• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Wine Dinner

GordonCooks

I've enjoyed saving a few special bottles for my birthdays and really special ones for milestones.

My 30th was a Cult California night

1994 Abreu Madrona Ranch

1994 Caymus Special Select

1994 Dalla Valle Maya

and my recent 35th was a

1985 Gaja Barbaresco

1986 Chateau Latour

1989 Chateau D'Yquem

As I start to think about the next milestone - it's interesting to see how my palate has changed over the years. Will it be Rhones ? Burgundy ? Champagne ?

What are you holding for the special occasion ?

PS - My 25th consisted of Single Malts, Cigars, shots of Grand Marnier, and sleeping on my bathroom floor.

The keystone of my 40th birthday dinner was a magnum of Chateau Margaux from my birthyear, 1949. It was marvelous. I had various celebrations for my 50th, but the two I remember most were (1) at The French Laundry where we had 1996 Huet Vouvray demi-sec and 1993 La Tache and (2) at a friend's house where the centerpiece was 1978 La Tache. I'm in the lucky position of having lots of great Burgundies waiting for the rest of my birthdays, and some Chave Hermitages, too, if I feel like it.

Best regards,

Claude Kolm

The Fine Wine Review

I'm holding on to a '59 d'yquem for my 50th. I like to open bottles from our anniversary year (1986) on our anniversary and our kids birth years (1989,91 & 99) on their birthdays. I have put a case of wine away for each of them. For the '89 Lafite, Dominus for the '91 (I wish I bought a case of the Guigal super cote-roties) and Haut-Brion for the '99. They can have them to celebrate their own milestones with after they turn 21.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm probably guilty of attaching mythic significance to certain bottles of wine - you know, the "this is such a wonderful treasure I can't imagine ever drinking it" syndrome. So I have some permanent entries on my "special occasion" list - wines that I think about every holiday but, ultimately, am afraid to drink :blink: .

Some of the entries on this list include:

*1985 Avignonesi Vin Santo - this appeared on at least half a dozen special occasion menus before we actually got up the nerve to open it. Unfortunately, that bottle was absolutely mind-boggling, so opening another one is pretty much out of the question at this point;

*1971 Chateau Gillette - this one has sentimental value - my wife and I had a substantial disagreement the day it was purchased. After getting cheap with her at Chateau Guiraud and only buying a few bottles of their 1990 (a stellar wine at a dirt cheap cellar door price), I proceeded to unilaterally spend a ton of money at Gillette on some old vintages, including this bottle. Can the wine outlive the memories?

*1982 Chateau Chalon - the most intimidating thing I own. Fuhgettaboutit.

My wife thinks I'm silly.

Edited by Robin Meredith (log)

*1971 Chateau Gillette - this one has sentimental value - my wife and I had a substantial disagreement the day it was purchased.  After getting cheap with her at Chateau Guiraud and only buying a few bottles of their 1990 (a stellar wine at a dirt cheap cellar door price), I proceeded to unilaterally spend a ton of money at Gillette on some old vintages, including this bottle.  Can the wine outlive the memories?

My wife thinks I'm silly.

I love the wines of Chateau Gillette. I have a 1953 Creme de Tete waiting for my 50th (if your math is good you realize this could be any second) which was given to me as a gift when I visited the Chateau in 1986.

All of our wives think we are silly.

I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of holding special bottles for special occasions.

I bought a bottle of 1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard at the winery on a post-graduation tour of Napa around 1976. I cherished it in various cellar versions over the years until the greatest of occasions, Millennium night, spending it with my bride of three months. Got it up from the cellar and immediately knew something was wrong when the cork came waaaay too easily. Great vinegar, though. The next bottle was 1972 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace, also bought around 1976. Also completely ruined. Finally setted for an Opus One from I-forget-what-vintage, but by that time the specialness had gone and all I was doing was depleting my limited set of "special occasion" wines pretty much for the sake of having a special wine for a special occasion.

I've got some nice bottles laying around, but I don't really "save" them like I used to. Still, I've got a 50th coming up in 2 years and my wife is already asking "What wine will you want to drink?"

-Nevan

*1985 Avignonesi Vin Santo - this appeared on at least half a dozen special occasion menus before we actually got up the nerve to open it.  Unfortunately, that bottle was absolutely mind-boggling, so opening another one is pretty much out of the question at this point;

I think Avignonesi's Vin Santos are amongst the finest wines in the world. I visited the winery in 1998 and came away with some '88's that were simply unbelievable. I served them at Christmas Eve 2000. I managed to buy some 89's. I'll probably save them for one of my son's birthdays.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I think Avignonesi's Vin Santos are amongst the finest wines in the world

When I tasted this wine I just had one thought - "now I know what wine writers mean when they call a wine immortal". Probably the only wine I've ever tasted that I have absolutely no chance of outliving. Kind of a funny thing, given the relatively modest level of ambition/achievement generally associated with Vin Santo - but these are truly monumental wines.

Edited by Robin Meredith (log)

I've got a 50th coming up in 2 years and my wife is already asking "What wine will you want to drink?"

My calculator indicates that you were part of the 1955 vintage.

An appropriate drinking wine would be a vintage port. The 55's are mostly still drinking well and almost affordable.

The 1955 Martinez is one of my all-time favourite ports.

Kind of a funny thing, given the relatively modest level of ambition/achievement generally associated with Vin Santo - but these are truly monumental wines.

What are some other good Vin Santos ? I've had very few I'd consider memorable and a few I'd like to forget. Mainly due to lack of knowledge

I haven't had many opportunities to explore Vin Santo in the last several years, so my knowledge is largely outdated. It does seem like a handful of producers are following Avignonesi's lead and trying to elevate the category a bit (or maybe they're just milking things by slapping higher price tags on the same old wine they've always been making).

If I were to start exploring the category, I would probably focus on some of the better Chianti producers - it stands to reason that someone who's doing a good job with their core products might also be making a decent Vin Santo.

Now that I've got myself thinking about this, I may have to try some out for myself!

Kind of a funny thing, given the relatively modest level of ambition/achievement generally associated with Vin Santo - but these are truly monumental wines.

What are some other good Vin Santos ? I've had very few I'd consider memorable and a few I'd like to forget. Mainly due to lack of knowledge

I've not had any other vin santi to rival Avignonesi's.

Twitter - @docsconz