• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crackers

dave88

What brand of crackers do you like to serve your sopressata and cheddar upon? If you don't like crackers, then what alternatives do you use (homemade melba, etc...)? I usually like triscuits, but sometimes to find them too crunchy.

I gave a brief search, but was unsatisfied with the results.

TIA

Triscuts are good. Carr's Herb &Garlic are very nice. Christies makes a terrific sesame cracker that I've only ever found in restaurants. Toasted bread points for heated brie.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Triscuits definitely. The ORIGINALS, none of that low sodium low fat crap. Although I have liked the rye versions from time to time.

I also have a weakness for Ritz.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I used to be hooked on Breton whole wheat crackers. I like Courtney's Organic table water crackers too, they have a more toasty flavor than the Carr's. Carr's whole wheat crackers are thick and sweet, almost biscuity, and go down well with mustard, apple, and cheddar as a canape. Best of all is homemade. Crackers aren't that hard to make, just time-consuming.

Uh oh, this is almost as loaded a question for me as hot sauces. To get the original Q out of the way: soppresata on thin slices of baguette; cheddar alone, on a piece of apple, or on (current stock):

• Akmak
  • Wasa sourdough
  • Finn Crisp dark with caraway
  • Carr's Table Waters
  • Carr's Cheddar
  • Carr's Wholemeal
  • Carr's Sesame and Poppy Seed (although I hate poppy seeds; but HWOE likes them)
  • Nabisco Saltines, Unsalted tops (full fat, though!)
  • Master Choice Garlic and Herb Grissini (from Food Emporium)
  • Manischewitz Onion Tam Tams
  • Manischewitz not kosher-for-Passover Whole Wheat Matzohs

I love Triscuits, but rarely buy them. Also Sunshine White Cheddar, but I think of them more as a snack food than as a cracker. Ritz are okay. ALL MUST BE REGULAR, NOT LOW FAT!!!!!

Clearly, I am NOT a follower of Dr. Atkins. :laugh:

Thanks!

I'm getting the feeling that certain toppings use certain crackers; or vice versa using the cheddar and apple separate from the sopressata and cracker example especially. I prefer the blue cheese/apple combo personally, but cheddar slices would be an excellent sub. for crackers as blue tends to be crumbly. What about a firm, well-aged sharp cheddar/golden delicious/home-smoked beef jerky chunk as an amuse? Would you separate the three into a cheddar/jerky and cheddar/apple combo with twice the servings?

Bah, this was originally about crackers... who needs 'em now?

[*]Wasa sourdough

[*]Finn Crisp dark with caraway

ditto on these two, I was gonna mention them but had forgot what they were called.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Have you ever tried Bath Oliver crackers from England? They are about 3"round, white, puffy and crisp. I've never had a better one.

By the way, to us southerners, "Cracker" is a slight---akin to the "N" word. It can refer to any white southerner, not just those from Georgia. But try not to use it. It's not complimentary to either the user or especially, the person you are referring to.

Ive deviated from crackers the past year or so. I now favor using homemade blini for serving with smoked salmon and caviar etc...I find the soft texture of blini provides an elegant touch in complementing fine foods as opposed to the crunch of a Carrs cracker

I dont normally serve cheese...

Edited by awbrig (log)

Have you ever tried Bath Oliver crackers from England? They are about 3"round, white, puffy and crisp. I've never had a better one.

Oh, yes! Bath Olivers are wonderful. I find they're particularly well-suited to pairing with stronger cheeses; their "blandness," for lack of a better word, is the perfect foil for a blue such as Fourme d'Ambert.

When I can't find Bath Olivers, my substitute of choice is a sort of mini version called Neva-Betta. They have the requisite "blandness and crisp-factor, as well as the puffiness.

Are these like pilot crackers?

Yes, although not as dry as most pilots tend to be. Same goes for the Neva-Betta mini versions I mentioned . . .

They are much better than water crackers, by far. Carr's might as well be communion wafers.

Bath Olivers have the perfect combination of flavor and texture to balance highly flavored toppings without disappearing altogether.

I am going to be viciously rebutted but I quite enjoy no-salt saltines. They add texture and substance to the spread or topping, without really affecting the taste. And they go with absolutely everything, from cheeses to meat fillings to chocolate.

They are much better than water crackers, by far. Carr's might as well be communion wafers.

Bath Olivers have the perfect combination of flavor and texture to balance highly flavored toppings without disappearing altogether.

Bath Olivers have a very high fat content and coat the mouth. Good if you are selling wine, no so good if you are buying it. Also the current versions are somehow thicker and not quite as crisp as the ones before they moved factory. Chocolate coated Bath Olivers are, of course, perverted.

Millers Damsel Wheat Wafers are my favourite.

Others I eat cheese with:

McVities Digestive close second, but not really a cracker

Jacob's High baked

Ryvita Dark Rye

I am going to be viciously rebutted but I quite enjoy no-salt saltines.  They add texture and substance to the spread or topping, without really affecting the taste.  And they go with absolutely everything, from cheeses to meat fillings to chocolate.

Fear me not. I totally agree. They have their own delicate flavor that complements all others, and a sturdy flakiness that supports yet yields. They are the ideal "wife" of the cracker world.

I use Weatsworth crackers when preparing my Piquant Salmon Rolls.  Firm enough to hold up but not overpower the toppings in texture or flavor.

I've had =Mark's Piquant Salmon Rolls and yes, the wheatsworths work really well. They have a very small amount of residual sweetness in them that goes well with spicy toppings.