• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rochester, NY

Aaron T

Max of Eastman Place (Gibbs St)  does lunch

Thanks for this recommendation as well, you're batting 1.000.

Thanks for this recommendation as well, you're batting 1.000. I should have paid closer attention to your directions, though---it took me a while to find it since they list their address as being on Main St. Doh! I made it in the end and had a very nice lunch there. They were pretty deserted, and I gather that is partly due to it being spring break week here, and partly due to their nature as a mostly-dinner kind of place. I had the swordfish special which was pretty good, especially for the price ($15, the most expensive lunch entree on the menu), though the fish was a touch overdone and the beans too al dente. The service was competent and unobtrusive, and they serve quite good coffee. I would recommend this as a nice place to have a quiet lunch.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Max of Eastman Place (Gibbs St)  does lunch

Thanks for this recommendation as well, you're batting 1.000. I should have paid closer attention to your directions, though---it took me a while to find it since they list their address as being on Main St. Doh! I made it in the end and had a very nice lunch there. They were pretty deserted, and I gather that is partly due to it being spring break week here, and partly due to their nature as a mostly-dinner kind of place. I had the swordfish special which was pretty good, especially for the price ($15, the most expensive lunch entree on the menu), though the fish was a touch overdone and the beans too al dente. The service was competent and unobtrusive, and they serve quite good coffee. I would recommend this as a nice place to have a quiet lunch.

Not typical of the kitchen - the fish prep is usually perfect. Glad you enjoyed what some of Rochester has to offer. The better plan would have been Max for dinner and 2Vine for lunch if schedules had coincided.

Buon Apetito!

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Not typical of the kitchen - the fish prep is usually perfect.

This was close, I'm just nitpicking :smile: . The beans were definitely underdone, but the swordfish was probably the best I've ever had, I just thought it would have been a bit more succulent if cooked for 30 seconds less. Thanks again for the recommendations: I'd like to return to Rochester in the summer sometime and have at these places (and more!) again.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Not typical of the kitchen - the fish prep is usually perfect.

This was close, I'm just nitpicking :smile: . The beans were definitely underdone, but the swordfish was probably the best I've ever had, I just thought it would have been a bit more succulent if cooked for 30 seconds less. Thanks again for the recommendations: I'd like to return to Rochester in the summer sometime and have at these places (and more!) again.

Drop me a line in advance. I'd welcome the opportunity to break bread with you.

Gordon is the guru of all things gastronomic in Rochester, as I learned a few years ago when I was in Rochacha on business and met up with him and his lovely wife for dinner. Every medium-sized market should have someone as knowing. (We went to Max's for dinner, and it was just outstanding.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I live in Rochester, and my favorite place in town is 2 Vine. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to do much fine dining these days. Chris, I'll keep my eyes open for good restaurants with a spot at the bar for solo diners.

Unfortunately I've had a string of so-so dining experiences in Rochester lately.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I live in Rochester, and my favorite place in town is 2 Vine. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to do much fine dining these days. Chris, I'll keep my eyes open for good restaurants with a spot at the bar for solo diners.

Thanks---hopefully next time I'm in town I won't be dining alone! My wife was supposed to be getting wined and dined on her job interview in town, but I think I ended up eating far better than she did :smile: . Not entirely unexpected, considering the local expertise available here, but she was a little jealous :unsure: .

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Gordon is the guru of all things gastronomic in Rochester, as I learned a few years ago when I was in Rochacha on business and met up with him and his lovely wife for dinner. Every medium-sized market should have someone as knowing. (We went to Max's for dinner, and it was just outstanding.)

Thanks for the compliment my dear :wub: Still hoping to work in a visit to the Windy City soon to raise a glass with my extended online family.

Unfortunately I've had a string of so-so dining experiences in Rochester lately.

Where?

Where?

I make no claims to knowing the Rochester food scene. As mom of 2 boys and wife of a guy with a limited palate, my dining experiences are mostly confined to burgers at Don's Original in Penfield -- they make a mean patty melt (aka Penfielder) but I don't love the steak fries.

A few recent restaurant experiences...

Mykonos in Pittsford -- my first time there since it moved from Village Gate (so obviously it's been awhile). I could have wept. As you probably know, it's now a diner that happens to serve Greek food. My son and I split a sampler platter of Greek stuff -- gyros, spanokopita and bistekia -- and I think the platter hung out under a warming lamp too long because everything was dry. When we ordered extra pita, it was warm and soft and chewy, unlike the cardboard on our original platter. I still love their dilly tzatziki and the pita (when it's good) but the place was a bummer otherwise. But can you blame them? Everyone around me was ordering burgers, fries, etc.

Tasteology in Pittsford -- Its concept is healthy food, which I think is a worthy one, but the implementation was a bit schizo (you couldn't get a Diet Coke, but you could get pink packets for your coffee ... desserts were somehow exempt from the healthy concept). They have a tv studio/demo area in the back -- I don't get that aspect of the concept at all. Food was decent but not as described in the menu (a spicy shrimp had no heat and roasted cauliflower wasn't roasted). I would like to see them succeed, though. The owner was friendly as we came in and came around to the table, which I appreciated. It is nice to have an option for when you're trying to eat healthy but I think they are going to have to do some tweaking.

Beale Street in Webster -- The first time I went I ordered crab cakes, which I know verges on idiotic in Rochester, but why have them on the menu if they are going to be lousy? They were beyond awful. I wouldn't have gone back but a friend had a coupon :rolleyes:. This time I had pulled pork, which was better but didn't blow me away. The sides were forgettable (literally ... I have no recollection).

JC's Backyard Barbecue in Penfield (I think that's the name) -- Pulled pork again. Not bad but not great either. The side was chipotle potato salad. The texture of the potato salad was great, and it tasted like a good homemade salad, but no chipotle that I could discern.

Nothing too exciting for an epicurean such as yourself...

Where?

I make no claims to knowing the Rochester food scene. As mom of 2 boys and wife of a guy with a limited palate, my dining experiences are mostly confined to burgers at Don's Original in Penfield -- they make a mean patty melt (aka Penfielder) but I don't love the steak fries.

A few recent restaurant experiences...

Mykonos in Pittsford -- my first time there since it moved from Village Gate (so obviously it's been awhile). I could have wept. As you probably know, it's now a diner that happens to serve Greek food. My son and I split a sampler platter of Greek stuff -- gyros, spanokopita and bistekia -- and I think the platter hung out under a warming lamp too long because everything was dry. When we ordered extra pita, it was warm and soft and chewy, unlike the cardboard on our original platter. I still love their dilly tzatziki and the pita (when it's good) but the place was a bummer otherwise. But can you blame them? Everyone around me was ordering burgers, fries, etc.

Tasteology in Pittsford -- Its concept is healthy food, which I think is a worthy one, but the implementation was a bit schizo (you couldn't get a Diet Coke, but you could get pink packets for your coffee ... desserts were somehow exempt from the healthy concept). They have a tv studio/demo area in the back -- I don't get that aspect of the concept at all. Food was decent but not as described in the menu (a spicy shrimp had no heat and roasted cauliflower wasn't roasted). I would like to see them succeed, though. The owner was friendly as we came in and came around to the table, which I appreciated. It is nice to have an option for when you're trying to eat healthy but I think they are going to have to do some tweaking.

Beale Street in Webster -- The first time I went I ordered crab cakes, which I know verges on idiotic in Rochester, but why have them on the menu if they are going to be lousy? They were beyond awful. I wouldn't have gone back but a friend had a coupon :rolleyes:. This time I had pulled pork, which was better but didn't blow me away. The sides were forgettable (literally ... I have no recollection).

JC's Backyard Barbecue in Penfield (I think that's the name) -- Pulled pork again. Not bad but not great either. The side was chipotle potato salad. The texture of the potato salad was great, and it tasted like a good homemade salad, but no chipotle that I could discern.

Nothing too exciting for an epicurean such as yourself...

Mykonos was excellent at the Village gate but lost all focus at it's new location. Beale st had excellent brisket but have found better pork at Dino and better Chicken at Stickly Lips. You win some and you lose some.

I like the Dino in general but haven't been there in ages. I remember both the pork and the ribs being excellent. Good sides, too.

I'll have to try the brisket at Beale Street ... and get to Sticky Lips. Whenever I'm on Culver Road I wind up down the road at Lorraine's because she's a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I go to school in Rochester, and I suppose as a college student, I don't get to try all the aspects of fine dining in Rochester. I've never even heard of Max until I discovered this thread.

I do loooove going to Dino's for some good pulled pork and ribs though. I love their mac salad, wings and cajun corn.

A list of places I usually go to in Rochester? They might not be amazing, but I think they're all pretty decent (and affordable!)

