• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The UK Menu Game (2003)

:sad: poor basildog.

An easy one!

crab mayonnaise, new potato dauphine, mango and pepper vinaigrette.

cumin roasted loin of lamb, sweet potato saute, aubergine confit, spiced lamb jus.

plum tarte fin, black pepper and yoghurt, plum sauce, lemon grass ice cream.

A difficult one in response. I can tell you that it is a very new UK restaurant :

Amuse of watermelon and feta soup

Ravioli of Potatoes & Goats Cheese, Watercress Puree, Chives and Baby Leeks

Slowly Cooked Blade of Beef, Horseradish Apple, Buttered Cabbage & Girolle Mushrooms

Creme Brulee of Lavender Honey with Pistachio, Almond, Apricot & Almond Ice Cream

A difficult one in response. I can tell you that it is a very new UK restaurant :

Amuse of watermelon and feta soup

Ravioli of Potatoes & Goats Cheese, Watercress Puree, Chives and Baby Leeks

Slowly Cooked Blade of Beef, Horseradish Apple, Buttered Cabbage & Girolle Mushrooms

Creme Brulee of Lavender Honey with Pistachio, Almond, Apricot & Almond Ice Cream

The Wells, in Hampstead.

But of course. THe clue being the off menu chop steak. One of their little eccentricites, becoming now rather studied. All that said, I still like it very much. A comfortable pair of old shoes. It was one of the first places I went to regularly with my parents from the age of 10 or so onwards, and tomorrow night I'll be going there after the theatre with my wife for my birthday.

Still the best place for a caesar salad in London, and, given the ubiquity of appalling attempts at it, that's no small reccomendation.

back to you LML

Jay