• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buttermilk in Desserts

Varmint

I know that there is a buttermilk thread out there somewhere, but I wanted to see if the pastry chefs and bakers have come up with different ways to incorporate buttermilk into their dishes. I noticed that Karen Barker of Durham's Magnolia Grill makes a buttermilk cheesecake, and buttermilk pie is a Southern staple. The tang of good, full-fat buttermilk could be used much more frequently in desserts than what I currently see. Anyone have any great new ideas?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I use buttermilk in my cakes

both white and chocolate, it sets off the filling and buttercream cutting down on the overall sweetness of the finished cake

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I use buttermilk all the time in my baking, but rarely as a featured ingredient. I know Steve Klc is making an ice cream for Jaleo that is not really ice cream, but ice milk. The purpose, if I recall correctly, is to focus on the flavor of the milk. Why not focus on the flavor of the buttermilk. It's luscious and tart -- a good starting point, as far as I'm concerned.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I use buttermilk in my cakes

both white and chocolate, it sets off the filling and buttercream cutting down on the overall sweetness of the finished cake

Bripastryguy, can buttermilk just be subbed for the milk in a cake recipe, or do other parts of the recipe have to be adjusted, like the leavening?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

It will effect the entire product from taste to texture. In some instances I dont think it will be drastic, it is something that will need some experimenting.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Well, one of the classic uses is in pancakes and waffles - essential, in my opinion. And buiscits, of course.

Buttermilk is used alot in baking to add body to batter, to add flavor, and for the acid to both activate the levening power of baking soda and tenderize the gluten in wheat flour. That said, I'm actually not a big fan of using it in chocolate cakes as I believe the extra dairy tends to mute the flavor of the chocolate. You often get a more intense flavor with plain water.

Oh, and one of Claudia Flemming's signature desserts at the Grammercy Tavern was buttermilk panna cotta. I've made it and it was quite good, though you need to be careful with what you pair with it.

Buttermilk is an indispensible item in my refrigerator. I get it in the glass bottles from a small, local dairy.

The buttermilk panna cotta is one I had forgotten about. I've also found variations of "buttermilk soup" that is served with berries. How about a buttermilk creme brulee? Any good uses of whipped buttermilk?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If I see a recipe for a quickbread or cake containing buttermilk, I'm usually more likely to try it than if it just contained regular milk. I find the result to be incredibly moist and flavorful, so I'm a big fan of using it. It will indeed affect the leaveners in a recipe since it is highly acidic, and milk is not. Usually recipes calling for buttermilk use only baking soda (I'm sure there are exceptions), whereas regular milk calls for baking powder. That's the main problem you would run into if substituting. I actually prefer using sour cream though in my cakes, (I find that it adds even more flavor, richness and moistness) but it does have similar results as buttermilk. Either way, I'm a big fan of buttermilk! :biggrin:

-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

Well, one of the classic uses is in pancakes and waffles - essential, in my opinion. And buiscits, of course.

We always have buttermilk around, and those are the only three items we use it for.

Buttermilk sorbet sounded great. With berry season coming up it warrants a search at epicurious.com to see if it's there.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Try this thread: Buttermilk Recipes

Lots of stuff in there to keep you busy. Both desserts and other items.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Try this thread: Buttermilk Recipes

Lots of stuff in there to keep you busy.  Both desserts and other items.

What a list of recipes! Thanks. I think I see some buttermilk biscuits in my future. That and the buttermilk pie filling--though my heart is going into spasms just reading the list of ingredients.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

• 4 years later...

I'm not a lover of buttermilk on it's own (although I'm now training myself to get around that) so I'd never played with it much until I started hitting Ideas in Food on a regular basis. They use it to provide balance to sweet things (like their white chocolate consomme they were kind enough to pop in here and share the recipe for) and it works really well in that role so I keep it around now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.