Dino's BBQ

Jay's Diner (on W. Henrietta) - I love their wings and the fact they're open 24/7.

Chopsticks (on White Spruce Blvd)

Delmonico's Steakhouse

SEA restaurant (Southeast Asian restaurant. It's on Monroe. They serve pretty good pho)

King & I

Cantonese House (on S. Winton road)

Bocaccini's (in Perinton Plaza. Good Italian food. Service is very good.)

Bazil's (in the same area as Chopsticks & Delmonico's)

Buffalo Wild Wings (Every Tuesday, wings are 35 cents each!! Great for wing lovers. They have a wide variety of sauces, ranging from very mild to extremely spicy. My friend told me she couldn't even eat the spiciest one they have cuz it burned in her mouth really bad.)

Steve Tahoe's (on Lyell. It used to be called Nick Tahoe's, but they changed the name. They also remodeled and it looks a lot cleaner and brighter than before.)

There are a couple of other restaurants that I can't remember right now, but when I do, I'll be sure to put them up! :)

And also, has anyone in the Rochester area ever been to Consesus Inn? :laugh:

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. - George Bernard Shaw

star shaped cookies - my blog

I go to school in Rochester, and I suppose as a college student, I don't get to try all the aspects of fine dining in Rochester. I've never even heard of Max until I discovered this thread.

I do loooove going to Dino's for some good pulled pork and ribs though. I love their mac salad, wings and cajun corn.

A list of places I usually go to in Rochester? They might not be amazing, but I think they're all pretty decent (and affordable!)

Dino's BBQ

Jay's Diner (on W. Henrietta) - I love their wings and the fact they're open 24/7.

Chopsticks (on White Spruce Blvd)

Delmonico's Steakhouse

SEA restaurant (Southeast Asian restaurant. It's on Monroe. They serve pretty good pho)

King & I

Cantonese House (on S. Winton road)

Bocaccini's (in Perinton Plaza. Good Italian food. Service is very good.)

Bazil's (in the same area as Chopsticks & Delmonico's)

Buffalo Wild Wings (Every Tuesday, wings are 35 cents each!! Great for wing lovers. They have a wide variety of sauces, ranging from very mild to extremely spicy. My friend told me she couldn't even eat the spiciest one they have cuz it burned in her mouth really bad.)

Steve Tahoe's (on Lyell. It used to be called Nick Tahoe's, but they changed the name. They also remodeled and it looks a lot cleaner and brighter than before.)

There are a couple of other restaurants that I can't remember right now, but when I do, I'll be sure to put them up! :)

And also, has anyone in the Rochester area ever been to Consesus Inn?  :laugh:

CrustyBread,

I'm glad to know Jay's Diner is open 24 hours. I'm in a band and every so often we're looking for a good late-night nosh. Would love to know any other late-night or all-night spots you recommend.

As for Conesus Inn, that was our go-to place for celebrations for many years. Dinner plate-size prime rib -- but more important than the size, the flavor of the aged prime rib would make you swoon. Unfortunately, our most recent experience was not as good -- the flavor and tenderness of the prime rib just wasn't as good as we had had in the past. Our suspicion was that they weren't aging the prime rib as they had in the past, because the info about aging of the prime rib was out of the menu. Given that it's a long drive and pricey (at least by the area's standards), we haven't gone back in a couple of years. If anyone has had a good experience in recent years, would love to know about it, because I hope it was just a bad night -- we'd love to go back if the quality was back up to snuff. I posted a full review of that visit on my blog (it was one of my first posts) but I've gotten away from restaurant reviews -- I'm not comfortable doing a review based on one visit, and also I can't deal with the geekiness of taking a camera to a restaurant.

• 1 month later...

I was visiting my hometown of Rochester for a few days last week, and I ate very well!

My first stop was for lunch at Open Face Sandwich Eatery on South Avenue. I’ve been keeping an eye on their website for months, wishing I could pop in and get one of their unusual sounding sandwiches. So it makes sense that 5 minutes after pulling into the driveway in Rochester and unloading my bags, I was headed out again to get some lunch!

I ordered the Sandwich Tasting – which is 2 sandwich halves. I chose the Corn Mash (roasted corn seasoned, mashed, and mixed with red bell pepper, served hot and open with melted cheddar, apricot bbq glaze and french fried onions) and the Soft Brie (brie spread with a sweet apricot preserve, topped with sliced pear, on baguette). Both sandwiches were a successful melding of flavors (although I would have preferred the brie melted). The sandwiches came with a side of ginger carrots, with a potent spicy kick. Open Face has put a lot of care into the details in the design of their restaurant (it is a small place - just a few indoor and outdoor tables); for instance, the ice tea came in tin mugs and a small ginger candy is wrapped up with the silverware. It is a pleasant and interesting atmosphere.

The next day we went to the Wegman’s restaurant, Tastings, for lunch. Well, first we browsed the Pittsford store, checking out what is new and looking for free samples. At Tastings, the portions are small, and it is definitely pricey, but the food was fresh and flavorful. We had one serving of salmon and one of scallops, and a cheese plate for dessert. The bread served with the meal was very good, and we enjoyed the dried fruit / sweet almond mix that accompanied the cheese (3 American soft cheeses). Of course, we knew right where we could go to buy all of these items!

Afterwards, we went to Swan German Sausage and Meat Market on Parsells Avenue. It is a lone German outpost with wood paneled walls and communal tables. I had a fun time hoisting about the 10 lb. rye bread that was for sale. We only had room for the sausage sampler plate ($1.50); 3 varieties of sausage served with spicy mustard. We’d like to return for their schnitzel.

Later in the afternoon I was hungry again, so we went to Goodness Cakes, a tiny new bakery on University Avenue. Their specialty is mini-cupcakes (for 80 cents) and wedding cakes. The frosting decoration is beautifully detailed, even on a tiny cupcake that you can pop into your mouth in one bite! I am picky about frosting, and this was a bit too buttery for my personal taste. But I thought the mini-éclair was quite nice and the cake part of the cupcake was also good!

Saturday morning I went to the Public Market, which is one of my all time favorite places. I started off with a breakfast taco with green salsa from Monterray Mexican Tacos next to Java Joes, and then did my shopping…olives and Midnight Moon cheese (goat cheese with a sweet complex flavor that I love!) from the European cheese shop, yellow bell peppers, Empire apples, ramps, new potatoes, strawberries. I finished off with a vegetable empanada from the Empanada Stop. It was a beautiful spring day, and the market was packed! I’m so happy to see that it is thriving.

I live in a bigger city, but I always enjoy coming back to Rochester for some memorable food!

Edited by Refinnej (log)

I have some very knuckleheaded questions to ask.

I grew up in Rochester, and I ran into someone today who has spent a lot of time there. He was asking me what my favorite burger place was, and I couldn't remember the name of it, even though I can see it in my mind's eye. (It's been a very long time since I lived there). Can anyone help with these names?

- The burger place I loved. If you go toward Irondequoit Bay, past Sea Breeze, you end up on a road that fronts the lake. Marge's, my favorite summer bar, was on the lake side. There were a couple of burger places on the other side of the road. The one I loved wasn't Vic and Irv's, it was the other one.

- The place that sells great root beer that you stop at when you're heading south toward Letchworth Park. If I remember correctly, you pass through Avon and see the White Horse on your right before you come to this place.

Thanks!

I have some very knuckleheaded questions to ask. 

I grew up in Rochester, and I ran into someone today who has spent a lot of time there.  He was asking me what my favorite burger place was, and I couldn't remember the name of it, even though I can see it in my mind's eye.  (It's been a very long time since I lived there).  Can anyone help with these names?

- The burger place I loved.  If you go toward Irondequoit Bay, past Sea Breeze, you end up on a road that fronts the lake.  Marge's, my favorite summer bar, was on the lake side.  There were a couple of burger places on the other side of the road.  The one I loved wasn't Vic and Irv's, it was the other one. 

- The place that sells great root beer that you stop at when you're heading south toward Letchworth Park.  If I remember correctly, you pass through Avon and see the White Horse on your right before you come to this place. 

Thanks!

Don & Bob's is known as Don's Original currently.

- The burger place I loved.  If you go toward Irondequoit Bay, past Sea Breeze, you end up on a road that fronts the lake.  Marge's, my favorite summer bar, was on the lake side.  There were a couple of burger places on the other side of the road.  The one I loved wasn't Vic and Irv's, it was the other one. 

Don & Bob's - that's it! Guess Bob bit the dust. Are the burgers still good?

Don & Bob's - that's it! Guess Bob bit the dust. Are the burgers still good?

The name change arose out of dis-associating itself from it's franchise location that went under. The burgers, fries, rings, and chocolate almond custards haven't changed one bit. Still using those pressed cardboard french trays with the little wooden forks.

- The place that sells great root beer that you stop at when you're heading south toward Letchworth Park.  If I remember correctly, you pass through Avon and see the White Horse on your right before you come to this place. 

Tom Wahl's is on rts 5&20 in Avon, and they serve their own root beer in frosty mugs, and pretty good burgers. I can't think of other places near Avon famous for root beer.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Tom Wahl's! (I don't remember their burgers, I only remember the root beer - as did this guy who was asking me, because it was a memorable experience for him.)

You've both hit the bulls-eye. Thanks, Gordon and Philadining.

Somehow it's comforting to know that Tom Wahl's still serves root beer in frosted mugs, and that Don & Bob's (oops, Don's Original) still uses the little wooden forks in the fries.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick holiday visit to Rochester resulted in very little eating-out, but there were a few things worth noting.

First is the new-ish Tap and Mallet pub at 381 Gregory St (where the original MacGregor's once was.) They've done a really nice job fixing the place up, and they've got an excellent selection of beers both on draft and in bottles. We were very impressed with the service: we were greeted immediately, and menus drinks and food were brought promptly. More importantly, our waitress was very well-versed in the substantial beer list, making intelligent suggestions for an alternative to a beer that had run out.

I'm not sure whether they're using the term "gastropub" but they do seem to be paying attention to the food, it's more than just a burger and wings afterthought for sure. We kept it petty simple and just got some sandwiches.

Sliders: Bacon Cheeseburger, Black Bean Burger, Jerk Chicken

gallery_23992_2291_192671.jpg

I liked all three, although I think the star of the plate was the assertively spicy Jerk Chicken. I was also amazed that they managed to avoid overcooking the tiny cheeseburger...

gallery_23992_2291_19096.jpg

Cuban

gallery_23992_2291_143119.jpg

I don't know why I didn't reposition this so that you could actually see what was in it, but if you can imagine it, there was a juicy piece of pork loin, topped with ham, swiss and pickles. The ciabatta bread was good.

Fries were OK.

We drank a locally-made McBane's Best Bitter (Rohrbach's) and a Spaten Optimator from Germany, both fresh, at a good temperature, and in appropriate glassware.

Overall, I was pretty impressed, I'll probably head back next time I'm in town.

-

I also had a predictable, but solidly good Greek meal at Olive Tree. The portions might have been a little small for the price, but the quality was high. Their skordalia is crazy good, and the various lamb dishes are always solid.

Also, right now, Chen Garden is serving softshell crabs. They can prepare them several ways, the salt-and-pepper version was pretty rocking.

gallery_23992_2291_11646.jpg

And I enjoyed their version of Zha Jiang Mian, which featured a slightly spicy sauce with chopped pork and mushrooms.

gallery_23992_2291_166516.jpg

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

• 2 months later...

Someone posted on Rocwiki of another place to get Banh Mi in Rochester. It's quite the little essay, so I had to give it a try. Pho Duong Dong on Otis Street already makes a nice one, but it's a little out of the way for me when I get a hankering and they're only open Thursday through Sunday. Now there is another place on 985 S. Clinton Avenue, a stretch of Clinton that is becoming home to several Vietnamese establishments. The store is a Vietnamese video, DVD rental store, but you'll notice that "sub" shop is also in its name and the counter is toward the back of the store. They're made fresh in front of you. They are of the Vietnamese pate, head cheese/mystery meat variety, with pickled carrots, daikon, jalapenos, cilantro, on a freshly split mini baguette roll. A nice sandwich for $3.

gallery_26764_6154_43270.jpg

New place in Rochester - Restaurant Good Luck

Run, don't walk. After attending the friends and family last week - this place has style, pedigree, and is firing on all cylinders. I ate, I drank, and was the merriest I've been in a while. Best thing to happen to the Rochester culinary scene in years.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Thanks for the link, Gordon. Menu looks good. I like the cocktail list too, although I'm not sure if I'm in favor of bourbon in a Sazerac... Can you elaborate on what you ate and drank? Or were you so merry that it's a little hazy?

And thanks for that Bahn Mi pic, Ciao Ling. I was actually heading for that place a few months ago, but got distracted by the Tap and Mallet. Good to know one can get a Bahn Mi a little more often than Pho Duong Dong's hours allow!

philadining.com