• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greenwich CT Restaurants

rickster

The best restaurant inn Greenwich is Rebeccas, in the Glenville section of town. Others may say Jean Louis but I think Rebeccas is tops.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Any recommendations for restaurants in the Greenwich area, especially anything relatively new?

How about

Barcelona - Stylish, comfortable and quite sophesticated.

Polpo - The good old 100 year mansion for fine Italian.

Dome - From contemporary Spanish and slight mix of Asian and for a after dinner drink with some music.

Baang - One of the top restaurants in the area, features modern Asian with a hint of French.

Asiana - Simple Chinese / Pan Asian.

Relatively new is Ginger man a New York Style Bar & Restaurant

I have tried them all and was not disappoined.

Fun

Thanks. I have been to Baang several years ago and was not impressed, but have heard good things about the others you mentioned. I have also seen good reivews of a new restaurant called L'escale. Appreantly very expensive in the Rebecca's range. I hope to get there sometime over the summer as well as try some of your recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...
I have also seen good reivews of a new restaurant called L'escale. Appreantly very expensive in the Rebecca's range. I hope to get there sometime over the summer as well as try some of your recommendations.

Has any one been to Lescale? What is the menu like. Was planning to make a weekend reservation if any one is suggesting the restaurant. How is the pricing, per person $ 25 to 30 ??

Fun

Haven't been to L'Escale yet, but based on the reviews and the comparative pricing of other restaurants in the area, I'd expect the pricing to be in the $25-$35 or higher per entree.

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion of Mediterraneo is about the same as yours. I did have a good meal this past weekend in Stamford at a place called Wish, which is near the Palace Theater. It was my first visit and when I got home, I checked the Zagat guide to see what they said about it and it was not listed. This seems odd, since it is a "high end" restaurant and has been around for probably 4-5 years.

Agreed as to the ratings, but I always thought it was fairly complete in listing certain types of restaurants that had been open for a period of time. I actually mentioned it because of a thread on the NJ board about why restaurants do not get listed and was surprised to find a similar case locally.

• 3 weeks later...

Having lived abroad, including stays in Beijing, I can honestly say that Greenwich is home to a great and authentic Chinese restaurant, Hunan Gourmet on Putnam Ave. Having just bought a home in Greenwich I have been very pleased with my several meals I have already had there. Ask for it for Hunan style and spicy and you truly get what you ask for. People have suggested Panang Grill and Asiana Cafe to us which were ok, but for selection, food quality and service, Hunan Gourmet is the place. I make sure to bring my friends there for dinners and mai tais. Another thing, the specials are truly special.

We had a dinner party at our house, on another occassion, for about 40 and the owners of the restaurant were very helpful and professional in helping us choose exactly what we were looking for. I do not think you would get that service anywhere else.

Will give Hunan Gourmet a try, may be tonight !!

Fun :wacko:

Great! Let me know what you think. We tried a lot of places -- Little Kitchen, whatever the take-out place is in New Canaan, Snow Pea and always ended up going back to Hunana Harmony. We liked it because everything seemed spectacularly fresh.

Great! Let me know what you think.

No no no !! I wouldn't return to hunan gourmet even if they paid me to go back. Right from the moment we entered it was pretty negative. Pushy and poor service. Seems like they want to get you out as fast as possible. Food was very ordinary to poor. Atmosphere was dull. Dinners were brought to the table before you could even finish your soup or apps. As we were eating the waiter asked if we needed anything and we said no, the next we know is the check lands on the table with cookies. Terrible way to please a customer. I usually enjoy most places even if they were ordinary but not this one !!

No no no !! I wouldn't return to hunan gourmet even if they paid me to go back. Right from the moment we entered it was pretty negative. Pushy and poor service. Seems like they want to get you out as fast as possible. Food was very ordinary to poor. Atmosphere was dull. Dinners were brought to the table before you could even finish your soup or apps. As we were eating the waiter asked if we needed anything and we said no, the next we know is the check lands on the table with cookies. Terrible way to please a customer. I usually enjoy most places even if they were ordinary but not this one !!

Oh no!

Funcook, I have to apologize. I have never even heard of Hunan Gourmet. Having just recommended Hunan Harmony over on the Best Chinese Food thread, I had Hunan Harmony on my mind. When I read your post, I responded to it as if you were referring to Hunan Harmony.

I need to slow down.

Anyway. If you get to Norwalk, you should try Hunan Harmony.

Are we talking about the same Hunan Gourmet (on Putnam Ave. in Greenwich)? I heard they recently have brought in a new chef from Beijing and some new wait staff as well. I have never felt rushed there at all, in fact, one of the owners brought us a round of plum wine, and it was on the house, which we sipped and took our time with. Hands down, it is the best Chinese restaurant in Fairfield County we have been to and we have been to many.

I recommend you give it another shot, sounds like you had a bad experience. Apparantly there is a reason they have been there for over 20 years while many other Asian restaurants have gone under.

Are we talking about the same Hunan Gourmet (on Putnam Ave. in Greenwich)?  I heard they recently have brought in a new chef from Beijing and some new wait staff as well.

I guess we are talking about the same and correct me if there are two, this one is at 68 Putnam Ave. I hope for better for Hunan Gourmet at least the waiters from Beijing have purchased round trip airfare!! :blink::shock:

Yes it seemed to me it was unadultrated praise for this Chinese and as per Rickster's quote above my suspicion stands strong and it seems there is a high level of suspicion that it's a shill, plant, troll, or whatever.

I honestly felt the food was OK to poor. Spring rolls dripping of oil with tasteless filling, a fillet mignon with onions in brown sauce was tasteless, chewy and muddy flavored. What claimed to be Prawns were actually shrimp.

I think my evening could have been better somewhere else and if the NEW HOMEOWNER was infact at Hunan last night he must have been one among three other tables. I am not here to criticize if someone enjoyed their dinner, I am here to give my opinion, I certainly did not and I shall not return or reccomend.

On the other hand other neighborhood Asian/Chinese restaurants were busy. We ended up at Wish in Stamford for a after dinner drink.

Oh no!

Funcook, I have to apologize. I have never even heard of Hunan Gourmet. Having just recommended Hunan Harmony over on the Best Chinese Food thread, I had Hunan Harmony on my mind. When I read your post, I responded to it as if you were referring to Hunan Harmony.

I need to slow down.

Anyway. If you get to Norwalk, you should try Hunan Harmony.

Claire

Please do not apologize. We will give a full try on Hunan Harmony. Please don't slow down. Next week will be Norwalk if not sooner. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rickster,

Let's see, some of the other restaurants we liked are Taka for Japanese, fresh tuna -- we had 2 good experiences and one bad one. I'm not sure if they will stay in business because it is always very quiet. I was told to stay away from KU and Nuage.

We had a fun time at Abis with a group of people for Hibachi...

Had great Tapas and wine at Barcelona.

I just had a great lunch, lobster salad, at the Homestead Inn and I have frequented the SONO restaurants and think Ocean Drive really stands out for seafood dinners and drinks.

Have you been to Teluride in Stamford -- I am thinking about trying it tonight and have heard good things about it.

Where is Taka? I used to go to Telluride a lot several years ago, after movies in Stamford, but it priced itself out of that category of restaurant and I have preferred to try other places instead. However, I really enjoyed it back then and would recommend it.