• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shad Fest

Kim WB

For anyone interested in a fun street fair, with lots of vendors, antiques, t-shirts and fish related fun stuff, plus some great food from local restaurants, consider a trip to Lambertville, (in Hunterdon County near New Hope) this weekend. If the weather cooperates, its always an easygoing, enjoyable afternoon. It's 12:30 til 6?7? ish. Initially created to celebrate the Shad run in the Delaware, but now more of a general street fair, its still worth the visit. And with a little effort, lots of local bars serve the great River Horse beer, plus you can tour the Brewery.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Cooking the the roe, not the fish itself. I have enough credibility problems with my fishmonger ("yea, that white stuff. No the other white stuff. Gimme some of that. What's it called?") without asking him to filet the roe.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Busboy, I wrote the story in yesterday's Ledger and included a roe recipe from 49 North Main. The trick is to be gentle so as not to burst the sac and cook just until warmed through for roe that is tender and not tough. They use a combination of butter and oil.

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't dig up the actual recipe on line - do they do anything besides sautee? Pancetta or braised greens or something?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Well, looks like Sunday is going to be the best day for this fest. Think I'll be heading over there for the afternoon. Anyone else planning on going? Wanna hook up?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Well, looks like Sunday is going to be the best day for this fest.  Think I'll be heading over there for the afternoon.  Anyone else planning on going?  Wanna hook up?

Hi Mark..saw this today...we were planning to head over there after watching my son row in Camden...but the rower behind him lost control of hi oar, and it hit Connor on the upper shoulder...the bruising was immediate,and he was sore oall over, so instead of him taking the bus back to school and us heading to the Fest, we brought him home for some R and R.

Great weather, I hope you had a good time.

Here's the roe recipe.

Shad Roe with Vidalia Onion and Bacon

Adapted from Lynn and Bob Willis, 49 North Main

2 servings

1 pair, 8-ounce shad roe

¼ cup flour

salt and pepper, to taste

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon butter

½ vidalia onion, cut into rings

4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

mixed greens

1. Dredge the roe in flour that has been seasoned with the salt and pepper.

2. Heat the oil and butter in a sauté pan set over moderately high heat. Sear the roe for about 1 ½ minutes per side, until golden brown. Be careful not to break the sac, as this will release the eggs. Garnish with sliced raw vidalia onion and crisp crumbled bacon. Serve over mixed greens dressed with a simple lemon vinaigrette.