• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Cakes That Need Resurrecting

maggiethecat

Orange layer cake with orange frosting. I have a recipe and make it sometimes but have never seen it in stores.

WHT: Omigod! I remember this sublime cake...an aunt made it. Could you please please post it in the recipe archive...or just PM it?

Orange frosting. Double Yum!

Time to bring this topic back up front. I don't bake much in the summer. Too busy. As the days shorten and cool, it's time to fire up the oven.

Did this recipe ever appear?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My mother always made a Texas Sheet Cake.  What the hell does Texas have to do with a boring chocolate cake???

OMG...I LOVE Texas Sheet Cake. :wub::wub::wub:

It's called "Texas" because it's so dang big. And you think it's boring? Then you haven't had a "real" Texas Sheet Cake.

Sherri A. Jackson

I just put it on my Amazon wish list.

How did I just find out about this?!!!!! Can other's access the wish list like a registry? Just curious.

(maggiethecat @ Jun 2 2003, 07:57 PM)

Archie: Don't tease. Does the frosting start with: Cream two pounds of lard and six cups of white corn syrup? 

Garnish with bacon rosettes?

This is hilarious!!!!

Mmmm Cracklings

Texas Sheet cake is awesome. My grandmother makes a wonderful lemon sheet cake, the kind you bake, poke holes in and drizzle sweetened lemon juice/glaze over the top. I have a great recipe for carrot cake too, but alas it is also under copyright. Please pm me if you would like me to share.

My favorite thing (not really a cake, but type of pudding) is bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream and warm rum raisins on top.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

I have a great recipe for carrot cake too, but alas it is also under copyright.  Please pm me if you would like me to share. 

Heh. I have images of the recipe police flinging lawsuits at us like the RIAA is doing to all the Kazaa users. :blink:

Sherri A. Jackson

Time to bring this topic back up front.  I don't bake much in the summer.  Too busy.  As the days shorten and cool, it's time to fire up the oven.

Did this recipe ever appear?

I just checked. Nope. I'll try to do some research and find something comparable. I too tend to bake less in the summertime, and although it's still darn warm here in (Very) "Far Eastern Iowa" I'm getting the baking bug again. I made a big batch of puff pastry yesterday -- ah, puff pastry in the freezer! What a sense of security! I also made a batch of lemon shortbreads in my ongoing research into Travelling Cookies for the Pig Pickin'.

While I was perusing the cake portion of the recipe archive I came across souljoy's recipe for Lemon Coriander Tea Cakes, so I guess they're up next! Please enlighten this Northern Person: They seem close to a biscuit/scone kinda thing. Am I close?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Just read this in my paper today about butter-flavored oil -  like the stuff Jaymes remembered, I think!

Health-based buttery taste

Well, I don't know about "health-based," but anyway it's not hydrogenated!

Thought I would Google a search on that butter-flavored oil, "Butterlicious", and Google keeps asking me if I mean "bootylicious"! :biggrin::laugh: An ad campaign waiting to happen!

The two will be forever entwined in my mind now.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You can modernise red velvet cake by adding grated raw red beets to the batter instead of red dye- plus use a really good cocoa (Valrhona or Cocoa Barry are good choices).

Sufferin' succotash, I want to try that! Could you give me an idea of the quantity of beets?

Hmm. Would it be rather like a red Carrot Cake?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Gosh, yes please for the Tomato Soup Cake recipe. If some kind soul would archive it, I would be grateful enough to send them a virtual cake of their choice! :biggrin:

Welcome, chateaubien!. I am making the assumption that you're Canadian, like me, both from your name and your acquaintance with Tomato Soup Cake. I'll try to remember to post a recipe within the next couple of days. If not, nag me.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

<<What about red velvet cake? Would you consider that a retro-cake or something that's just sort of kitschy?>>

Anyone who tries Amy Scherber's version of Red Velvet Cake at Amy's Bread in Manhattan (locations in Hell's Kitchen, Upper East Side at 71/Lex, etc.) is bound to join us as immediate fans! (Her Devil's Food Cake is also not-to-be-missed, and served as each of our birthday cakes for our last birthdays!)

Karen & Andrew

www.newamericanchef.com

Gosh, yes please for the Tomato Soup Cake recipe. If some kind soul would archive it,

Check out the eG recipe archive; I finally got it done.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Did anyone ever make the pork cake? I am really curious. (And I really really really didn't bring this back up to bug elyse.) :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I was just flipping though some of my cookbooks and found one I had completely forgotten about. Best Recipes from the backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars by Ceil Dyer.

It has TONS of classic cake recipes! Even a chocolate mayonaise cake. :shock: If anyone's interested, I can post an index of the recipes and then privately send you any specific recipes you may want. Or you can buy it from Amazon and eGullet will get a little kickback.

• Thanks 1
Sherri A. Jackson

My mom used to make the Tomato Soup cake a lot when we were kids. It tasted a lot like a spice cake. If you've never made it, you should try it at least once.

I have a dear friend who makes everything from scratch, especially pies and cakes. She inherited her recipes from her grandmother who raised her. She has made chocolate mayo cakes on many ocassions and they were quite moist. Mayo is oil and eggs, afterall, so why shouldn't they be good cakes? Just don't use Miracle Whip by mistake! Oy! :shock:

As for the oft-requested in this thread "orange layer cake", the only one I've ever had was the one from the Cake Mix Doctor recipe book. It was a bundt cake, actually, with an orange glaze and it was wonderfully moist and "orange-y".

The orange layer cake does sound good, though.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My mom used to make the Tomato Soup cake a lot when we were kids.  It tasted a lot like a spice cake.  If you've never made it, you should try it at least once.

I have a dear friend who makes everything from scratch, especially pies and cakes.  She inherited her recipes from her grandmother who raised her.  She has made chocolate mayo cakes on many ocassions and they were quite moist.  Mayo is oil and eggs, afterall, so why shouldn't they be good cakes?  Just don't use Miracle Whip by mistake!  Oy! :shock:

As for the oft-requested in this thread "orange layer cake", the only one I've ever had was the one from the Cake Mix Doctor recipe book.  It was a bundt cake, actually, with an orange glaze and it was wonderfully moist and "orange-y". 

The orange layer cake does sound good, though.

My brain understands why mayo would make a good cake, but it's hard for my mouth not to think "mayo flavored cake".

As for the orange layer cake, I haven't read through all of the posts here...shhhh (so maybe no one needs a recipe), but I have several recipes from my grandmother and I'd be more than happy to post them if anyone would like.

Sherri A. Jackson

Sherri, you have to try the Chocolate Mayonaise Cake, it really is good. One of those things. You like sour cream in cookies/recipies right? Kind of the same thing. It mainly keeps it super moist.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

Sherri, you have to try the Chocolate Mayonaise Cake, it really is good.  One of those things.  You like sour cream in cookies/recipies right?  Kind of the same thing.  It mainly keeps it super moist.

I'll give it a whirl. I'm interested in trying tht tomato cake as well. And the Coke cake!

So many cakes, so little time. :rolleyes:

Sherri A. Jackson

Happy Birthday, Diana-- Great Cooking Maiden of the Heartland. Great choice of cake.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com