• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in New Jersey

thereuare

Just went to Star Tavern tonight for dinner. Fantastic pizza - definitely the best "bar pie" around IMO. Place tends to be really crowded though - lots of screaming kids and loud 80's music playing on the jukebox. That aside though, great pizza. I believe it's in Orange, not East Orange.

I actually registered solely so that I could say

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD.

I'll work my way thru the places mentioned. I'm surprised & pleased to see my local Nellie's Tavern here - yup, good pizza.

The Ridgewood Brooklyn's is good, but slightly blander than the Hackensack Brooklyn's. I found myself in Hackensack this afternoon accidentally, and stopped there for lunch, just to be sure. I think, but I'm not postive, that the crust cooks a little differently there, giving a better balance to the simple, but excellent, ingredients. I'll do more research on this.

I drive past Kinchley's several times a week, but never stopped. Next time I will. Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Finally went to Grimaldis in Hoboken - I will definitely be back there more often...Pizza was delicious, very similar to Brooklyn Pizza in New Jersey. Thin Crust, Fresh Mutzz, very basic sauce and very fresh and delicious!

I LOVE pizza, and it's one of the advantages of living in the tri-state area.  If you've ever lived/traveled outside of the tri-state area, you'll know that they consider Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, and Dominos to be pizza (i consider these to be the McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's of pizza).<p>So when you want a good "pie", where do you go?  These are some of my favorites:<p>Kinchley's in Mahwah/Ramsey

Benny Tudino's (only get slices or a "house pie") in Hoboken

Grimaldi's (Brooklyn is best, but Hoboken will simply "do")

John's Pizza in NYC (any location)<p>Tomorrow nite i'm trying L&B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn.<p>Others (mostly in NY) on the list that i need to get to are:

Crosby's in Bronx

Nick's in Forest Hills

Denino's on Staten Island

Nunzio's on Staten Island

Nellie's in Waldwick

New Park Tavern in East Rutherford

????? in Trenton (don't remeber the name, but if you know a great pizza place in Trenton, that's the one)<p>Been to Pepe's in CT and although good, was somewhat unimpressed.<p>Anybody have their own favorites, or comments on any of the ones mentioned.

• 1 month later...

As a young kid i went to my cousins play at Princeton.. After the play we all went to Conte's Pizza.. I havent been back since but have such an incredible memory of this pizza . Whats the story with this place, is it as good as I remember? Or should I let it live in my memory.

I used to like a small place called Coffaro's when I lived in South River. However I am yet to find a good delivery place near my home town only one comes close and it's called City Pizza in Westwood... and Nellies and Kinchley's is the best if you drive locally (IMHO!) I'd appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for a good delivery place up here I'd really REALLY appreciate it.

BTW to the earlier posts Starlite was the best after sledding down the golf course on a snowy winter day, nothing like their hot steamy cheese laden slices to cheer up a kid with a cold, snow-caked bottom!

:biggrin:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I used to like a small place called Coffaro's when I lived in South River.  However I am yet to find a good delivery place near my home town only one comes close and it's called City Pizza in Westwood... and Nellies and Kinchley's is the best if you drive locally (IMHO!) I'd appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for a good delivery place up here I'd really REALLY appreciate it.

BTW to the earlier posts Starlite was the best after sledding down the golf course on a snowy winter day, nothing like their hot steamy cheese laden slices to cheer up a kid with a cold, snow-caked bottom!

Not sure if you know that the Starlite in W. Orange and the Star Tavern in Orange are two completely separate places.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I used to like a small place called Coffaro's when I lived in South River.  However I am yet to find a good delivery place near my home town only one comes close and it's called City Pizza in Westwood... and Nellies and Kinchley's is the best if you drive locally (IMHO!) I'd appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for a good delivery place up here I'd really REALLY appreciate it.

I can sympathize with you. There are no standout delivery places by me in Waldwick either. However, if you're feeling adventurous one day and want to take a drive, Bricks pizza on Greenwood Ave. in Wyckoff (next to the DMV) may be the best traditional pizza in Bergen County. They also have locations in Montclair (they were featured on Fire Me Please last week), I think there's one in Tenafly, and a place in Glen Rock which is now called Aldo's, but it used to be a Bricks and they make the same pizza. Highly recommended, especially the barbecue chicken pizza. Delicious! I will also second the suggestions for Nellie's and Kinchley's for great bar pies (I find them to be comparably delicious, but since I'm only a few blocks away from Nellie's I usually order from there.) They would make a killing if they started delivering their pizzas!

Yes, star tavern in the "other oranges" is good too... :shock: OOPS! Heh -

but I was on a segue at that hour in the morning I guess LOL - Starlite is an oldy but goody in West Orange - not too far from my favorite little florist-type place Metropolitan Plant Exchange (they have about 4 locations and if you make your own arrangements they are pretty inexpensive and gorgeous and FINE to bring to a romantic dinner for two!)

Thanks again!

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

As a young kid i went to my cousins play at Princeton.. After the play we all went to Conte's Pizza.. I havent been back since but have such an incredible memory of this pizza .  Whats the story with this place, is it as good as I remember? Or should I let it live in my memory.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

As a young kid i went to my cousins play at Princeton.. After the play we all went to Conte's Pizza.. I havent been back since but have such an incredible memory of this pizza .   Whats the story with this place, is it as good as I remember? Or should I let it live in my memory.

We live about fifteen miles from Princeton and we are there often and we go to Conte's several times a year, usually on a Friday or Saturday night, when it is as busy as place can be, but it is big and the turnover is fairly rapid.

The pizza is as good as ever. It is one of the best pizzas in NJ and in addition they a liquor license and I like beer with pizza.

They offer a few other choices, pasta, etc but I have seldom seen anyone eat anything but pizza.

It is worth a return trip.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Contes is  in Princeton - 339 Witherspoon Street, 609 921 8041. I think it's better than good pizza, but not the celestial experience some fans claim.

Contes is very good pizza, second in the area to the Trenton Tomato Pie Trinity, i.e., Delornezo's of Hudson St., Delorenzo's of Hamilton Ave., and the surprisingly good Top Road Tavern on Brunswick Ave. in Norfth Trenton, just 2 blocks north of Olden Ave. What I like least about Contes is the oily crust, but the dough and sauce/cheese ratio is damn near perfect.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Pizza in Northern NJ - thin crust

Espositos in Mahwah - get the grandma's pizza is a thin square pizza with the best tomato sauce

Kinchleys -

Nellies - great thin crust, we like the sausage, garlic and hot peppers

Brooklyn Pizza is available in Ridgewood

Any good pizza places that deliver to River Vale? Maybe a place near westwood, or pearl river? God, to have some good tasting pizza would be wonderful. *SIGH*

Rosie,<p>Where in Bayonne is pizza masters? (cross street)  If you "know" Bayonne, i also just read about Pompei's and Franco's.... any word on those (although Pizza Masters is obviously your first choice)<p>When i head to Bklyn tomorrow, i think i'll take the Bayonne Bridge, so maybe get a slice to hold me over? (or is it not a slice place?)  I never knew Bayonne had decent pizza.<p>I've read Fat Guy's pizza section, and L&B is mentioned on it, as well as many of the others i've listed.  He seems to recommend all the places he includes on the list, but the write-ups seem to complain that none of the places are "like they used to be."<p>(Edited by thereuare at 12:28 am on Nov. 2, 2001)

<p>(Edited by thereuare at 12:36 am on Nov. 2, 2001)

I apologize of these have already been mentioned but I'm eating breakfast @ work & rummaging through quickly so I didn't get to read the whole thred - but I will at lunch!

Tony's Pizza in Tuckerton

Joey's Pizza on Long Beach Island

Attillios in North Brunswick

Now I live in KY & pizza sucks. The first thing husband & I do when we head home is hit the pizza. We stayed with his brother on LBI one year & had pizza for dinner 4 of the 5 days we were there. I miis NJ Pizza.

Edited by Metal Spice (log)
Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

i went back to Kinchely's last night (586 N. Frankling Turnpike in Ramsey) after a 10 year hiatus.  wow, it was just as good as i remembered.<p>the thin crust pizza is delicious.  it's tough to compare it to anything else, even my favorite Brooklyn's Pizza.  it's a pub atmosphere, but can be lots of fun if that's the mood you're in.<p>as an aside, the pizza reminded me a bit of the bar pies at Lady Janes in hoboken (14th and hudson).  i forgot just how good those bar pies at lady jane's are!

I can't understand how anyone likes Kinchleys. The crust is good, like matzah or something, but the quality of the sauce is so can like. Hunts, i suspect?

The cheese is not good either...well to each his own

I have to agree that Brooklyn coal burning in hackensack and ridgewood is the BEST . The freshest ingredients make a real big difference. I don't even think Kinchleys knows what fresh basil is?

Its 5 minutes from my house and i wouldn't ever go there...

By the way, if you keep driving up Franklin turnpike a bit on the left side there's a new restaurant used to be the famous 'Nobodys inn"

Now its Roxanne's and they have great brick oven pizza as well as decent food for that area....much better than kinchleys

it's just different. most pizza is different. kinchley's is different than brooklyn's which is different from pizza i've had in italy which is different than the pizza i cook at home. they'll all good. there is a lot of bad pizza out there, and by and large it's accepted that kinchely's doesn't fall under that umbrella. just because they're not using fresh mozzeralla (and many people feel that fresh mozzerella has no place on pizza) or fresh basil doesn't make it bad.

Edited by tommy (log)

it's just different.  most pizza is different.  kinchley's is different than brooklyn's which is different from pizza i've had in italy which is different than the pizza i cook at home.  they'll all good.  there is a lot of bad pizza out there, and by and large it's accepted that kinchely's doesn't fall under that umbrella.   just because they're not using fresh mozzeralla (and many people feel that fresh mozzerella has no place on pizza) or fresh basil doesn't make it bad.

No not bad just right!!!! Dont foget the olive oil and sea salt!!!

Edited by cibo susci (log)

i went back to Kinchely's last night (586 N. Frankling Turnpike in Ramsey) after a 10 year hiatus.  wow, it was just as good as i remembered.<p>the thin crust pizza is delicious.  it's tough to compare it to anything else, even my favorite Brooklyn's Pizza.  it's a pub atmosphere, but can be lots of fun if that's the mood you're in.<p>as an aside, the pizza reminded me a bit of the bar pies at Lady Janes in hoboken (14th and hudson).  i forgot just how good those bar pies at lady jane's are!

I can't understand how anyone likes Kinchleys. The crust is good, like matzah or something, but the quality of the sauce is so can like. Hunts, i suspect?

The cheese is not good either...well to each his own

I have to agree that Brooklyn coal burning in hackensack and ridgewood is the BEST . The freshest ingredients make a real big difference. I don't even think Kinchleys knows what fresh basil is?

Its 5 minutes from my house and i wouldn't ever go there...

By the way, if you keep driving up Franklin turnpike a bit on the left side there's a new restaurant used to be the famous 'Nobodys inn"

Now its Roxanne's and they have great brick oven pizza as well as decent food for that area....much better than kinchleys

As I was once told Kinchley's serves bar pies. Don't go there expecting a gourmet Lombardi's or DeLorenzo's pie. After I was smacked and enlightnened that Kinchley's serves bar pies, I then realized that, all in all, Kinchley's serves great bar pies.

:D

I had Brooklyn's Pizza once. It was very good, but I prefer Bricks, probably my all time favorite pizza. It kind of freaked me out not having cheese all over the pizza. It was still great, just different.

BTW, here's props to another great Northern NJ pizza place: Turvino's in Glen Rock, just a few feet past the Fair Lawn border. They've been there forever, and the place is certainly nothing to look at, but they make some great pizza!

Also, when I was a kid, there used to be a pizza place in Paramus on Route 4 where Wendy's is now called Pronto. I used to love that place! They made the best personal pizzas. Anybody else remember that place?