, such as whip cream, cinnamon, and some liqoury tasting thing. I like my cappucino's strong and dark, none of that sweet stuff. Im guessing they are just doctoring up what might be bad coffee. Both times Ive been there, the cappucino's were this way...6 mos apart.

Michelle

Kim

Here are a few casual places either in Cherry or just next door in neighboring towns.

Kaminski's 1424 Brace Road, Cherry Hill 856-428-2555. Famous pub in Cherry Hill serving great bar food and 12 domestic and impoeted brews on tap.

Flying Fish Brewery 1940 Olney Ave. Cherry Hill 856-489-0061. Serving a nice array of home made brews and variety of food.

Champps Bar Just south of the intersection of Rt 70 and Rt 73 in Marlton. A chain but a good one serving an array of brews and some nice pub grub and more.

Tin Alley Grill 584 Rt 38 East, Maple Shade 856-234-3174.

Fun bar and restaurant serving Tex-Mex food.

Red Hot And Blue Rt 70 East Cherry Hill (not far from the Racetrack) Good BBQ and a nice selection of brews to wash it down.

That should get you started. One caveat, have not been to some since my daughter finished up gymnastics. A few families used to swoop down on these places after a meet.

Enjoy

Tom

Tom D

thanks, Tom

kaminskis sounds authentic ad right up our alley..and I'll print out your response for our next trip there. Thank you!!

(Funny, my youngest son did competitive gymnastics for a season...I remember a few Cherry Hill meets...he had to decide between Gymnastics and Theatre..he was running me ragged...and its hard to find any kind of boys gymnastics after age 12...very few places have boys teams. So, theatre it was. Danny Zuko in the New Jersey Reperatory Theatre version of Kid's "Grease". Yes, I'm bragging. Summer lovin.....

Kim

Wife and I know all about running ragged with gymnastics. Our daughter Jessica was pretty good (New Jersey State Champion one year) and Cherry Hill was close, if you can believe that.

Was not unusual to go to Virginia, Boston, Florida etc for a weekend.

Enjoy Kaminski's, I know your not fond of BYO restaurants, that is where we usually go down in that area.

Let me know if you ever need any nice BYO recommendations.

Tom

Tom D

I know your not fond of BYO restaurants, that is where we usually go down in that area.

Let me know if you ever need any nice BYO recommendations.

Tom

I've gone to Fuji in that area, for sushi. (BYO) Good Fish, but not worth the haul..Asejhi in Princeton is equal.

I want to shout from the rooftops how wonderful I think Spargo's Grille on Route 33 in Manalapan, NJ is!!!!  Chef Tim Murphy is one of the best in NJ (in my opinion).  Ive been to quite a few 4 & 5 star restaurants around the US & in Europe, and although they are different, Chef Tim's food ranks right up there with me!  He is creative and never boring.  His nightly specials are just fantastic.  Hostess Erin keeps everybody happy and smiling with her wit, beauty and great people skills.  The serving staff also is top notch.  I love this place and the food is fantastic. 

Getting back to the restaurant that started this thread…. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we had been to Spargo’s a couple of times after it first opened, but found the food inconsistent and had not been back until last evening. After reading Michelle’s high praise, I felt we should give it another try.

We called at a little past 8 p.m. and reserved for 8:30. (The restaurant is less than a 10-minute drive from our house.) When we arrived, there were only 3 tables occupied, not surprising for that hour on a Tuesday evening in this neighborhood. Most restaurants tend to do landslide business on weekend evenings, Saturdays in particular, and are much emptier weekday nights.

The restaurant looked the same as when we originally dined there. The room is quite large with pleasant, though non-descript, décor. Tables are covered with white linen tablecloths. Wine glasses are decent. (It’s a BYO.) Spacing between tables is relatively close, but not uncomfortably so. Seats are very comfortable.

Four rolls arrived in a napkin-wrapped basket. The rolls were so hot that we had to wait for them to cool down a bit before being able to eat them. Very good rolls, with crisp crust and good flavor. There was a dish of butter. Yes! (I am not a fan of oil for dipping.)

I would call the cuisine here “creative American.” In addition to the printed menu, there were several specials -- 2 apps and 4 mains -- which were described by the hostess with prices. Bravo for that! The dishes as described on the printed menu sounded “interesting,” though I can’t say that any one of them really “called” to me. For an appetizer, I was leaning toward something straightforward, shrimp breaded in panko crumbs, deep-fried, and accompanied by a fresh horseradish relish. However, my husband convinced me to share the “Beggar’s Purses” – sweet Italian sausage, roasted peppers and ricotta cheese in crisped wontons with a sweet and sour raspberry sauce. ($9) It was the sauce that made me hesitate. Raspberries with sausage, peppers and cheese? Well, turns out, it worked very well. We were served two large “purses” – definitely a dish that can be shared -- which had been deep-fried. Though I think they might have been rescued from the deep fryer just a tad sooner, the wontons were crispy, not at all oily, and the filling was very tasty. The oil and raspberry vinegar "sauce" was an excellent counterpoint to the filling. We really liked this dish!

For mains, we both chose specials. My husband opted for the large, thick-cut veal chop in a Barolo sauce over risotto and broccoli rabe. ($29) I went with the rack of lamb, coated in mustard and nuts, accompanied by mashed potatoes. ($25) There was a sauce, but what it was escapes me. When the dishes arrived, both were garnished with some thin, deep-fried, very crisp onion rings – excellent! – and a couple (2) of asparagus. My plate held a small rack of 8 chops, cut into 3 sections, cooked as I requested, medium rare. There was just enough sauce to add a little extra flavor component and, though this rack was not the best I’ve ever had, the meat had good flavor. The huge portion of mashed potatoes was o.k. (More about that in a moment.) I tasted a small piece of my husband’s veal which he ordered “as the chef prefers.” The medium rare meat was tender, and the Barolo sauce was fine. My husband said he liked everything on the plate. But the chop was so large, that he decided to “doggie bag” a piece. We put it together with my leftover potatoes.

We shared a dessert, peanut butter mixed with milk and dark chocolate mousses with peanuts sandwiched in between. ($7) Though I like peanut butter and chocolate, I did not really like this. There was something about the texture that I found unappealing. I think it would have been better made with ice cream.

Now for some quibbles and glitches.

I prefer specials to be printed out with prices and inserted into the menu. But, as I mentioned, prices were recited – a giant plus.

I don’t like music in restaurants. The music played last night was not at all to my taste. At least, it wasn’t too loud.

Too much decorative ground or powdery stuff on plates.

About those mashed potatoes. They are one of my least favorite accompaniments. Sometimes, they are appropriate for a particular dish; for example, they go very well with short ribs. However, I feel that chefs often use them as an easy out instead of trying to be a bit more creative when it comes to accompaniments. They show up in a number of Spargo’s main courses. Shrimp with mashed potatoes?!! And for my lamb, why not a potato gratin? Or some couscous? Or even skip the starch and go with something like ratatouille?

Service took a dramatic turn-for-the-worse after we finished our main courses and the table was cleared. At that point, we were the only patrons left and, for a short while, literally the only people left in the dining room. Period. The hostess had explained the specials, our order was taken by the maitre d’, a busboy brought the bread and filled our water glasses, and the food was brought by a young man who appeared to be a “runner”; therefore, we never really had a “server.” (After the maitre d’ opened our wine and poured the first glass, my husband did the pouring honors from then on.) So, there we were, totally alone, at a table devoid of anything save a mass of breadcrumbs! We could hear voices from behind the screen that separates the welcome station from the rest of the room, but nobody bothered to look into the room to see what was happening. After a few moments, one of the young men appeared – I think he was the “runner” -- and began clearing the table next to ours, changing the linen, etc. Finally, he looked over at us and realized that we were not being attended to. He asked if we wanted some coffee. We said we did not, but would like to look at the dessert menu. He went into the kitchen and came back with two small, sad-looking pieces of paper, which contained the list. Not exactly the proper way to present the dessert menu, in my estimation. Suddenly, out popped the Maitre d’ from behind the screen to take our dessert order. My husband asked him about having the breadcrumbs removed. Off he went, returning with one of the huge steak knives like the ones given us for our main courses, which he used to scrape the crumbs off. I have never before seen a giant steak knife used for this purpose. Since it is not its intended purpose, small wonder that it did not do a very good job. Not exactly a touch of class!

To sum up, I cannot agree with Michelle that Chef Tim ranks with 4-star chefs. That would mean his food would rank alongside such places as Restaurant Nicholas. And Spargo’s food is not even close to being in that league. As for the service being “top notch”…. However, the meal we had last night was good in many respects and had some degree of creativity. So, despite my quibbles and the glitches, Spargo’s does warrant a return visit.

To sum up, I cannot agree with Michelle that Chef Tim ranks with 4-star chefs. That would mean his food would rank alongside such places as Restaurant Nicholas. And Spargo’s food is not even close to being in that league. As for the service being “top notch”…. However, the meal we had last night was good in many respects and had some degree of creativity. So, despite my quibbles and the glitches, Spargo’s does warrant a return visit.

Ah! What a shame! I was also there are Tuesday evening, but earlier. I am surprised about the steak knife having been used for the de-crumbing tool! I must clarify, although I did make a statement comparing Chef Tim to 4 star chefs, I dont think I said he was one. I will stand by that statement though, because Chef Tim has made foie gras for my party of 4 every weekend for over 3 months. Every weekend there is another new FG dish waiting for us, done creatively and tasting fabulous. I havent been to any restaurant save D'Artagnan Bistro in NYC that can pull off such a fete. Tuesday night isnt the best night to dine there, esp since Chef Tim doesnt cook on Tuesday's. He did, however, make my husband and I a FG appetizer for our dinner on Tuesday, and it was awesome! I also have to defend the service, because I have never received lax service at Spargo. I have always found them to be very attentive to our needs way before we even know what are needs are. I am sorry you didnt have the best experience on Tuesday evening. Im even more sorry that you wont try Spargo again. I, on the other hand, will be there every Friday evening at 8pm with my party of 4.

