• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The depachika

torakris

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it worth a mention to anyone travelling through Osaka to try to visit the SOGO department store on Midou-suji (Shinsaibashi Subway Station). The store opened this week and it is a thing of beauty!

The food floor is stunning. At the moment, the vendors are offering samples of just about everything! And you dont need to make a lunch reservation :biggrin:

Since Daimaru is right next to SOGO, I am hoping for some serious price wars to keep the good stuff affordable and in my shopping basket.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

I had read it was re-opening, but didn't know it was opening so soon! I'll have to stop by in a couple of weeks (when an Ashtanga yoga studio is opening at Namba Parks!). I've always prefered Daimaru or Takashimaya, but the Daimaru stores in Osaka are a bit...sad...So maybe Sogo will be my new favourite department store!

oooh rona, shall we meet up for ashtanga, depachika and lunch? you are going to love sogo. i was out for dinner on saturday and i noticed quite a few new restaurants in shinsaibashi including what looks like a fabulous new vietnamese place in ame-mura.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

We might have to hold off on that! I'd be too embarrassed to do yoga with a yoga queen! It's been more than a year since I practised regularly (and more than a year since I've done more than one or two sun salutes in a row!)! However, I'd be more than happy to do depachika and lunch without the ashtanga (at least until I've regained some of my flexibility)!