• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb

Jim Dixon

there's a Jamie Oliver recipe which I've had once or twice - take a pork tenderloin, rub it with garlic, OO + chopped sage, then lag it in Parma ham. Lay it on a bed of (slender stalked) rhubarb cut in 2-3in chunks. Drizzle with more OO, roast till how you like it. Mulch the rhubarb around in the porky juices + serve the tenderloin in slices with the chunky sauce. Nice.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Since we're now talking about sweet recipes, one of my favourite uses for the stalks is in late spring, when the rhubarb is cheap and the first cherries of the season are expensive: rhubarb and cherry clafoutis. Just take your regular cherry clafoutis recipe, replace half the cherries with rhubarb cut into cherry size chunks, up the sugar a little and flavour the batter with a bit of vanilla.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread inspired my to buy a couple stalks of rhubarb a week or so back since my DH loves it in strawberry-rhubarb pie. I also bought some cherries since he loves them. I promptly forgot about them and he never touched the cherries (?).

So a few of the cherries were starting to turn and I really hated the thought of throwing them all out. But frankly I didn't really want to eat them fresh b/c they just weren't "fresh" anymore.

So, I pulled out a small sauce pan, cleaned and cut up the rhubarb and added some sugar and h2o. Once it started boiling away I saw the cherries I had put in a bowl to eat and decided to throw them in with the rhubarb. I pitted and halved them and whached the burner on low and let it all simmer away as I did my chores. I tasted and decided I may have gone a little over on the sugar so I put in a slice of lemon. 1/2 hour later....OMG boy is that good jam. It would be lovely on pork chops but I haven't made any yet. I've thrown it into the freezer now b/c I just keep eating it by the spoon. (hey, it counts towards my 4 serving of fruit for the day, right?)

I think I'll take the frozen stuff up to Oregon with me to share with my MIL, she'll love it!

Can someone with Rhubarb growing post a picture? or maybe I should just post a picture of whats in my backyard to see if anyone else thinks its rhubarb...my husband hates when I pick random things and eat them :raz: .....I think its rhubarb but its kind of just at the edges of the lawn not... garden like

3 yrs now I just end up mowing it

:blink:

tracey

so much for that idea it just started pouring

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There are lots of pictures if you Google, but here's one that shows both stalks and plants. Some rhubarb has very little red on it, others have completely green stalks. Do not eat the leaves, they're poison.

rhubarb

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

so this is whats growing in my backyard

gallery_23695_426_682288.jpg

gallery_23695_426_139522.jpg

gallery_23695_426_268009.jpg

Why does my husband keep saying...NOOOOOO dont eat it :rolleyes:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Weed wacker....that was not rhubarb...yech yech yech...yes I tasted it :wacko:

those werent Ramps either

I think I will wait for the raspberries

oh well

Maxine

My Webpage

I'm sure your husband's worried about you. Best bet is, if you don't know what something is, don't pick it and eat it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Could your leaves have been horseradish? How icky was that flavor? :raz:

Want to look for a thick white root?

(And a horrible taste - raw - doesn't rule out rhubarb. *Nobody* is posting recipes for raw rhubarb for a darned good reason!) Were the stalks pinkish?

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Oh I cooked it of course ...poached in sugar water...it really just tasted green not too bitter or anything...

I actually waited all these years to try it because I hadnt tasted rhubarb since highschool home ec

I think it may be a form of dock ...yes the stems have a pink strip right up them...these things are getting huge

"i'm not dead yet"...(with fake english accent)

tracey

but I do have to reidentify these other things in the lawn I am sure they are edible

shhhhhh

Maxine

My Webpage

Hi everyone - this is my first post :smile: I was sadly a rhubarb virgin until last week and the first recipe I tried happened to be a Pork Tenderloin with Spiced Rhubarb Chutney off the Epicurious site. It was really a fantastic chutney and I'm glad I made a double batch! I would urge you all in search of savory recipes to check this one out :cool:

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

Thanks everyone!  I have lots of ideas.  I'll pick one and try then report back this weekend.

Okay, I almost hate to say this but I've never had rhubarb.... I'm very interested to try it, but what does it taste like? Does it assume the flavor of whatever you cook it with? Very very interested to know!

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

Rhubarb is tart (if cooked with sugar) to sour (if served raw after being salted). I'd try the sweet variations first then move into savory if you like the flavor. Chop the stalks up and cook them to a compote with sugar, then use the compote to spread over toast or to top sponge cake.

Birthday's coming up and my mom always makes a killer rhubarb cake . . . :wub:

I am a huge rhubarb fan and have used it in salas and bbq sauce. I personally like it raw dipped in sugar, but I like tart flavors. Use your favorite fruit salsa recipe and replace the fruit with rhubarb and add a little honey.

Mark Bittman had a recipe for lentil and rhubarb stew in the New York Times, using Indian spices.  I haven't tried it yet, but it really sounds good.

We had that for dinner on Wednesday, and it was good. Easy, too--I thought it might not turn out very full-flavored, since you just boil everything together and don't fry the spices first or anything, but it was a success.

• 10 months later...
Anything new to share?

hmm - there's a very simple Jamie Oliver recipe - from memory, mulch up lots of garlic + thyme with olive oil, smear on a pork tenderloin, roll in Parma ham, sit on a bed of chopped rhubarb + roast.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Another vote for the Bittman lentil-rhubarb recipe - I too had doubts about it, but it was pretty good, although not memorable enough for me to make again.

And a bizzare-sounding (although kind of tasty) snack an old man at the farmer's market recommended: dip a raw stalk (washed), in salt. Eat. I thought he was a little mad, but it's actually pretty good.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda