• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whitstable

Just for your info I had a fabulous afternoon in Whitstable yesterday.

From Guildford it was only a 90 minute drive but what a difference!! The place is really neat and not a Body Shop, Dixons or Pizza Express to be seen!

We ate at the Crab and Winkle right on the harbour front where we had their Seafood Platter. I'm a great fan of the French 'Fruits de Mer' platter but this was even better. Great 'rustic' atmosphere and really fresh, fresh sea food (there's a large fish warehouse downstairs!).

Also looked into Wheelers which is a small Oyster Bar in the High Street and it looked very interesting but with the Crab and Winkle being so good I don't know when I'll eat at Wheelers (unless I stay a night there which is not so bad an idea).

Anway just for you city dwellers it's a great get-away which is not too far but a thousand miles from London.

Yes, yes, I DO know that Michelin recommends the Oyster Factory, but that's Michelin for you. I thought the C&W far better

THe back room at Wheelers is a serious must do. 12 seats and big, bold fish cookery from a whitstable boy who went to london, did the marco thing (i think) and then came home because he couldn't be doing with it.

It's byo.

the other wonder is just outside whitstable at Seasalter. The sportsman pub is a real joy. THis one also has a bib gourmand and is far more deserving of it than the oyster stores which, increasingly, I think of as a busted flush.

Jay

:cool: Hiya

Going to canterbury and whitstable for the weekend in June

Does anyone have recommendations for lunch,pubs,dinner etc in Canterbury

I have booked for a tapas restaurant for a change.

In whitstable wheelers was fully booked so have booked the oyster fishery,

why does this place seems to have divided opions?

Are they any good lunch venues or pubs there?

Anyone got some example dishes they have enjoyed at these places?

Thanks

sarah x

• 2 weeks later...

I hsvr not been to Oyster Fishery as I have head that it is overpriced and not the 'bees knees'. I expect Americans would like it.

I adored the seafood platter at the Crab and Winkle - at least check it out, great food and great, local, atmosphere.

Wheelers I've heard is wonderful and looked incredible when I poppped in but it's very small indeed - very cramped atmosphere. Great for me bt I don't think it's The Place for Americans.

as usual, peter dearest heart, you're talking through a hole in your ... head.

the crab and winkle is the most derided restaurant in the area. the preserve of the blue-rinse coach trips. i had almost the worst meal ever there, a kedgeree which defies description. still, even they can't cock up the local seafood too badly.

and yes, wheeler's is divine. if you want a table in the tiny dining room at weekends, be prepared to book months in advance.

the food and the location of the oyster stores is perfectly brilliant. the attitude (big fish in small town) is the downer. i've given up on it for that reason.

the sportsman is fabulous, as is the dove in nearby dargate (about 10 min drive away). i had the most amazing lobster salad there, with samphire, baby peas, mint and a touch of walnut oil. just gorgeous.

but then, of course, you've been there for the afternoon, so you should know. :raz:

Best and Worst of 2002 and

Had dinner at the Crab and Winkle which was the biggest disappointment of the weekend. This is situated above the fish market so you would think they would know how to cook fish…wrong. Mr S got suspicious when he noticed an abundance of napkins on the table at least 3 each, very 1970’s apparently. 3 large juicy 'garlic prawns' were very ungarlickly and served with shredded courgette, carrot AND salad. Thai crab cakes had the texture of a bathroom sponge and tasted overpoweringly of lemongrass. Mains were smoked haddock with a welsh rarebit topping, completely overpowering strong cheese with an overwhelming taste of beer and Red snapper with some other topping just as horrible.

Peter, you really must pay more attention to me and circeplum.

Oh I must must I?

First of all it's my opinion only and therefore it's accurate, for me.

Secondly I resent the 'as usual' Cireceplum. Yes, I am often wrong in real life but regarding restaurants it's very rare (go to the Italy site and see what I mean - they allegedly like me there!).

Thirdly, if you actually bother to read what I said (which I doubt) I had the Seafood Platter which is similar to Fruites de Mer and, guess what, is fresh therefore not ruined or tainted in any way by garlic or whatever. I have no idea if the cooked seafood is good or not at the C & W only that the seafood platter is superb (and this from someone who eats fruits de mer regularly in France). However thanks for the rec. on The Dove - I'll make sure I go there for an afternoon soon then I'll know everything.

Re Canterbury: try Cafe Des Amis for lovely Mexican food, and Bistro Vietnam (I have never been there as every time I am in Canterbury and I try to book a table there ain't no space). But for a cheap and cheerful meal go to Super Noodle Bar.

but Peter you did say

I adored the seafood platter at the Crab and Winkle - at least check it out, great food and great, local, atmosphere

now you're saying only the seafood platter was good. Seafood platter is hard to get wrong especially when you are above a fish market. But I did have food that requires an element of skill and execution and it just didn't do it for me.

BTW - there is also a fantastic fish and chip shop on the high street whcih you must try There is no greater pleasure than unwrapping a piping hot bag of fish and chips whilst sitting on the seafront as the cool seabreeze whips around your ears....

Secondly I resent the 'as usual' Cireceplum.  Yes, I am often wrong in real life but regarding restaurants it's very rare (go to the Italy site and see what I mean - they allegedly like me there!).

i wouldn't dream of suggesting that you're wrong, merely deluded.

after all, if you like eating in a spot where they can't actually cook, the clientele has difficulty with their inherited teeth and toilet seats are acrylic with an inlay of shells and seahorses, that's entirely your prerogative. :biggrin:

m

but Peter you did say
I adored the seafood platter at the Crab and Winkle - at least check it out, great food and great, local, atmosphere

now you're saying only the seafood platter was good. Seafood platter is hard to get wrong especially when you are above a fish market. But I did have food that requires an element of skill and execution and it just didn't do it for me.

Yes, that's exactly what I said and that's what I meant. I would recommend their seaflood platter unequavocally - I was not judging the place for it's 'element of skill' but on it's taste. On one hand you complain that your food was not good considering it was above a fishmongers and on the other hand you say that that is the exact reason the seafood platter is so good! You can't have it both ways.

All I said was that the seafood platter was great. It was. The fact that you went there and had something completely different (and that it wasn't good) is another story completely. The ambiente is NOT London chic but very local - what's wrong with that? Bottom line is I liked the seafood platter very much and would recommend it to anyone interested. I will go back.

Plus I'll try the fish and chips which I love if it's cooked correctly (which it sounds like it is).

• 2 months later...

I forgot to add my review of the whistable and Canterbury after my visit at the end of June. For a start i really liked Canterbury the sun was shining all weekend and we had a lovely meal at a cute tapas restaurant in Palace Street

Then off we went to whistable. My 1st impressions were not good.I think we parked at the wrong end of town nothing was signposted and we ended up in an asphalt plant.

The Castle and gardens were nice, we walked into the town and to the more "happening" quay. After a pub lunch and a few bevy's we went to relax for a while before dinner at the Oyster Fisheries.

We were booked in for 8:30 but sat at the pub earlier just watching people come in and out of the restaurant..The amount of people they turn away is phenomenal

We went over on time and were seated promptly, after that we were left for some time. Fair enough the place was heaving but the staff levels were low and layout is unpractical

Eventually we ordered, 2 Kirs and a bottle of Palliser Riesling

Starters were:

1/2 a dozen oysters

Smoked eel, Horseradish and beetroot

Mains

Whole cornish crab

Halibut with samphire

The Oysters were of varying sizes. I think as my boyfriend had only had french graded ones or Mju's Mirin and ginger ones he was quite put off by these whistable ones(there was one the size of a fist !) I did ok

The smoked eel was good besides the fact there was a lack of aforementioned beetroot

The mains were disappointing, the crab didn't do much for me we had ordered it as we had never had a whole on before. I just found it all a bit of a hassle

I was really looking forward to the Halibut but found the piece had been over poached in tasteless liquor

Waited ages for plates to be taken away and then the bill which had the wrong, and more expensive wine on it.

A good weekend but an unimpressive meal

Sarah x

I never went to the Oyster Factory (as I had heard that it was overated) but I had a marvellous seafood platter at the Crab and Winkle even if Charlene doesn't agree. Hey, all I wanted was fresh seafood and a nice, local, atmosphere and I got it in spades. I have no idea what the cooked fish is like and I personally don't really care as I wasn't there for that. I wanted fresh seafood and as the C & B has a fish market downstairs they couldn't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Whitstable last Saturday on an impulse, but I just had time to find and read this thread before we left :smile:

At 12.45 we went to Wheelers to have lunch :laugh: Just to help people find it (took us fifteen minutes of guessing) it's in Harbour Street, it's a tiny place called Wheeler's Oyster Bar a couple of doors from Lloyds Bank, and it looks like a shop rather than a restaurant. The place was packed, and we were advised not to wait as they already had several people waiting in the outer area.

So now we tried to find the "Oyster Fisheries". We walked to the harbour (signposted) and immediately found the Crab and Winkle there. We were now hungry, the place looked interesting, so I thought I'd check out Peter's opinion. But again, it was packed.

I asked some people where the Oyster Fisheries was, but they were all tourists :laugh: We wandered along a couple of roads, found the beach, and saw a super looking restaurant with a sign outside saying "Custom House ...". Went in, saw nicely laid tables in a spacious two-room restaurant, smiling staff, and asked for a table for two. Although there were at least five empty tables (and it was now 1.20pm) the hostess told me they were fully booked for lunch. As I went our, I saw a sign inside headed W.O.F.C and I suddenly realised this was the Whitstable Oyster Fishery Company :raz: So for first-time tourists, I can now tell you that the "Oyster Fishery" is about 100 yards west of the harbour, facing the beach, in a large detached building with a sign saying "Custom House .." something-or-other. It absolutely looked worth a visit.

In desperation, we went into a pub directly beside the WOFC called Pearson's Crab and Oyster Bar. They have a restuarant on the first and second floor. They asked us to come back in 20 minutes, which we did, at 1.45. We were seated on the second floor at the best table in the place, a 2-top in a corner window overlooking the sea.

Service was charming and friendly, but slow. I had potato wedges as a starter, which were fluffy inside, and perfectly crisp outside, with a mayonnaise/lemon dip. Very enjoyable.

My main was grilled dover sole, which at £17.95 (including vegetables) was smallish (I guess about 12 inches long) but the fish was nicely fresh and very well cooked. The salad that came with it was what I would describe as "no nonsense rustic". A few pieces of variegated leafy vegetation, a tomato cut into quarters, six thin slices of cucumber with skin intacto, and the obligatory crown of mustard and cress. No dressing.

Mrs Macro ordered grilled plaice which was about twice the size of my fish, and excellent in every way. She had a jacket potato (pronounced good) and vegetables including runner beans and sweetcorn which were overcooked. Her whole dish cost £8.95 (available at lunch only).

Their freezer had broken down (well, the temperature was touching 100 degrees so that's bound to happen :wacko: ) so we couldn't have ice cream :sad: Didn't fancy the alternatives.

It may be unkind to say that the meal we had was about what I expected. The fish was excellent, everything else was very old-style-pubby. In other words, lacking the niceties, poorly presented with a smile. At £34 for the two of us (which incidentally was about the same as we would have spent at WOFC) it wasn't great value. The plaice at £8.95 was, the dover sole at £17.95 definitely wasn't.

Next time I will try to book in advance, and I think WOFC will be my choice.

Re Canterbury: try Cafe Des Amis for lovely Mexican food,

REALLY?

i'm sceptical...but, what did they serve, details please? one of my supreme joys on in this hemisphere would be someone serving good mexican food. otherwise i'm gonna have to open that taqueria and man, i just don't have the energy or money...

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

ah, whitstable, once i went for a walk along the peter cushing boardwalk and then went to sit at the peter cushing love seat by the sea. and who do you think was there? peter cushing of course!

he said: my wife and i used to love sitting here and gazing at the sea. and by the way my dear, have you had the oysters across the way (its right across from the whitstable oyster place).

when he found out my name (marlena) he said: ah, i knew a marlene once...marlene dietrich of course...he kissed my hand..he was so debonair and suave and sweet.he introduced us to the colonel who was the very picture of a major general or at least a colonel. later on, after peter died, the colonel snatched his body from the grave and it went missing for awhile. still, i'll always remember our afternoon with peter cushing in the setting sun of a winters afternoon in whitstable.

then we came back to london on the train, and there was a very drunk glaswegian man who kept saying "ssshhggarrrr" and pulling down his trousers (with nothing under them of course).

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Macrosan

as u may see from my post we had a terrible time finding places, we just couldnt find any signs. I was just really disappointed by the place and food having heard & read some good write ups. There was only the one pretty street with quaint shops & atmosphere.

The weather was great when we were there but it just didnt live up to it's reputation...

sarah x

I was just really disappointed by the place and food having heard & read some good write ups. There was only the one pretty street with quaint shops & atmosphere.

The weather was great when we were there but it just didnt live up to it's reputation...

:shock: really? That is what I love about the place, the fact that there aren't loads of shops selling candy floss and toffee apples, it is peaceful and small-scale. It is great to walk along the seafront past the Hotel Continental towards Tankerton, nosing in the multicolured beach huts as you walk along and stopping for a drink at the pub up the hill. If you want to eat in one of the restaurants then yes, you do have to book in advance. Personally I am just as happy to grab some bread and cheese from the deli and sit on the pebbles soaking up the sun. :smile:

i probably worded it incorrectly, the area u describe was lovely. The hotel continental, the castle etc but the quays werent very appealing. I didnt expect lots of mainstream shops,candyfloss or anything but after the nice quaint road (not sure of its name) we just found the place a little rough(horrible,mouthy kids etc). I hope that doesnt sound to bad just a personal opinion.

The pubs were pleasant but whistable was generally not as nice as i expected and the oyster fishery was overpriced and badly run

sarah x

Edited by sarah w (log)