• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The UK Menu Game (2003)

Oh hell, that means I have to think of one now......

OK

Seared scallops & crispy smoked ham with chicory, orange & landcress, honey & hazelnut dressing

Citrus-baked halibut with croustade of seafood & shellfish velouté, baby leeks & fine beans

Hot marmalade pudding with Drambuie custard

I've excised a couple of words from the recipes, because they were locations that would have made it too easy.

Adam

What has happened to this thread which I have so enjoyed? Is this entire week a bank holiday for all you Brits? Is this restaurant simply too easy to identify? I HAD to locate the recipe for that luscious sounding pudding (two of my dad's favorite things: marmalade and drambuie, not necessarily in that order) so am quite sure I know the answer but don't think it fair that I post it. Anyway, I don't want to win the question as my favorite UK restaurants have already been utilized and so I'd be hard put to list three courses from Pret a Manger!

Keep this thread going -- such fun!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

rats. was hoping you wouldn't notice.

ok: this is really, really sneaky (and it's from the lunch menu) but there are hints there, honest -

omelette arnold bennet

traditional steak and kidney pudding with braised root vegetables, guinness and onion gravy (poached oyster optional)

selection of desserts from the trolley.

(p.s. at £21 for three courses, it's also damn' fine value.)

It ought to be the Savoy, where omelette arnold bennet was invented, but they may have fancified the menu ...

it is the savoy! marcus wareing's new lunch menu (that's why it was sneaky).

the dinner's a whole lot more elaborate ...

m

over to you, jackal.

It ought to be the Savoy, where omelette arnold bennet was invented, but they may have fancified the menu ...

as an aside, times must be hard in the biz. i got a table at the grill for dinner no problem at all, no waiting, straight through to a human being. whereas when gr at claridges opened it was queues and bunfights.