• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayorga Coffee Roasters

hjshorter

These folks were at my local Costco last week offering samples of their coffees. I had never heard of them, even though their facility is two miles from my house. Has anyone else sampled their coffee?

I was impressed enough by the flavor and freshness to buy three pounds, and may call and arrange a tour of the roasting facility.

Mayorga Coffee Roasters

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I have never met Martin, but I have drank his coffee and smoked his (not his anymore) cigars. Good stuff.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

There was an article on them in the Post some time ago, and like you, I didn't realize they were "around the corner". I stopped by their Rockville facility, bought a couple pounds and got a quick tour. Wasn't much to see actually.....a few roasting machines and many, many sacks of raw beans. But the coffee was good, and quickly became my preferred brand.

They are opening (opened?) a coffee shop and more (art display, live entertainment?) in downtown Silver Spring. That should be a more interesting place to visit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I stopped into the Silver Spring location after dropping my car at the mechanic's this morning. Enjoyed a respectable cup of drip coffee and a blueberry muffin with very large bluebs and a thick sugary topping. The environment is very pleasant, especially if you can snag one of the lounge-type chairs with a low table nearby. They have a full bar and serve all sorts of classic and contemporary coffee-based cocktails (keoke coffee, B-52 coffee, banana split, toasted almond, etc). And they are open late. It's really quite nice in there, and I'm pleased that there's a place to go near home for post-theatre cocktails and snacks or coffee and dessert or whatever.

What the parking likein Silver Spring? I've driven by but never had the chance to stop in. It sounds like a great place to study.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I was carless and on foot so I didn't actually face the parking situation personally. However there are meters on Blair Mill Road where you can probably park most of the time. There were also signs up indicating that they had an arrangement with a nearby parking lot, and to be sure to get your ticket validated so your parking would be free. Try calling the store and asking where the lot is and how long you can stay in it.