• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Cakes That Need Resurrecting

maggiethecat

The June Martha Stewart Living mag (so sue me, I read Martha :raz: ) has a beautiful looking Hummingbird Cake recipe. The cake has banana, coconut, walnuts and pineapple in it, and it is decorated with thin slices of dried pineapple. The pineapple slices look like coreopsis flowers.

sparrowgrass

Today (Wed.) was Heidi's birthday. She's 9, cute, cute, cute, with a body built for lycra. She absolutely adores towering white creations, so it was the Coconut Layer cake from The Perfect Cake for Her Day. She had 3+ pieces. A body built for lycra can handle 3 pieces.

No one, least of all Heidi, was in the least bit disappointed. One cake, 5 people, maybe 3 pieces left. Guess what's for breakfast?

Yes, towering white creations have a place and are a good thing. How long has it been since you had a coconut layer cake?

P. S. I should also note that dinner consisted of her favorite foods: deviled eggs and brie. She likes her deviled eggs lightly topped with blue cheese. Yum. Balanced; no. Good; yes.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Before this topic goes to sleep for a while, I thought maybe I could entice you bakers with one last recipe. If I don't get a response here, I'm gonna try one of those folks on the smoking threads.

This is from Recipes from Old Virginia, a book originally published in 1958 by The Virginia Extension Homemakers Council and The Virginia Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs. My mother brought it back from a recent trip she took to Williamsburg and Jamestown.

I'm pretty sure it qualifies as a cake that no one makes anymore, though perhaps it's not really in need of resurrecting:

Pork Cake.

I can't publish the recipe due to copyright restrictions, but I tease you with this: it features two pounds each of meat and brown sugar, five cups of flour, and words I didn't know I yearned to hear until I actually read them out loud:

Cream sugar and pork.

Anyone game? PM me for the recipe.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

While tender, young Elyse quivers over there in the corner, I'll point out that this actually sounds like a mincemeat cake.

And when it comes to mincemeat, why draw the line at pies? If you make a Pork Cake instead, you don't have that troublesome crust thing to worry about.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

While tender, young Elyse quivers over there in the corner, I'll point out that this actually sounds like a mincemeat cake.

When I read your initial description of the cake, I pretty much figured the recipe would be similar to mincemeat -- which I happen to love. Turns out I was right (she sez proudly yet modestly!).

Don't be frightened, elyse; we won't let the big ol' scary pork cake get you!!

But you might want to look under your bed before retiring this evening . . .

I should also note that dinner consisted of her favorite foods:  deviled eggs and brie.  She likes her deviled eggs lightly topped with blue cheese. 

Deviled eggs made as usual and blue cheese crumbled on top??? Sounds wonderful!

Cream sugar and pork.

"words I didn't know I yearned to hear until I actually read them out loud:"

Yes, Sigh! (Kinda like the one time I was in Oklahoma City and the concierge said "Howdy, Ma'am!" A desire I never knew I had until it happened.

Brown suger and pork. Yes, this could work. But the quantity is pretty astounding; would the Kitchenaid be up to it? Amd that's before flour eggs, etc.! It occurs to me that the housewife of Old Virginia probably had cheap---or worse-- slave labour here.

Any dried fruit? Liqour? Never mind, Arch, I'll PM you for the recipe!

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Trust, maggie, that just as soon as you get the recipe, you will pull out the kitchenaide, mix, bake and report.

I don't, however, envision it looking quite like Princess Heidi's Coconut Layer Cake...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

No one seems surprised at the lack of a frosting recommendation.

Chaste sprinkling of powdered sugar, perhaps?

Who needs frosting?? You've got pork! :biggrin:

And gosh, Lily, chastity is not the thought that springs to mind when we're talking pork and brown sugar.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

You people have no idea how much I want this thread locked right now.

But you see, Babe, it exerts a horrible fascination...you keep checking in!

Archie: Don't tease. Does the frosting start with: Cream two pounds of lard and six cups of white corn syrup?

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Orange layer cake with orange frosting. I have a recipe and make it sometimes but have never seen it in stores.

Living hard will take its toll...

You people have no idea how much I want this thread locked right now.

But you see, Babe, it exerts a horrible fascination...you keep checking in!

This the Orient Express on the River Kwai. No. It's like a recurring nightmare. You can't stay awake forever.

Orange layer cake with orange frosting. I have a recipe and make it sometimes but have never seen it in stores.

WHT: Omigod! I remember this sublime cake...an aunt made it. Could you please please post it in the recipe archive...or just PM it?

Orange frosting. Double Yum!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

The June Martha Stewart Living mag (so sue me, I read Martha  :raz: ) has a beautiful looking Hummingbird Cake recipe.  The cake has banana, coconut, walnuts and pineapple in it, and it is decorated with thin slices of dried pineapple.  The pineapple slices look like coreopsis flowers.

Just happened to see she's making in on tomorrow's MSL...wow, the pineapple flowers do look amazing.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Archie: Don't tease.  Does the frosting start with: Cream two pounds of lard and six cups of white corn syrup?

Garnish with bacon rosettes?

Cracklings. On the side instead of nuts (friend of mine calls it the "wood chip" presentation).

Mmm. Crunchy.

:laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard