• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Curry Day!

BBhasin

I read in the 'India Abroad', a few years ago, about National Curry Day being celebrated in the U.K.

To mark the occasion an Indian restaurant prepared the world's largest vegetble curry. An Indian beer producer came up with a spiced up beer ( which was not very popular) they called it ' Madras in a glass'. Another company, not to be out done prepared a vindaloo using beer ( which sounds very interesting to me) and re-christned it Vindalager.

Then on a recent visit to New Delhi ,I was confronted with huge banners and other advertising heralding ' National Samosa Week'. If you bought a pepsi from a participating eatery you would be treated to a free samosa.

What is the forum's reaction to an International Curry Day ?

The Day would be launched by the Indian PM in conjuction with an Indian celebrity Chef.

It would be sponsered by Indian companies. There would be contests ranging from inovative origional reiepes with an Indian flavor to essay contests Why I Love Indian food. Prizes would range from complimentary airtickets to India, courtsy Air India to Gift certificates at local Indian restaurants. Suvir and Monica will conduct special gourmet tours to India, exploring regional cuisines. Indian restaurants worldwide will offer 'Buy one Get one Free'

How was my dream??

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Seems like a great idea though...

Maybe we can also go to VA and explore the Indian restaurants in that State.  What say you?:rolleyes:

International curry day sounds extremely good and interesting, in addition to Bhasim's may be we should include some indoor table games like carrom board.. etc

I am a bit curious on VA... Suvir ??

P2

My parents live in Northern VA so I am there often. I would love to join you guys on a tour of indian restaurants in Virginia. What about Maryland?

Can I take you to Amma's Vegetarian on M street?

BTW, you had me hooked as well.

My parents live in Northern VA so I am there often.  I would love to join you guys on a tour of indian restaurants in Virginia.  What about Maryland?

Can I take you to Amma's Vegetarian on M street?

BTW, you had me hooked as well.

I have started to visit the local Indian places here, VA, MD and DC to start doing some reviews. Let me know if you would like to join me on my next one!! See the DC VA forum for some opinions. I tried Ammas in VA and it was not good, but I am open to going again

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice