• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Relais Louis XIII and Relais d'Auteuil (& Jamin)

PaulaJK

JAMIN 's decor was understated elegance...with walls, banquettes

and table cloths in shades of rose, cream and spring green. The

china, silver and crystal sparkled.

The greeting was warm and gracious. Service was superb and unobtrusive. Aperitifs were accompanied by warm toasts w. melting

leeks & cheese. We chose the menu degustation which was 80E.

Mis en place--a demitasse cup w. tomato confit or thick gazpacho

on top, covering layers of avocado mousse and lastly, tomato water.

Very good

Cappuccino-style frothy cepe soup w. 2 langoustines encased in a sheer

noodle wrap---heavenly

Tart --thin puff pastry base filled w warm eggplant puree and topped

w. roasted green, yellow & red tomatoes..garnished w fried basil leaf and thin eggplant round...superb

I'm a little vague on the fish course...but think it was a pan sauteed

white fish surrounded by individual spring veggies

Quail--while the breats were a bit dry, the leg was crisp and delicious & both were accompanied by a luxurious dark pan sauce w. sauteed girolles.

Cheese; prime condition--Epoisse, camembert, reblochon and brin

d'amour

A chocolate tart & frais de bois plus warm pistachio & hazelnut madeleines

RELAIS D'AUTEUIL..Chef Patrick Pignol

We had 'discovered' this restaurant 2 years ago and were very excited by it.... for its attention to decor[beautiful, I thought] , service and cuisine. We were enthused when they received a second M* this year and

returned eagerly. My beautiful restaurant has been re-decorated

along sleek, contemporary lines. "Oh, we change it every 3 years!" ...It

seemed more masculine; has madame disappeared from the scene?

The service remained excellent. The sommelier is well informed and enthusiastic but we disliked his recommendation [Maranges] as it had very musky tones.

The cuisine remained very good......but what surprised me was that it seemed to have changed little. I droned on re; Taillevent...but shouldn't

even a good restaurant vary its offerings? All of the dishes are artistically

presented, on plates of varying sizes, shapes & colors.

Aperitifs of 1 champagne and 1 gin =33euros

Menu degustation 98 euros

Mis en place; 3 items, a quail leg, a warm carrot coated w sesame seeds and a slightly warm cherry tomato w basil

--a fabulous cream-emulsified gazpacho w. 'critters' [? moules] at the bottom

--2 large langoustine tails, lightly coated ? in breadcrumbs & lime

--oysters wrapped in spinach. slightly warmed in a frothy sauce w.

garnish of carmelized shallots & peppercorns. We weren't so enthused about this dish but suspect that it was us, not the dish.

-- a superb veal steak, rendered very salty due to the pan sauce

w. very good pureed potatoes and petite oignons.

--an entensive offering of cheeses, all appearing to be in prime

condition

--sl warmed frais de bois w. creme chantilly

--chocolate beignets

The mignardises included a raw hazelnet, half-shelled w. its leaf

still attached

We would recommend both of these restaurtants. Has anyone else dined there recently?

oi

Last year in Jamin's - A combination of the weather,general lethargy of post-semester funk,and major french holiday - made our experience underwhelming in comparision to the buildup.

I think quails universally are not easy eat other than in the open-air grilled shacks around the med. coast, courtsey the influence from the immigrants from the N.African french colonies... IMHO

anil

We went to Relais d'Auteuil about 3 years ago when confusion over reservations at Guy Savoy meant we had to find a quick alternative. We enjoyed it greatly - the food was delicious and the service was warm, plus the head waiter spoke perfect english - probably why it was full of other British people. I would recommend it on the basis of that experience.

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

• 7 months later...

The Relais d'Auteuil is excellent, one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. It is located just across from the Bois de Boulogne, and is quite discreet from the outside, very easy to pass by. The interior is classically modern, with large comfortable seating, and a selection of contemporary art from talented locals. Mr. and Mme Pignol, the chef/owner, and his wife run a tight ship, and the service is perfect. Bruno, the Maitre d' speaks four languages, and is charming. With concern to the cuisine, it is based on impecably fresh produce, and remains creative yet simple. The amandine de foie gras, a almost-based puff-pastry, filled with hot foie gras, and truffle oil, is amazing. Their cellar is quite impressive as well, with more than 60,000 bottles. This establishment is a real gastronomic dark horse, and well worth the visit.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 4 years later...

I ate there once in June 2004. At the time they had a 68e dinner menu that was quite a good value but with very limited choices, maybe 2 per course. The interior has a country house kind of decor very similar to Jacques Cagna right around the corner. I enjoyed this dinner very much. First course was an item called nage of langoustines, second course was a very nicely roasted pigeon, cheese, then a dessert that included a tasty armagnac ice cream. I can't remember the principal component of the dessert but i often recall the ice cream. They had a good selection of well prices wines by the glass. If you stray from the fixed dinner menu the prices explode. Would I return, no question, but have not since there are always lots of new places to try.

Nice place for an authentic Freanch meal - no pretence there. Manuel Martinez is a Meilleur Ouvrier de France recipiant and is well respected by those who work for him. And, after dinner you can burn off those calories walking the same footpaths near the Seine as Louis XIII, Cardinal Richelieu, D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers. :biggrin: