• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teca

I went to Teca ( Brooks Mews), few days ago.. Nice atmosphere, classic design, attentive and professional service.

I had a 3 courses dinner and my companion had a degustazione menu.

My starter was a salmon Carpaccio with soia sauce, nice and fresh. I had a Risotto mantecato, beautiful flavour, but finished with two mouthfuls. My 3rd course of squid ink Gnocchetti with Lobster was full of flavour, again a bit small and with a surcharge of £5 on top of the £32 three course meals.In the end had to order a cheese to feel content. My companion degustazione was made of six small dishes (including two desserts). He was not impressed, especially by a terrine of potatoes which was boiled potatoes cut in a square and lacking of flavour.

We spent about £150 (wine £30 - incl. coffees, and service). Although some of the dishes were really tasteful, I think Teca is suffering from a common restaurant disease these days: under portioning or if you like, little value for money.

I have not been to Teca for about five years, but it does not seem to have changed much. The food was always pretty good but it was horrendously expensive for what was presented.

The portion control in London restaurants is getting pretty out of hand and must be a result of the staggering increases in rents and rates. I can understand the reasons for these price hikes, but the cynicism with which it is presented is equally staggering.

my meal last night at Fino ( see other thread ) is a prime example, but there are so many other culprits ( Cigala - on my last visit, Il Convivio, Passione, MOMO ) and it is becoming an all too rare treat when you get the three simple needs of eating out, Good food, good service, decent prices ( not always cheap but good value for what is served )

S

I've noticed Fish portions getting very small in restaurants recently, expecially cod. I can only presume that he increasing price of good cod is making it too expensive to serve in an average size portion. Even my local Fish and Chip shop is serving increasingly small cod instead of hiking up its prices. :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

The portion control in London restaurants is getting pretty out of hand

my meal last night at Fino ( see other thread ) is a prime example, but there are so many other culprits ( Cigala - on my last visit, Il Convivio, Passione, MOMO ) and it is becoming an all too rare treat when you get the three simple needs of eating out, Good food, good service, decent prices ( not always cheap but good value for what is served )

S

Simon, I was planning to try Fino tonight, but I was a bit put off by your review: not another under portioning restaurant again!

I have arrived in London recently, and out of all the different restaurants I have tried, I can’t recommend Paolo in Percy Street enough (is actually, not too far from Fino). Portion maybe are not huge, but the quality and what you pay for it is definitely what I classify ‘good value for money’. If you happen to try it, let me know what you think.

I agree about Paolo but if you are prepared more then the step up in quality to Zafferano is a big step. One of the dishes I had there last night was ricotta and aubergine ravioli with tomato sauce. I have had the same dish in Paolo which was nice but not in the same league.

I agree about Paolo but if you are prepared more then the step up in quality to Zafferano is a big step. One of the dishes I had there last night was ricotta and aubergine ravioli with tomato sauce. I have had the same dish in Paolo which was nice but not in the same league.

rjs1 Posted on Apr 25 2003, 10:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't beat the assortment of fish ravioli at Paolo, to my mind.

Bloated, I think you went to Paolo’s before they changed the menu, chef, and style (no more granite tables, they have white linen now). I have tried it both before and after the upgrade, and I prefer it now. I went to Paolo’s on Wednesday, and find out that their chef is from Stefano Cavallini’s School (Maurizio Morelli, from the Green Olive) that might explain the difference, and I agree with Rjs 1, it is difficult to beat their fish ravioli…..

In regards with original topic, I agree with the fact that London restaurant should be more generous with the portions or charge less for the little they give. I remember a joke about bars, which can be translated to some of the restaurants’ philosophy in a way

‘What’s the difference between a barman and an Eskimo?’

‘None, they both make their house with ice….’