• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHOW Magazine

fresh_a

A new food magazine is being worked on by former staffers of THE INDUSTRY STANDARD. CHOW will be unlike any other food mag, they say. "We'll write about restaurants and chefs, but also the chains, supermarkets, airline meals and junk food..."

Sounds like a printed version of eGullet... :biggrin:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'd buy it. I don't get nearly enough light/fun reading these days and it's getting worse. Just like sometimes you just want a cheeseburger. And Maxim's a hoot. Or at least it was a few years ago when my hipster friends were passing around articles. Maybe it's degenerated.

Speaking of degenerated, Bon Appetit is getting weird. The latest issue has an entertaining article from Sandra Tsing Loh about hanging out at the beach and eating hot dogs and being unrepentently fat (ish) and over 40 in LA, but on the other hand they have one recipe that says you can make a perfectly authentic tasting hollandaise by mixing mayo, dijon, and lemon juice and then another that uses sweetened cream cheese instead of custard for a trifle. Yikes.

you can make a perfectly authentic tasting hollandaise by mixing mayo, dijon, and lemon juice

I think you can make a perfectly authentic Potato Salad with that, but Hollandaise?

Bill Russell

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard anything more about this magazine? There was a little blurblet about it in San Francisco magazine this month but when I went to www.chowmag.com, it still looks like they only have the sign up for the newsletter prompt posted.

I guess the launch issue is still set for next year...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 1 year later...
Today's NYT has an article on CHOW, the first issue of which is apparently available now:  Chow Mag Goes Well With 'Tude

Picked up a copy at my local Borders (King of Prussia, PA)...won't have a chance to actually READ until Fri...Looks like fun, though...

I'd rather be making cheese; growing beets or smoking briskets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I flipped through it last week. It's very....colorful and bold.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I flipped through it last week.  It's very....colorful and bold.

Is that damning with faint praise I read?

Let's just say while I'm not overly impressed by the layout, the jury is still out.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 6 months later...

I bought a copy of this magazine last night at the grocery store and i really like it! It doesnt have a lot of advertising (wich is one thing i like) and they seem to have a pretty wide variety of food and drink topics.

From what i can tell this looks like their 2nd issue. Does anybody subscribe to this magazine and what are your thoughts of it?

I bought a copy of this magazine last night at the grocery store and i really like it! It doesnt have a lot of advertising (wich is one thing i like) and they seem to have a pretty wide variety of food and drink topics.

Ouch. A magazine that "doesn't have a lot of advertising" is not likely to be around for very long, unless they are selling loads of subscriptions, which is unlikely by the second issue, or unless they have stellar financial backing.

I agree that it's nice for the reader to not have to wade through tons of ads, but that's not a sign of a profitable publication.

I bought the second issue of Chow on the newsstand, and I enjoyed it, so I hope it sticks around awhile. Let's hope those ad sales pick up!!

Ouch. A magazine that "doesn't have a lot of advertising" is not likely to be around for very long, unless they are selling loads of subscriptions, which is unlikely by the second issue, or unless they have stellar financial backing.

True. Most consumer magazines aim for a 50-50 ratio of ad to edit content, and this has held true for the the past 30 years. This keeps the magazine financially healthy, without overwhelming the reader or diluting the impact of each ad.

I really like what CHOW is trying to do. I think that their challenge is figuring out how to sound credible and authoritative while keeping their breezy, accessible tone. Sometimes the magazine leans a little too heavily in the latter direction, I think. But it's fresh and fun, and I hope it gets plenty of time to evolve and improve.

Amy Traverso

californiaeating.blogspot.com

I bought the new issue today, same day I received July Gourmet. I'll be subbing to Chow. And unless Gourmet gets significantly less boring very soon, I won't be renewing next year.

If anyone is interested in doing a Digest on this magazine, please PM me.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm glad this thread got bumped up. I read through Chow the other day at Barnes and Noble and loved it. I didn't buy it, because I'd become so engrossed in the store that I read the whole thing standing at the magazine rack. Hopefully, they'll be able to add more content.

To be honest, I actually like seeing a few ads scattered here and there. I wonder if they could stay afloat with something like a 50-25 ratio of content to ads.....or something like that ;).

I definitely enjoyed both issues of Chow so far. I'm considering subscribing, as my gourmet subscription is dwindling--it was a gift in the first place. As a young (24) food writer it's nice to see something with a tone that's less serious but still obviously just as informed and genuine, if not moreso, than some other publications.

love the magazine! love the graphics, plant to try the recipes (i like how this first "regular" issue gives nod to the standards)

i wish i didn't live in an apartment or i'd totally be smoking some meat right now.