• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine bars and wine flights

BBhasin

i can figure out what a wine bar might be. But what would be a number 9 wine bar? and what are these wine flights??

A wine flight is a selection of small servings of wines that are related in some way. For example, they might be all the same grape, but different producers, or all the same producer but different years (sometimes called a vertical flight) or different grapes (a horizontal).

Number 9? No idea.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Turns out that "Number 9" is the name of the bar at the Evening Star Cafe in Alexandria. Sadly, I may have to give it a skip, as my Freshman roommate insisted on playing the Beatles' Revolution #9 several times daily. Hollywood's post alone nearly sent me over the edge.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

The number 9 bar IS the upstairs bar at the Evening Star. Although it is pretty cool, I would skip it in general because it is so sporadically open. I have been several times and very rarely is it open and I have not been able to get a good explanation about the hours, so if you want to go, call first. But, if they have an event that takes place there, or you want to rent a room, that would be a pretty good spot.

Turns out that "Number 9" is the name of the bar at the Evening Star Cafe in Alexandria.  Sadly, I may have to give it a skip, as my Freshman roommate insisted on playing the Beatles' Revolution #9 several times daily.  Hollywood's post alone nearly sent me over the edge.

I think a lot of us had that same roommate.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 9 months later...

When we lived in DelRay, Mrs. JPW and I went very occasionally to Evening Star and the wine bar upstairs. Evening Star is quite good moderate to expensive price point restaurant (depending on how you drink $100-$150 for two) with a nice rotation to the menu. Great wine list for a small place due to their wine shop next door. It was great to have in the neighborhood, but now that we live in SS probably not worth a special trip across the water. Taqueria Poblano on the other hand ..... DROOL!!!!

The wine bar was fun when it first opened and we would go there after dinner at home or at Taqueria Poblano for dessert and a drink. The main problem I had with it was that it started getting quite crowded as more and more yuppies moved into Del Ray which has very few quality dining options and NO other bars. It was not a good place when it was crowded. Smallish room with poor HVAC system + lot o' folks = a haze of smoke thick enough to cut with a knife + ear shattering noise levels +poor service.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm a fan of Evening Star-- really dig the quail app, and on some nights they do some pretty tasty soft tacos al carbon.

I usually eat at the bar downstairs, and I really like the space. What kills me though, is the live music they have down there. It takes up 1/2 the bar. Why don't they move it upstairs? :angry:

I've walked in, saw that the band was there, and walked out on a number of occasions.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I've gone to a few wine tastings at No. 9 that were organized by the Daily Planet, the wine store next door. They were only $25 for 6 flights and some yummy appetizers (even if I would have preferred to pay a little more to get an actual appetizer portion and not just one small nibble). My favorite was an Aussie/New Zealand tasting that turned me on to a phenomenal Yalumba shiraz/viogner blend (sorry full name escapes me). They offer discounts on the wines tasted. I've never tried to just drop in though. The Daily Planet also offers a monthly planet pack -- a sampling of six somehow related wines (varietal, region) at a discount. I've stumbled upon some interesting affordable wines that way.

I'm a fan of Evening Star-- really dig the quail app, and on some nights they do some pretty tasty soft tacos al carbon.

I usually eat at the bar downstairs, and I really like the space. What kills me though, is the live music they have down there. It takes up 1/2 the bar. Why don't they move it upstairs? :angry:

I've walked in, saw that the band was there, and walked out on a number of occasions.

With the size of that room, a one man band would take up half the room!! :laugh::laugh:

They do a very good job with wine tastings and special meals through the wine shop. I was always impressed with their selections, which is key in a smaller place. They also stock some good gourmet deli items.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Funny. In my former Thursday night visits there, the band WAS upstairs (and I wished they'd just go away).

I've gone to a few wine tastings at No. 9 that were organized by the Daily Planet, the wine store next door. They were only $25 for 6 flights and some yummy appetizers (even if I would have preferred to pay a little more to get an actual appetizer portion and not just one small nibble). My favorite was an Aussie/New Zealand tasting that turned me on to a phenomenal Yalumba shiraz/viogner blend (sorry full name escapes me). They offer discounts on the wines tasted. I've never tried to just drop in though. The Daily Planet also offers a monthly planet pack -- a sampling of six somehow related wines (varietal, region) at a discount. I've stumbled upon some interesting affordable wines that way.

Daily Planet has a mailing list (old-school, via mail, not e-mail) that publicizes events, specials, etc. Unfortunately, my newsletter invariably arrives too late to enjoy, say, a third of the goings-on. What's up with that??

Uhh...... Jen?

I STILL get the e-mail newsletter.

Their e-mail is dailyplanetwines@aol.com . I got the feb newsletter on the 5th

Joe W