Michelle

Michelle,

I, too, have often had favorite, local places that were my "regular" spots...but never one that I was so committed to that I went there exclusively. Do you dine out every night, and just save Spago's for Friday, or is that your only meal out...just curious...from waht I recall, the menu was not that extensive to stay interested for such an extended period of time.

PS, (and Roz DID say she'd be back. Great, well rounded review, Roz.)

I, too, have often had favorite, local places that were my "regular" spots...but never one that I was so committed to that I went there exclusively. Do you dine out every night, and just save Spago's for Friday, or is that your only meal out...just curious...from waht I recall, the menu was not that extensive to stay interested for such an extended period of time.

PS, (and Roz DID say she'd be back. Great, well rounded review, Roz.)

Yes, Im sorry....Roz did say she would go back to Spargo. I read things fast and sometimes, when I do that, I insert words or mix them all up. I totally apologize for the mistake. So sorry for that mix up Roz, I am glad you will return to Spargo.

I go to Spargo every Friday night with another couple. You are right about the regular menu (which is getting changed very soon) being not so exciting as to warrant exclusivity, but Chef Tim's specials every week are really ecclectic and his fish specials are superb (the fish is always very fresh). And I already mentioned about how he makes Foie Gras for us every week. He keeps it in house special for the 4 of us (who have been nicknamed the Foie Gras Brats). I do not go out to eat every night, mostly on the weekends. I happened to have gone there last Tuesday because I did not feel like cooking. (Long story short: I got 7 big pampered chef boxes from a party I had, and my friend Tanya helped me sort them...we had smoky apple martini's and I didnt feel like cooking. The husband was not happy! lol) I do frequent Spargo's quite a bit as I also go there for lunch at least once a week. Chef Tim also has cooking class/demonstrations the first Tuesday of every month, and next Tuesday's class will be on grilling and marinades. It is a pleasant evening, and the class gets to sample everything that is cooked, with coffee and dessert at the end. Unlike the other restaurants in my local area, which I used to frequent and dont now because their menus have not changed in the 5 years that I have lived here, Spargo's specials keep me coming back (we dont even look at the menus anymore) and the food is always pretty excellent (with very few exceptions). They know I like my cappucino's strong and they are happy to make them that way. I know not everybody is going to have the same experience that I have with them, but on Friday nights, it sure seems that every table is having an excellent time, especially my table.

Michelle

Michelle, Do you have a reverse reservation at Spargo's on Friday nights?

Yes Rosie, we have a stand in reservation for every Friday night at 8pm...for 4. If it needs to be adjusted we call ahead, sometimes a few days before and sometimes a few minutes before. Erin (the hostess) has always been very accomodating to us.

I am also having them cater a private party for me in June.

Michelle

Michelle, Do you  have a reverse reservation at Spargo's on Friday nights?

What's a "Reverse Reservation?" Does that let an establishment know what nights you won't be attending?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have an update on Spargo's?  We will be in this area in a few days and are considering this restaurant.  Some more recent feedback would be appreciated...

Although in my report in this thread I said that, despite my quibbles and the glitches we encountered, I'd be willing to go back to Spargo's, we've never gotten around to doing so. However, since the same chef/owner is still there, I don't think you would be taking a huge risk if you tried it. You can check out what I presume is the current menu on their website. They're offering a coupon for a free coffee, cappuccino, tea or dessert -- good only weekdays. (Click on "Specials.")

Btw, in case you're interested, Citrus is a new restaurant in Freehold Boro. Two eGulleteers posted about it with opposing views: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=53590 I have it on my "go to" list because I want to make up my own mind. They're serving fusion cuisine and are offering a 3-course prix-fixe dinner mid-week for $29. BYO and smoke free. Closed Mondays.

--Citrus is also closed Sundays...

Menton, Not according to the ads they've been running in the News Transcript and the postcard I received in the mail last week, which all list dinner on Sundays from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. To be certain, I just called, and they are definitely open on Sundays. They're at 32 West Main St. Tel: 732-294-0202.

Wife and I have not been back for about a year but two good friends have been to Spargo's twice in the past 3 months and both raved about it.

Both couples have been to many restaurants in Monmouth and Mercer counties and Spargo's has become a favorite.

Guess we better get back there soon :biggrin:

Tom

Tom D

We dined at Spargo's last night.  Tim Murphy is still chef/owner and the place is still wonderful.  The menu has recently been updated which was overdue and the specials are always creative and interesting.

What did you have?

I started with butternut squash ravioli in a herb/butter sauce which were very nice. Pina colada chicken salad which has chinese noodles, pineapple chunks, chicken, chopped salad and a tropical kind of dressing is very refreshing and then cheatuabriand (sp?). All were wonderful. My wife had the butternut squash ravioli, a salad special with greens, apples, goat cheese and spiced nuts of some kind and a veal scallopine special with sausage, artichoke hearts and potato in a rich dark broth.

They had a special dessert of Bananas Foster over ice cream in some kind of sweet tortilla shell which was out of this world and was the perfect ending to a great meal.