• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joachim Splichal Drops Corkage

Craig Camp

But not at the flagship Patina....

Is Patina as good as it used to be?  I haven't been in about 2 years and I enjoyed it when I was there last...

If memory serves, there's a new chef. So it's time for a reevaluation.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

But not at the flagship Patina....

Is Patina as good as it used to be?  I haven't been in about 2 years and I enjoyed it when I was there last...

If memory serves, there's a new chef. So it's time for a reevaluation.

Last 2 times I've been to Patina, I was very disappointed....

Sigh... I missed the before-renovation, cramped Patina with the scrumptious food.

:sad:

Shoot.  That is disappointing to hear that they have declined.  I'm here in LA for the weekend so I guess I won't be going to Patina.  I think I'll splurge for a good sushi meal instead.

Get the omakase at Mori Sushi in West LA.

Try to go to Take Sushi on Sunset Blvd in hollywood. Incredible quality sushi and he does cooked dishes as well. Here is the phone 310-659-6580 good luck and enjoy. Try to sit at the bar in front of Nobu (not Matsuhisa fame). Better than his name sake. :raz:

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Good morning Hollywood. Your questions sound very negative. I hope you make a chance to go to "Take". Firstly the rice is not congealed. It is luke warm, not warm or cold. The wasabi is added by the master and if ask he often has fresh wasabi. It is not typical sushi, very high quality fresh fish. A great deal from Japan, flown in fresh and might I say delicious, unmistakenly delicious. He also on occasion has live Alaskan King Crab, served different ways. Monk fish sperm, sounds questionable but take a deep breath, it tastes great. Lets face it, it is only one step from monk fish roe. He serves live shrimp, live small crabs about the size of a quarter. Live scallops, prepared different ways. The tuna, yellow tail look almost live when you watch him cut it up. Chances are if you can think of something he has the best quality of it and prepares it in a way that will excire you once it is in your mouth. Try to sit at the bar in his section. If it helps tell him George sent you. He will tell you as he did me not to send your friends, just humour him and buy him a beer. If it is your budget, go for dinner and tell him to just keep serving the best he has and expect it to come to either $75.00 or $100.00, plus tax and tip. I have taken a number of my fussy friends and they have been blown away. Enjoy! Enjoy! :raz: Let me know and our other e-gullet readers know what you think. Thanks.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Hollywood if you are available sometime and want to include a friend or two, let me know and I will make the reservation for up to four and join you. You will think youv'e died and gone to heaven.

Ready when you are, C.B.