• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose Water

Lyle

Try googling it. The most esoteric results. The circa 1859 cake reminds me of A.B.

So after some long overdue cupboard cleaning, or, er. emptying, I had a few discoveries. Aside from the now-kombu-powder-baggie and and odd sampler-sized laundry detergent (?), I found an unopened bottle of rose water. After googling, I realized I could make syrup, wafers, and a really poor cake. How else can I use my rose water?

Rice pie is nice.

I find that it is a preferred cologne for elderly ladies, often Hispanic, who seem always to be dressed as though they are on their way to or from mass.

Also, a little bit added to orange sections served with a light honey/sugar/cinnamon syrup gives everything a nice aromatic smell.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I find that it is a preferred cologne for elderly ladies, often Hispanic, who seem always to be dressed as though they are on their way to or from mass. 

I suppose I get it, but where does rose water come from? I don't mean what is it made of, but what's it's history? I really don't know, and all I can think of after tasting it is, er, roses. I don't even know how we got the stuff. I guess it followed my wife home one afternoon...

Edited by Lyle (log)

Rice pie is nice.

Rose water is a very common ingredient in middle eastren and Indian foods (mainly desserts). I use it to make rosewater and pistachio ice cream, puddings, yogurt sauce to top starwberries,...

There was also a very good recipe on e-gullet somewhere for Pistachio cake that uses it. A simple search should find it.

Once Suvir finds this thread I am sure he will add more comments on the use of rosewater in Indian desserts. :smile:

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I wondered if it was indicative of that region as it was bottled in Lebanon. Well, somewhat close at least.

Looking at the bottle provided a chuckle. The freshness date states "BEST BEFORE END". That's it. Good advice for all, I think.

Rice pie is nice.

The two best dessert names ever right there: fools and syllabubs.

Pick up any book by Claudia Roden, like her books on Middle Eastern and Jewish food, and she'll give you a ton of uses for rose water. I flavored my homemade marzipan with it (that one time i made marzipan by hand). as i remember from her books, it's often paired with mastic.

Rose water is a very common ingredient in middle eastren and Indian foods (mainly desserts). I use it to make rosewater and pistachio ice cream, puddings, yogurt sauce to top starwberries,...

There was also a very good recipe on e-gullet somewhere for Pistachio cake that uses it. A simple search should find it.

Once Suvir finds this thread I am sure he will add more comments on the use of rosewater in Indian desserts. :smile:

FM

Food Man, I would rather hear more from you about ways in which your grandma may use rose water. I am sure she could tell you many ways in which rose water becomes something that Westerner can appreciate more intimately and with greater sensitivity. I am always all ears to read more about your grandma and her wise way with food... She seems special and everything a grandma ought to be.

We have had another thread on Rose Water. Certainly a search could get us a link to it. I do remember the most beautiful cake that Colleen Apte had made. I think the cake had something to do with rose water. I may be totally wrong in this.. but that seems to ring in my mind as being connected to rose water. This cake also seems to me to be a cake that was amazingly beautiful. It could have been an opera cake. When I have more time, and fewer worries, I shall try and search for these threads.. .and I shall post a link. If someone else posts before me, I thank them in advance.

I also remember the pistachio cake. It was a recipe from one of the big food magazines. I have made it many times since. Wonderful cake.

eat a small bowl of yogurt mixed with 1 tablespoon to help induce sleep.

Interesting... In India, it is often used in the treatment of hysteria.

Is "hysteria" still considered a treatable condition? Here in the US doctors used to use vibrators on female patients. Seriously.

Many years ago, at the Flear Market in Chelsea, where I go looking for platters and bowls and china to serve food in, I found this great looking box. The design of the box caught my eye. Something drew me to it, with china in my hand, I walked up to the box, and it was a box that had inside it a vibrator.

I bought it. It was an old vinatge vibrator. It is placed as one would place a worthy curio in their living area. Friends notice it, inspect it closely, and are always tickled by all the maladies that a vibrator could cure. And yes I believe it could cure hysteria amongst many other ailments.

I am not sure what hysteria is considered, but rose water is considered to be a great ingredient to use in controlling it.

• 1 month later...

:raz:

Hi. I have a question about Nigella's 'Figs for a thousand and one nights' recipe. What can I use instead of figs?? See, my aunt bought me rosewater and orange blossom water because I'd asked her where to get it, and she found both kinds at a Chinese market. Anyway, I wanted to make her family something that uses at least one of those things. Her family's a little picky about food (especially my cousin), and I'm pretty sure at least one of 'em doesn't like figs. My family eats anything, so I'll probably make it w/ figs in the future, but I didn't want to replace the figs w/ somethin' else, and have it end up nasty. Could anyway help me?? My brother and I are leaving for vacation soon, and I'd like to get it made before we leave. Thanks.

I have no idea what that recipe is. Can u elaborate on what the recipe asks for??? If I had to replace figs with a different fruit then I would probably just make another recipe. but please do tell us what the recipe entails.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The recipe calls for unsalted butter, cinnamon, vanilla sugar (or just add 1 drop of vanilla w/ the flower waters), rosewater, orange flower water, mascarpone cheese (as a side), and slivered pistachio nuts. Basically, you mix it all together (except for the nuts), "blister" the figs in a really really hot oven for a few min, then add the stuff on top. Then you put some cheese on the side sprinkled w/ the nuts. That's it. If I were to use another fruit, I wouln't want to "blister" it would I?? I'm a total beginner cook, so I have no idea. Also, do you think I'd have to give it to 'em warm, or could it be cold?? I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks.

The fruit has to be warm to get the sugar, butter and cinnamon to melt into it, if you're going to use that recipe as a base. Orange flower water and Rose water are traditional in Middle Eastern desserts, which Nigella's recipe seems to be a take off on. Both have a very delicate taste so you have to be careful what you combine them with so as not to overwhelm them. Having said that, and assuming you're not into doing a baked dessert, you can use the Orange flower water in a basic fruit salad pretty successfully. Epicurious.com might have some recipes.

The recipe calls for unsalted butter, cinnamon, vanilla sugar (or just add 1 drop of vanilla w/ the flower waters), rosewater, orange flower water, mascarpone cheese (as a side), and slivered pistachio nuts. Basically, you mix it all together (except for the nuts), "blister" the figs in a really really hot oven for a few min, then add the stuff on top. Then you put some cheese on the side sprinkled w/ the nuts. That's it. If I were to use another fruit, I wouln't want to "blister" it would I?? I'm a total beginner cook, so I have no idea. Also, do you think I'd have to give it to 'em warm, or could it be cold?? I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks.

As I said there is no substitute for nice ripe figs, but if you must then substitute some semi-soft fruit like ripe Apricots or ripe Peaches for the figs. Blister them in the oven like the recipe says and serve warm or at room temp, you should have a nice tasty dessert. Let us know how it turns out.

hope this helps

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog