• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KrispyKreme No Longer On Mapquest

Holly Moore

So I was plotting my route from Philadelphia to the new Wegman's in Downingtown. It used to be one could click a button at the bottom of the search and learn of any KrispyKreme donut shops along the way.

To my horror such information is no longer available. Now the choices are Holiday Inn, Borders and Jiffy Lube. While Jiffy Lube brews a decent cup of coffee, there are no donuts - at least none that the staff is willing to share with customers.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What's the deal with Krispy Kreme? I have never had one. Are they many flavors or just one? I know this makes me painfully out of it, but I am curious. Are they really that great?

Yes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What's the deal with Krispy Kreme? I have never had one. Are they many flavors or just one? I know this makes me painfully out of it, but I am curious. Are they really that great?

Craig, I used to think that this obsession with Krispy Kreme was madness, then I had one. Served warm.. I AM HOOKED.. damn those things are good.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Krispy Kreme is based in North Cackalacky, so I'm proud to live here.

Anyhow, they do make many different types of donuts, but the only one that distinguishes itself is the glazed original. It's a puff ball of dough when warm, and as long as you keep the coffee flowing, you can eat a boat load of them. However, they quickly consolidate in your gullet, so be very careful.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Not all KrispyKreme donuts are great. The key to KrispyKreme is their freshness. Most KrispyKremes do a high volume of wholesale. They're frying donuts around the clock, meaning donuts are always fresh, hot out of the fryer. Tradition has it that the counter people take your donuts hot off the conveyor belt.

Nowadays gas stations, Starbucks and such are selling KrispyKremes. These are fine, but not all that special. The Krispy Kremes that merit raves are from the KrispyKreme stores.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Fuggetaboutit! Krispy Kremes are light 'n airy sugar bombs. A feather-light version of a glazed doughnut.

They do melt in your mouth, true--but nearly pure sugar (with enough dough to hold the sugar together) will do that. It is charming to watch the little buggers come down the conveyor belt and drown in glaze, but when the charm wears off, all you have is a doughnut.

Half of the Krispy Kreme mystique derived from the fact that they used to be a regional item, and they caused such a stir as their stores migrated west. But now you can buy them by the boxful at any Jewel or Dominick's (Chicago groceries), and frankly, Krispy Kreme has cashed in its mystique.

Krispy Kreme's stock used to be a favorite of the Motley Fool pundits who fawned over KK's brand image and savory (to many) product. But to me, that's a leading indicator: people chase the stock, the company pushes its wares everywhere to satisfy what they think will be infinite demand, and the company crashes and burns.

Besides, all the cops I know hang out at Dunkin' Donuts. :raz:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Technically, the Krispy Kream is an impressive donut. The glaze is magnificent. I was sent a sample box a month ago (they are opening a Krispy Kream in Montreal next month) and I had to force myself not to finish off the dozen. My picky, French, pastry chef husband polished off the last six in about 15 minutes. Unlike Dunkin Donuts, these donuts are light in texture and the glaze doesn't clump. I loved them and I thought the packaging style was quite brilliant.

The answer is not that easy. Ideally, yes. In actuality, usually not.

Save it up for next time you are in a place with an actual Krispy Kreme Bakery, instead of one of the legion of convenience stores which now sell KK donuts. Its got to be eaten within minutes of coming fresh from the oven, and the difference between eating them so and not is pretty astronomical, in my opinion. Plain glazed only, BTW.

Wait... discussed... ad nasuem, here, and a bit here and here.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I get nostalgic discussing hot KK donuts, 'cause (as Dave Barry says-"I'm not making this up"), the last time I've actually had a piping hot from-the-oven one was about a week and a half before Sept. 11, 2001, in the Krispy Kreme location right at the bottom of the World Trade Center. The crowd used to snake around into the central plaza between the buildings, and I never saw it not busy.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I was a KK virgin until just this afternoon. They're selling them by the box as fund raisers in our locale and since it was for charity I temporarily abandoned my low carb regimen. Lovely, light texture but so sweet they (er, I mean" it") made my toes curl.

By the way, has anyone else read the list of ingredients on the side of the box? Scary. :unsure:

K.

Craig, if you ever come to NC, I'll take you to the second KK in the country.  They ALWAYS have HOT DONUTS NOW!!!!

When they opened in my neighborhood (72nd St., NYC), I went immediately, and got cold donuts. I went again. And again. I just noticed the sign was no longer lit. I wonder if they HAD to turn it off, or if it just blew.

Craig, if you ever come to NC, I'll take you to the second KK in the country.  They ALWAYS have HOT DONUTS NOW!!!!

When they opened in my neighborhood (72nd St., NYC), I went immediately, and got cold donuts. I went again. And again. I just noticed the sign was no longer lit. I wonder if they HAD to turn it off, or if it just blew.

Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode?

The sign is turned off when the donuts aren't hot.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The sign is turned off when the donuts aren't hot.

It this true? Does that mean that getting the hot Krispy Kremes is an on and off thing?