• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japan for FREE

torakris

Think Japan is too expensive, yet would love too visit?

Check out WWOOF (world-wide workers on organic farms):

http://www.wwoofjapan.com/about_e.html

In exchange for a couple of hours of work, you are given free boarding and food, stays can be as short as a few days and as long as a year, no Japanese is needed and msot welcome families!

You can stay on a working farm, in a old temple, in a bungalow in the mountains, at a soba shop, etc,

learn about Japanese foods through first hand experience.

Inside the FAQ's is s sample list of some of the types of places you can stay at, My husband and I are going to be going to these places for our family vacations, I can't think of a better experience for ourselves or the children.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow, this sounds awesome! I've been dying to go back to Japan and doing some work with local foods while I'm there would be a major bonus - even if they didn't house you for free. I will definitely look into this. Thanks torakris! How did you find out about WWOOF and have you had any experiences with them yet?

I'd love to do this too.

I stayed/worked at a WWOOF farm on Vancouver Island several years ago and it was an interesting experience. VERY hard work though, but I've heard the type, amount, and difficulty of the work really depends on the place.

Wonder if I can convince my couch potato husband that this could be fun....

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I heard about it through a friend who has done it and recommends it.

All of the places are different, some seem more like work while others ssem more like fun,educational experiences. Quite a few of them accept families and once my 2 year old hits about 4 or 5 I hope to make regular vacations out of this!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

That sounds pretty sweet. Something to be considered for sure.

I keep picturing the Simpsons episode where bart is a French exchange student. His host family is two guys on a farm that got him to replace their old donkey. He had to sleep on a pile of hay. :laugh:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario