• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roe

tissue

Has anyone had mentaiko with spaghetti? I've never tried. Does anyone know of a recipe?

I make a really easy one with melted butter and mentaiko tossed with the spaghetti. There are probably better recipe out there.

Has anyone had mentaiko with spaghetti? I've never tried. Does anyone know of a recipe?

I don't have a recipe, but post #30 on the thread that petite tete de chou provided a link to might give you some ideas, as he mentioned :biggrin:. Just replace cod roe with mentaiko.

I personally don't like butter in my code roe spaghetti. Some mentaiko spaghetti recipes call for butter and even fresh cream! Others call for kombu cha powder (kelp tea powder); I tried adding some powder several times, but the flavor of store-bought men tsuyu was so strong that I found this unnecessary.

I like mine with butter! :biggrin:

I cream the butter and mentaiko together in a bowl and then add the hot spaghetti, I like to garnish it with slivers of nori.

It is on the menu for Sunday lunch, I will post pictures. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

gallery_6134_549_1105860865.jpg

mentaiko (spicy cod roe) with nagaimo (mountain yam) seasoned only with a bit of mirin.

I made it a couple hours before taking the picture so it turned out quite watery...

• 3 weeks later...

lunch yesterday

gallery_6134_549_15025.jpg

tarako-cheese baguette

the bread is spread with a tarako sauce (it was quite spicy- more like mentaiko) and topped with gouda cheese, you are supposed to heat it up in the toaster oven.

after toasting

gallery_6134_549_21608.jpg

I wasn't very impressed....

lunch yesterday

tarako-cheese baguette

I wasn't very impressed....

We had this in Japan from a bakery. I was totally curious, and the conclusion was similar to yours...my son gave a long "eeeeeewww".

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

• 2 months later...

As a kid, I loved eating Ikura (salmon roe) particularly on hot rice. I remember my grandparents preparing it with miso and possibly some other things that I'm not aware of. I believe the process involved marinating the Ikura in the miso/miso mixture for a relatively long period of time, possibly a few days to a week or so? It was one of those instances where I'd ask if I could eat it everyday (driving my grandmother nuts I'm sure) and it seemed like forever from the time the Ikura arrived at the house to when I could actually slurp it up over hot rice. Anyway, after it was marinated it was strained and rinsed using a cheese cloth and then we'd eat it.

Pretty simple but I never learned how to do it and I'm wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about and could help me out with 1)what it's called and 2)how to make it!

Strained and rinsed *after* marinating. Hmmm. Sounds like your grandmother might have marinated the whole roe rather than separating the eggs out first???

Generally "sujiko" are the not quite ripe eggs which are normally pickled and eaten still in the roe sac. They are lots cheaper than ripe ikura.

Ikura are the fully ripened roe. The link that Hiroyuki gave shows the different steps beautifully, and here is a rough summary. This is also the way that I prepare ikura roe (much cheaper than buying roe ready pickled in soy sauce).

For one double-lobed roe of either ikura or sujiko (a couple of pounds, from memory)...

Dump into a bowl of hand-hot water (hotter than you might expect). This toughens up the membranes and makes it easier to remove the individual eggs. The eggs will get whitish, but don't worry. Remove all the membrane, a fidgety process, and repeat the washing if necessary. Drain and allow to cool. The eggs should turn clear again. Now pack into a plastic container and pour over roughly 200ml each of sake and soy sauce (that's about 5/6 of a US cup). Add about 2 tab of dashi stock if you like. I do like - I think it makes for a much mellower flavor. The roe will immediately turn transparent and develop a glowing color, but hands off!!! Leave in your fridge for at least 24 hours, maybe 2-3 days - the eggs will absorb the marinade and swell. If you want, you can also freeze the marinaded eggs - they will turn cloudy in the freezer, but will be fine when thawed.

Sujiko miso-zuke in Japanese.

I thought this sounded more like sujiko than ikura, and sure enough, there it was!

For one roe of sujiko, 150g (5-6oz) of medium-colored miso, blended with 1.5 tab of mirin (sweet sake) and 1/2 tab of sake. Wrap the whole roe in clean dry gauze, and lay on a bed of half the amount of miso. Spread the rest of the miso on top, and either wrap in plastic wrap or pop into a container and leave it in the fridge for 2 days or so.

I'll look forward to trying this in the winter - my Hokkaido-born husband can never get enough sujiko!

