• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Griddle

RickBehl

Hi,

Wonder if anyone could help.

I have been using a cast iron griddle for a while.

While it has served me well, providing me with a great

way to cook steaks/chops/fish, etc, I still find that

occasionally, food will stick to the ridges of the griddle.

The last time I used it, I was wanting some nicely griddled

haloumi cheese for a salad, and the cheese kind of

half stuck/half seared itself to the pan.

Anyone have any tips on how to cook/care for a griddle ?

Thanks

Rick

If you do a search on "cast iron" (without the quotes) on the Cooking forum and specify Any Date and newer, you'll get lots of information. Not every thread will have what you're asking, but a lot will. This is a topic near and dear to many of us. :biggrin:

Or you can just cast your click here and take the easy way out. :laugh:

I wonder if you had the pan hot enough to mark the cheese fast without cooking it so long as to melt it? But then I've never tried it, so I could be wrong.

Rick, did you rub the haloumi with oil?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Kind of an improvised spur of the moment recipe.

Marinaded the thinly sliced haloumi in combination of olive oil,

lemon juice and fresh mint.

Then griddled the cheese, and added to a bed of cos lettuce, tomato, radish and lebanese cucumbers. Finally dressed with

some olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh mint.

Kind of a middle eastern dish,

Rick

• 9 months later...

The main advantage of a griddle as I see it is that you can make far more pancakes on a double burner griddle than you can in a fry pan. Cast iron will also give you a better crust on the pancakes than non-stick can.