• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belfast

Untrue.

My experience of the old upstairs restaurant was very formal with a hushed atmosphere and waiters standing to attention with their hands behind their backs waiting to refill you glass after everysip. Is that how it still is?

The casual reference is relative. The room is completely different, much more relaxed and laid back than it was and there is no Michelin starchiness. However, this doesn’t mean that it’s not performing at Michelin standard. In fact, the service is exceptionally good. There is no sense of anyone watching the room, but you never have to wait for your wine, water etc to be poured. The food is excellent too and by Irish standards, it is well priced for the quality of the food.

Deane’s was awarded (Irish) Food & Wine Restaurant of the Year 2007, and it was well deserved. I’m back there again soon and looking forward to it.

That'll be Deanes http://www.michaeldeane.co.uk/deanes.asp which has closed the upstairs fine dining restaurant that held the star and gone for a more casual style. I think he's a really good cook and the revamped restaurants would be worth a visit I imagine (haven't been for a good few years now).

Untrue.

I was at Deane's 3 weeks ago, and it's still as fine dining as ever.

Upstairs is a private dining space, but the downstairs restaurant is in tact; not certainly no casual.

it's also very good. Classical with a few modern flourishes.

Casual maybe a pejorative term in this situation. I said 'relaxed'. When I was there last week, the tables on either side had a group of four Japanese business men in suits and an older/younger women pair. Other tables had a mixture of couples (usually youngish) or groups. There didn't appear to be a 'typical' diner.

I mentioned Michelin style - for example: when diners went to the bathroom, a server refolded their napkins for them. Wine and water bottles (or decanters) were kept in one place, so diners couldn't top their own glasses up but this didn't seem to be a problem. My recommended glass of wine for my main course arrived about 5 mins after the food though.

The casual aspect could have been demonstrated when two men arrived late in the service (without reservations) dressed in jeans and tee shirts and were seated and then served their choices along with their beers.

Untrue.

My experience of the old upstairs restaurant was very formal with a hushed atmosphere and waiters standing to attention with their hands behind their backs waiting to refill you glass after everysip. Is that how it still is?

on that score, it has definitely changed.

it is less formal in the atmosphere, but is still worlds away from casual. Modern would be a better description.

perhaps it's terminology, but it is no more 'casual' than Chez Bruce say, and the kitchen is certainly as accomplished.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

That'll be Deanes http://www.michaeldeane.co.uk/deanes.asp which has closed the upstairs fine dining restaurant that held the star and gone for a more casual style. I think he's a really good cook and the revamped restaurants would be worth a visit I imagine (haven't been for a good few years now).

Untrue.

I was at Deane's 3 weeks ago, and it's still as fine dining as ever.

Upstairs is a private dining space, but the downstairs restaurant is in tact; not certainly no casual.

it's also very good. Classical with a few modern flourishes.

Casual maybe a pejorative term in this situation. I said 'relaxed'. When I was there last week, the tables on either side had a group of four Japanese business men in suits and an older/younger women pair. Other tables had a mixture of couples (usually youngish) or groups. There didn't appear to be a 'typical' diner.

I mentioned Michelin style - for example: when diners went to the bathroom, a server refolded their napkins for them. Wine and water bottles (or decanters) were kept in one place, so diners couldn't top their own glasses up but this didn't seem to be a problem. My recommended glass of wine for my main course arrived about 5 mins after the food though.

The casual aspect could have been demonstrated when two men arrived late in the service (without reservations) dressed in jeans and tee shirts and were seated and then served their choices along with their beers.

that's fine, but everything you have written is an argument against the use of the term 'casual'.

it is a modern, clean environment. perhaps even over-stylised - I hate the lights for example.

And I don't know why you think they should have turned away the customers in your last paragraph??? many michelin starred establishments in London would've sat them without issue, do you think they shouldn't have?

that's not casual, it's not having your head where it's very dark...

that's fine, but everything you have written is an argument against the use of the term 'casual'. 

it is a modern, clean environment.  perhaps even over-stylised - I hate the lights for example. 

And I don't know why you think they should have turned away the customers in your last paragraph???  many michelin starred establishments in London would've sat them without issue, do you think they shouldn't have?

I didn't say that the restaurant was 'casual', so I don't see any contradiction in what I posted. And if you believe that I thought the late arrivals should have been turned away for any reason, then you misunderstood what I wrote.

it is a modern, clean environment.  perhaps even over-stylised - I hate the lights for example. 

And I don't know why you think they should have turned away the customers in your last paragraph???   many michelin starred establishments in London would've sat them without issue, do you think they shouldn't have?

I didn't say that the restaurant was 'casual', so I don't see any contradiction in what I posted. And if you believe that I thought the late arrivals should have been turned away for any reason, then you misunderstood what I wrote.

I think it's very hard to misinterpret your indignation that people wearing jeans, ordering beers, were seated without reservations.

but each to their own.

I didn't say that the restaurant was 'casual', so I don't see any contradiction in what I posted.  And if you believe that I thought the late arrivals should have been turned away for any reason, then you misunderstood what I wrote.

I think it's very hard to misinterpret your indignation that people wearing jeans, ordering beers, were seated without reservations.

but each to their own.

If that's the interpretation you choose to put on what I wrote, then I can't really argue with it, but in no way does it reflect what I felt either then or now.

• 11 months later...

Deanes continues to be very good, so highly recommended. The lunch is exceptionally good value, but for the full experience, go for dinner. James Street South is also excellent, and for casual seafood, the Mourne Seafood Bar is great.

Deanes continues to be very good, so highly recommended. The lunch is exceptionally good value, but for the full experience, go for dinner. James Street South is also excellent, and for casual seafood, the Mourne Seafood Bar is great.

Excellent, thanks. Just had a look at Deanes' website.. looked suspiciously similar to Ramsay's!

• 3 weeks later...
Have any egulleteers been to anywhere nice in Belfast lately?  I'm looking for somewhere towards the end of August but I can't find a lot of recommendations :(

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and had very fine lunches at both Deane's and his deli/bistro.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 1 month later...

Well after an interesting weekend in Belfast I can honestly say I was impressed with the food on offer.

On friday night we ate at Deane's bistro which was conveniently just down the road from our hotel. The restaurant describes the food as "Simple, stylish, elegant dishes made predominantly with locally sourced ingredients" which I think is fair, the menu comprises of the kind of comfort food that usually pleases everyone.

To start, I went with the crab, feta and spring onion tart. This was nice and light with a lovely texture. My friends went for the slow braised ham hock which seemed to go down well.

For mains, I went for the ribeye whilst my friends both went for the lamb rump with broth. The ribeye was nice, although strangely the cooking was uneven which I struggled to understand, because it looked fine from the outside. The accompanying frites and pea & leek fondue also went down well. My friends on the other hand were not quite so impressed with their lamb - it was overdone and apparently lacked much flavour. We also went for some triple cooked chips after I told my friends they were worth trying, however they were rather disappointing, lacking the crispness on the outside that you would expect on such chips. It seemed like they just hadn't been cooked long enough in their final stage which was odd.

To finish, the chocolate tart dessert was lovely, but to be honest I do love chocolate and they would have struggled to serve me one I wasn't pleased with!

Whilst the meal was nice, it was both fairly pricey for the style of food (£8 for starters, £15+ for mains) and having to pay extra for things like bread (£4.95) did make me question the value for money factor, especially considering for not much more you could instead eat at his main restaurant which we visited on the saturday.

Deane's main restaurant was the only restaurant in the city to hold a michelin star. The restaurant itself is a fairly typical city style restaurant with a minimalist design, however the staff made it feel very warm and welcoming without the stiffness sometimes associated with such places.

We opted for the 5 course tasting menu and were very pleased to hear that they could easily accommodate my non-meat eating friend who wanted to change the lamb main course. Bread arrived with a selection of tomato and red pepper, black pudding and more traditional white/brown options. The tomato & red pepper and black pudding breads were excellent, especially with the delicious butter provided.

The first dish to arrive was a celeriac veloute with what I think was a kind of pesto drizzled through. The veloute was seasoned perfectly and had a beautiful, light flavour. It was so good in fact that I doubt they even bothered cleaning up my plate after it was mopped clean by some of the bread :)

Next up, grilled scallops with picked carrot. The scallops were beautifully cooked and went well with the other ingredients on the plate (some of which I've managed to forget!). Excellent.

The main course was "Tapenade poached Lough Erne lamb & confit lamb belly, Pissaladière & artichoke barigoule". This dish was quite honestly stunning, the lamb full of flavour and despite a large number of flavours being present, not one really overpowered. The only thing that I would have changed is the presence of the anchovy, which I didn't really feel was needed. It's also worth noting the risotto that my vegetarian friend had which was of morels and various other ingredients. It was very good indeed and he felt it was his dish of the night.

Next, the pre-dessert - a small jar of vanilla custard, poached rhubarb and ginger topped with coconut ice cream. As expected, this was very good, really refreshing and perfect as a pre-dessert.

Lastly, "Chocolate & peanut butter feuilletine, Raspberry & rose gel" to finish. This dish was beautifully presented and also delicious.

We also went with matched wines throughout which I thought were good value at £35/head. Each wine matched very nicely and not one was a dissapointment.

Deanes really was a triumph for me - if you're ever in Belfast, don't miss it!

So glad you enjoyed Deanes olicollett. I was there a few weeks ago and had an outstanding tasting menu with matching wines. I think the food there is better than ever, Derek Creagh is a great chef, and the desserts were again, particularly good. We had a quick chat with Toby from West Wing who was dining there that evening, which added to the fun of the evening. We have no shame!

Interesting that you also comment on the service. It is exceptional, perfectly pitched. Deanes won the Best Service Award at the Irish Food & Wine Awards on Sunday, and Michael Deane joined the Hall of Fame elite. So, a good year for them, and well deserved.

• 9 months later...

Had a good few meals in Belfast a few weeks ago, albeit can't remember full details.

Deanes was excellent delicious squab dish and some very good lamb. Interestingly there was no dessert menu instead they wheel a trolley which you chose from.

James Street South, was a great experience. Sunday night our table could not decide which dishes we fancied, so requested a tasting menu from the kitchen, which was gracefully accomodated even though Sunday night is not a tasting menu night.

Excellent smoked salmon dish with beetroot, little melon balls and other such things. Other dishes included belly pork, foie gras and John Dory on one plate which was interesting, more mini tasting menu within a tasting menu. Fine Rabbit and Truffle dish. Masses of aspargus everywhere.

Highlight where the desserts, four different offerings given to each of us and asked to taste and rotate, a very interactive assiette. Great british menu offering not on the menu when we were there.

Thorntons at the Fitzwilliam was Thornton only in name, albeit service had all the miserableness you associate with Kevin. Hotel quite good though, albeit I enjoyed the Merchant Hotel slightly better, had a very good breakfast in the Great Room.

I think Belfast has greatly improved food wise.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I realise it is ages since my query over restaurants in Belfast and I have been there a couple of times since. I thought I'd 'report back' on a couple of meals during my last visit.

Lunch at Mourne Seafood Bar was relaxed with really good quality produce. A starter of salt and pepper squid with chilli jam, mayonnaise and nappa slaw was disappointing. The squid was excellent and the batter perfect but the salt & pepper flavouring lacked punch as did the chilli jam (£7). A fish casserole was excellent. It was full of muscles, salmon, hake and crab claw. The fresh tomato broth had a excellent flavour with perfectly cooked potatoes and fennel in it. One of the best I've had anywhere and great value at £11.50. The service was friendly although the 1970s rock music in the background slightly weird.

Dinner at James Street South was very good value. A tasting menu for £45 (5 courses) was good and the £20 for the accompanying wines was amazing value. The food was good without being amazing and the service excellent. A cold crab lasagne with a lemongrass crab bisque had a good depth of flavour, this was followed by wood pigeon with treacle barbecued celeriac which was weird but worked! The main of lamb with vegetables with a side of shepherds pie was ok, the ingredients were good quality and it was well cooked but it was just trying to be something more than it delivered. A cheese course had some very good local chesses and an average rubeceon. I didn't like the sound of the apple dessert so they happily changed it for anything else on the menu and the pink champagne granita with raspberry sorbet was a refreshing end to a good meal. Well worth visiting if your in town.

Two of the better meals I have had in my last few visits to the city.

Andrew