• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rochester, NY

Aaron T

What's going on in Roch nowadays?? The only worthwhile place I heard of is Lento.....BUT, there's some joint called ONE (or something) that I guess Jay Cohen owns/operates (of Rio Bamba fame, which I used to work at quite some time ago. I looked at their menu and there's stuff I recognize, must be signatures)....fyi: I'm from Roch, but live in Vegas.

What's going on in Roch nowadays?? The only worthwhile place I heard of is Lento.....BUT, there's some joint called ONE (or something) that I guess Jay Cohen owns/operates (of Rio Bamba fame, which I used to work at quite some time ago. I looked at their menu and there's stuff I recognize, must be signatures)....fyi: I'm from Roch, but live in Vegas.

"ONE" is more of a bar than a restaurant. Was there last thursday and the menu was pretty unambitious for a Rochester restaurant let alone a former Sous Chef for Bouley. Lento rates opinions either very high or very mediocre (from people whose palates mirror mine) Looking forward to giving it a try to decide for myself.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I know the original post was back in 2003 but I have some suggestions in addition to all the others.

Fishers' Station restaurant - homestyle gourmet food

Victor, NY - near Eastview Mall

1-585-742-3280

Victor is a suburb of a suburb of Rochester - from Rochester take 490 south towards Eastview mall.

The restaurant is located in a ranch house and owned/run by a family.

All their food is made there, from scratch (my definition of homemade).

Their pancakes are like crepes. Very thin and one pancake stack has like 9 or 10.

They write their breakfast and lunch menu on a blackboard every day.

You can order extra sides ( but that is not advertised anywhere).

There is a separate menu for breakfast in addition to what is on the blackboard.

Their sliced tomatos in the dead of winter are always red ripe and tasty.

Their CAESAR SALAD has homemade dressing.

Their soup is homemade.

Their rolls on their sandwiches is homemade.

Their friday fish is pan fried.

Their pies are homemade.

Background:

The husband is an awesome chef. The wife waits tables and runs the cash register. Some of their 5 children bus tables. The family used to live in Chicago where the husband was a chef but they decided to raise their children in a more rural area. (These facts are irrelevant to the food quality...)

Hours:

They have interesting business hours.

They are closed Mon and Tues.

They are open for lunch wed and thurs - 11 am - 2 pm?

They are open for breakfast and lunch Fri and sat - 7am -2 pm?

They are open for breakfast on Sun 7am - noon?

Please call to verify their hours because they have some minor changes depending on if it is summer or winter and they close for the month of August.

Another good breakfast place in Victor - Chit Chat Cafe on rt 96 near Victor village - 1-585-742-1780 - very good homemade food, homemade bread for all entrees. They close at like 1 pm.

Fiorvantis - italian restaurant opened up about 2006

Irondequoit, NY (suburb of Rochester)

Located in Sea Breeze area

You can see the lake from inside the restaurant

1-585-544-0910

Call before you go to verify hours and availability. They only do dinners and then on Wed - Sat.

Good bread and chicken soup for starters - anything else is pretty good.

For what it's worth, I liked the original Mamasan's, Dinosaur Barbeque, Rincon in Sodus (1-315-483-4199) to name a few. I used to live in Washington, DC, area for 20 years and I do miss the abundance of wonderful restaurants.

Edited by tanyacakes.com (log)

Tanya, cake lady

Rochester, NY

I'm going to a dinner meeting tomorrow evening at Golden Ponds Restaurant & Party House (500 Long Pond Rd, on the northwest side of the city). We're apparently going to be "served" from the pizza and pasta buffet. Has anyone eaten there? Should I come hungry, or get something for immediate consumption at Wegman's when I stop to pick up supplies beforehand? (And if any of you reading this are technical communicators and plan to be there, PM me please!)

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm going to a dinner meeting tomorrow evening at Golden Ponds Restaurant & Party House (500 Long Pond Rd, on the northwest side of the city). We're apparently going to be "served" from the pizza and pasta buffet. Has anyone eaten there? Should I come hungry, or get something for immediate consumption at Wegman's when I stop to pick up supplies beforehand? (And if any of you reading this are technical communicators and plan to be there, PM me please!)

MelissaH

By all means EAT beforehand. That part of Rochester is pretty mundane food wise but there is good italian to be found. Down the road at the corner of Long Pond and Spencerport Rd is Papa Joe's - a modest place with very good food.

Just a brief update. It appears that Philly Express is no more. I stopped by the Goodwill in the Jefferson Plaza, when I noticed the For Lease sign in the window :(. I was really looking forward to trying their cheesesteak.

Also, has anyone been to Olga's Restaurant. I saw some positive feedback on rocwiki, but was wondering if anyone has had any other experience with them.

An update on my dinner meeting at Golden Ponds: the food was adequate. I've never been a big fan of pre-cooked pasta, but I was able to find enough to eat. The big "highlight" of the evening was the make-your-own-sauce bar: you chose the pasta shape, a sauce, and whatever add-ins you wanted, and they heated it all together in a little frying pan with some oil. They also had some pre-made combinations, including spaghetti with escarole. I asked for a few pine nuts to be toasted, to sprinkle on top. They did this without blinking.

Would I go back? Sure, if it were for another meeting. But if I'm hauling 80 miles over to the west side of Rochester, I'm looking for something I don't get at home. And there's no shortage of Italian restaurants in Oswego.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 1 month later...

I want to purchase a gift certificate to a very nice restaurant in Rochester for a youngish (20's) couple. Any suggestions? I know they like 2 Vine, but is there anything more exciting out there?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I want to purchase a gift certificate to a very nice restaurant in Rochester for a youngish (20's) couple.  Any suggestions?  I know they like 2 Vine, but is there anything more exciting out there?

Are they food/wine lovers or prefer a "scene" place?

Best American BBQ opinions in the Rochester area anyone?

I haven't done BBQ for a while and decided to splurge and clog my arteries but want to target it efficiently. Dinosaur was my favorite, but always thought the original Syracuse location was better. I tried Beale Street once but wasn't blown away, but that was several years back. Ditto Sticky Lips. Further afield, I haven't tried Merchant Street Smokehouse in Brockport or Taste of Texas in Spencerport. Any recent visits to these or others and ranking/votes? And please only meats with a real smoke ring, not sweet liquid smoked sauce covered imitators... Tony Roma's RIP.

Best American BBQ opinions in the Rochester area anyone? 

I haven't done BBQ for a while and decided to splurge and clog my arteries but want to target it efficiently. Dinosaur was my favorite, but always thought the original Syracuse location was better. I tried Beale Street once but wasn't blown away, but that was several years back. Ditto Sticky Lips. Further afield, I haven't tried Merchant Street Smokehouse in Brockport or Taste of Texas in Spencerport. Any recent visits to these or others and ranking/votes? And please only meats with a real smoke ring, not sweet liquid smoked sauce covered imitators... Tony Roma's RIP.

The quality of Dinosaur has slipped in the last few years. Why? Most Rochester diners can't discern good from bad bbq. Personal faves are ribs from Dinosaur, chicken from Sticky Lips and the brisket at Beale st. I temper this opinion with the fact I eat there mostly in summer and 3 or 4 times a year at most.

Ditto on the declining quality of Dinosaur. They've been hit or miss for me. Personally, I prefer Sticky Lips, which has been more consistent, imo. One worth checking out is Bad to the Bone out in Williamson. It's a bit of a drive, but my experience was pretty good. Their sides are pretty solid, which is a big thing to me since sides are often ignored. I've heard some good things about Unkl Moe's BBQ, but my personal experience wasn't favorable.

Edited by Al Abonado (log)

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been to the new Gate House Cafe which is now open at the Village Gate off Goodman? It's not a complex menu, but I'm most interested in the pizza. According to this blurb in the City Newspaper, it appears that they aim to achieve a true pizza napoletana with italian flour and the high heat of a wood-fired oven. I wonder how it will compare to Veneto.

Has anyone been to the new Gate House Cafe which is now open at the Village Gate off Goodman? It's not a complex menu, but I'm most interested in the pizza.  According to this blurb in the City Newspaper, it appears that they aim to achieve a true pizza napoletana with italian flour and the high heat of a wood-fired oven. I wonder how it will compare to Veneto.

Went last wed - BBQ ribs were good but the slaw wasn't that fresh, had a Wagyu burger with excellent bacon, wings were good (nice amount of heat in the sauce) Pizzas were both quite good - nice crust, excellent quality tomatoes in the sauce, correct amount of cheese, etc. Chef is formerly of Brio/Pomodoro - many of the servers are Rochester veterans. No liquor license yet - but no corkage either :biggrin:

Not a Veneto fan since their move - find their pies rather bland and inconsistent although when they are good - they are good.

Has anyone been to the new Gate House Cafe which is now open at the Village Gate off Goodman? It's not a complex menu, but I'm most interested in the pizza.  According to this blurb in the City Newspaper, it appears that they aim to achieve a true pizza napoletana with italian flour and the high heat of a wood-fired oven. I wonder how it will compare to Veneto.

Went last wed - BBQ ribs were good but the slaw wasn't that fresh, had a Wagyu burger with excellent bacon, wings were good (nice amount of heat in the sauce) Pizzas were both quite good - nice crust, excellent quality tomatoes in the sauce, correct amount of cheese, etc. Chef is formerly of Brio/Pomodoro - many of the servers are Rochester veterans. No liquor license yet - but no corkage either :biggrin:

Not a Veneto fan since their move - find their pies rather bland and inconsistent although when they are good - they are good.

Good to hear about the pizza there- will have to give it a try. Too bad about Veneto- I haven't been there in a while. We should think about bringing back voting for pizza in the Rochester environs. One of my favorites for a NY style crust was Brandani's on West Henrietta Road, but that was when Papa Brandani was making the pies, no longer :(

Good to hear about the pizza there- will have to give it a try. Too bad about Veneto- I haven't been there in a while. We should think about bringing back voting for pizza in the Rochester environs. One of my favorites for a NY style crust was Brandani's on West Henrietta Road, but that was when Papa Brandani was making the pies, no longer :(

Once a year, we have a pizza tasting - usually any pizzeria worth it's salt makes our lto try list (15-16 people each responsible for 2 cheese ad pepperoni pies.) The last Brandini pie i had was a thick, chewy crust more Sicilian than Neopolitan in style. Still delicious though.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I'm glad to see this topic popped back up to the top: I am going to be in Rochester on Tuesday, eating alone. Anyplace with particularly good food available at the bar? Doesn't have to be "high class" but if it is I won't complain :smile: .

Sienna has a nice bar, although I'm not sure I've seen people eating at it. I don't see why you couldn't....

Worth a try, the food's good.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I'm glad to see this topic popped back up to the top: I am going to be in Rochester on Tuesday, eating alone. Anyplace with particularly good food available at the bar? Doesn't have to be "high class" but if it is I won't complain :smile: .

I missed this somehow -

Jeff's selection of Sienna is fine as well as Tapas177 just down the street on St Paul.

Max Chophouse on Monroe Ave

TwoVine on Winthrop St

Social on East Ave

Rooney's on Henrietta St

All do a fine job on a tuesday night. I left out Max of Eastman as their bar does Wed-Sat but solo in the dining room would be fine.

What are you looking for specifically? I'll check this topic tomorrow

I missed this somehow -

Jeff's selection of Sienna is fine as well as Tapas177 just down the street on St Paul.

TwoVine on Winthrop St

Social on East Ave

Rooney's on Henrietta St

All do a fine job on a tuesday night. I left out Max of Eastman as their bar does Wed-Sat but solo in the dining room would be fine.

I don't really have any specific requests, just looking for the first places that come to mind for a solo diner. I generally prefer to eat at the bar when I'm eating alone, but it's not a firm requirement, mostly just serves to narrow the option list. I like basically all food, so anything particularly interesting or tasty, at pretty much any price point, is fair game. I'm sure that was very helpful at narrowing the list... :unsure::hmmm:

ETA: Looks like it's going to be Monday for dinner, and Tuesday for breakfast and lunch, if that matters. Are places in Roch closed Mondays?

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I missed this somehow -

TwoVine on Winthrop St

Social on East Ave

Rooney's on Henrietta St

I don't really have any specific requests, just looking for the first places that come to mind for a solo diner. I generally prefer to eat at the bar when I'm eating alone, but it's not a firm requirement, mostly just serves to narrow the option list. I like basically all food, so anything particularly interesting or tasty, at pretty much any price point, is fair game. I'm sure that was very helpful at narrowing the list... :unsure::hmmm:

ETA: Looks like it's going to be Monday for dinner, and Tuesday for breakfast and lunch, if that matters. Are places in Roch closed Mondays?

PM sent

Went for lunch to the Gatehouse Cafe during a period of horizontal sleet rushing through the Village Gate. Atmosphere was nice. The bar will be great once they have a liquor license. Salad was fine, but it's the pizza I came for. I found the pizza to be just OK but nothing special. We went for the classic Margherita. Although right out of the oven, the crust was not crisp at all. I don't think the oven was hot enough. Tomato flavor was good, but there was way too much cheese. Basil was a small throw of chiffonade. I think they have all the right ingredients and equipment, but the staff who man the pizza station need to put it all together. It's early. I'll try again after several weeks.

I ate at 2 Vine (website) last night, at the bar---thanks for the recommendation, it was quite good (and the staff was friendly). The specials list was a bit absurd (there were a dozen items on it) but the food was quite good, especially the Steak Frites. The bar was well-stocked and the bartenders friendly. For a Monday night it was busier than I expected, so I would guess that on a Friday or Saturday the place is really hopping. It's in a cool building (used to be an ambulance repair shop), and the atmosphere was nice, too. Now I need to find someplace for lunch today...

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I ate at 2 Vine (website) last night, at the bar---thanks for the recommendation, it was quite good (and the staff was friendly). The specials list was a bit absurd (there were a dozen items on it) but the food was quite good, especially the Steak Frites. The bar was well-stocked and the bartenders friendly. For a Monday night it was busier than I expected, so I would guess that on a Friday or Saturday the place is really hopping. It's in a cool building (used to be an ambulance repair shop), and the atmosphere was nice, too. Now I need to find someplace for lunch today...

Max of Eastman Place (Gibbs St) does lunch