I'll look forward to trying this in the winter - my Hokkaido-born husband can never get enough sujiko!

My Tokyo born husband can't get enough of sujiko either. :raz:

I have never seen this miso version, it looks great. I will give this a try as well.

Sujiko miso-zuke in Japanese.

I thought this sounded more like sujiko than ikura, and sure enough, there it was!

For one roe of sujiko, 150g (5-6oz) of medium-colored miso, blended with 1.5 tab of mirin (sweet sake) and 1/2 tab of sake. Wrap the whole roe in clean dry gauze, and lay on a bed of half the amount of miso. Spread the rest of the miso on top, and either wrap in plastic wrap or pop into a container and leave it in the fridge for 2 days or so.

I think you are correct. Sujiko, now I know what it's called. This has to be it and now that I think about it, I do believe sake was involved! Thank you. I can't wait to try this!

• 4 months later...

For anyone in Japan interested in making your own seasoned ikura or sujiko, now is the time! The stores are now filled with trays of the raw salmon egg sacs. I am thinking of doing some shouyu-zuke (soy sauce seasoned) ikura this week so I can satisfy my craving for ikura-don!! :biggrin:

We can buy the salmon roe from the Native dudes who are selling salmon at the farmer's market here in Portland. We made some ikura with sake and soya using the method helenjp gives above. I was wondering if you are supposed to drain them from the marinade after a certain time? Or do you freeze/fridge them with the extra liquid? I was expecting ours to stay orange, but they look kinda dark brown (from the soya) with half of the globe still having an orange translucency. Is this right? The only time I've had them is in a sushi restaurant in the US, and these look nothing like it. They're very tasty though!

regards,

trillium

We can buy the salmon roe from the Native dudes who are selling salmon at the farmer's market here in Portland.  We made some ikura with sake and soya using the method helenjp gives above.  I was wondering if you are supposed to drain them from the marinade after a certain time?  Or do you freeze/fridge them with the extra liquid?  I was expecting ours to stay orange, but they look kinda dark brown (from the soya) with half of the globe still having an orange translucency.  Is this right?  The only time I've had them is in a sushi restaurant in the US, and these look nothing like it.  They're very tasty though!

regards,

trillium

How long did you keep them in the sauce?

Also remember that there are two main kinds of ikura, shiozuke (made with just salt) and shoyu-zuke (made with a sauce like you made). The shoyu-zuke ones I buy tend to have a darker hue than the almost neon like shiozuke.

I finally picked up some sujiko and made ikura for the first time ever! :biggrin:

I poured hot water over them to remove them from the skins and then rinsed them a couple of tiems to remove all the stubborn parts.

I marinated them with soy, mirin and sake in a 3:1:1 ratio.

I tasted them this morning and the mirin adds jsut a touch of sweetness, I really like these! The webiste I pulled the recipe from said they are best eaten 3 to 5 days after making them so ikura-don is on the menu for Monday. :biggrin:

the nama sujiko

gallery_6134_1003_21100.jpg

the ikura marinating

gallery_6134_1003_30961.jpg

Ikura-don!

gallery_6134_1003_33676.jpg

The recipe I looked at said it was best eaten 3 to 5 days after making, this was day 4. I tasted a spoonful every day and honestly thought it was best on day 1, after just sitting overnight.

It was wonderful though, I topped it with some shiso that is growing wild in the backyard. :biggrin:

Here is how I did it:

Take a sac of fresh sujiko (get the freshest one you can darker colors and red lines in the sac indicate age) and place it into a bowl. Pour enough boiling water over it to cover and then gently prod it a bit with chopsticks to loosen the eggs. When most have loosened swirl the chopsticks in the water going continually in the same direction, the outer sac with become entwined on the chopsticks and you can pull it out.

Place into a colander and rinse gently, pulling off with your fingers any bits of sac that may still be stuck.

Place it into tupperware (or similar product) and add the seasonings, I used:

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon sake

1 tablespoon mirin (hon-mirin)

I wouldn't keep it for much longer for 5 days and you can freeze it, but it does lose a bit of the freshness. I tasted mine everyday and I prefered the taste at day 1 and day 2.

Thanks so much!

Should it be served atop vinegared rice or plain rice?

For a donburi you use just plain rice.

It also goes well as part of a chirashizushi in which case it would be seasoned rice.