• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KrispyKreme No Longer On Mapquest

Holly Moore

Yes, hot donuts now appear only periodically. Morning is a fairly reliable time to show up for hot donuts now at Krispy Kreme. Late at night is another fairly reliable time. Afternoons are tougher. They always light the sign when they have hot donuts, and turn it off when the last one rolls off the belt.

I believe there are three phases of KK donuts: hot off the belt, less than 12 hours old, and stale. I like the in-between phase pretty well, the donuts seem more substantial than the warm puffs of air but they aren't at all chewy or greasy yet. Donuts in the in-between phase can be purchased at the other locations selling KK donuts like gas stations and supermarkets shortly after their arrival in the morning. This applies only to places where they say the donuts are delivered daily, and usually you can select your own rather than having to choose a preboxed dozen.

I grew up a half hour from the original KK. It's in my blood. I just stopped by the one in Alexandria the other day, after buying a 10lb catfish at Slavin. You can take the girl out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the girl.

Last year, my brother, sister in law, and their 2 little boys drove from Wisconsin to my home in Connecticut and were dying to try their first Krispy Kreme doughnuts. In fact, that's all they talked about the whole trip east... "Only 425 more miles to Krispy Kreme, we're almost there!" :smile: "Behave back there or NO Krispy Kremes :sad: ...."

I had to break the news to them that we didn't have a KK in CT, however a quick internet search revealed there were a couple in NYC. So lest we break the little ones' hearts, we drove an hour and a half for the experience. (One SUV and one car full of hungry adults and kids).

When we got to the KK near the Museum of Natural History, the HOT sign wasn't on... I had heard that these doughnuts were best served hot, but then again, almost everything tastes best when it's hot from the oven... There were no other customers in the place so that should have been a tipoff that something was wrong.... But we ventured on undeterred and ordered a dozen glazed and another dozen of one each of the other varieties.

My brother greedily announced that he was going to eat a glazed and then take a small bite of all the other ones, even the ones we were eating.... He put on his complimentary Krispy Kreme paper hat and dove into a sticky glazed... After a couple bites he said, "This tastes like a honey dipped from Dunkin' friggin' Donuts!" He then took a bite of a jelly filled.... and didn't say anything...he just gave me that look....that sad sad look of disappointment... Its too painful to say much more except that one of the two dozen made their way back to CT, fully intact.

The next morning, we went for breakfast at Phillip's Diner in Woodbury, CT (Off I-84). The food was good, but the big treat was the diner's excellent doughnuts! Real, homemade quality, toothsome delights... They weren't hot from the oven and they only came in cinnamon/sugar, plain, jelly and chocolate frosted.... But THEY were what doughnuts should be! Fresh, soft yet firm, flavorful... With the right spices, texture and character that make a doughnut a doughnut and not a pastry. :rolleyes:

When we got back home, my brother wrote 'Phillips' in permanent black marker over the words 'Krispy Kreme' on his paper hat. So, if you find yourself travelling on I-84 Connecticut, near Exit 15 (Southbury), and you have that coffee and doughnut craving, you might enjoy a little jaunt to doughnut heaven, er I mean...Phillips...:wub: