• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Applegate Farm

Rosie

Rail Paul, can't agree about Magee Moo's. I find their ice cream to be very pedestrian. I'm always wary of a place based on a gimmick: in this case the frozen counter block which Magee Moo's uses to do their signature "mix in's". Their ice cream comes from a powdered mix. I may be naive about this but isn't it unfair to say the ice cream is home made or made on the premises if all thats actually being done is opening a bag and adding some milk or other liquid?

My test for a good ice cream parlor is to order a black and white milkshake. If they have to ask you what this is, you know its time to leave.

I lived in Boston in the mid 80's and there was an ice cream renaissance going on there at the time. Steve's, Ben & Jerry's and Emack and Bolio's all had stores with great ice cream. Steve's chocolate pudding, B & J's sweet cream (like vanilla without the vanilla) and E & B's key lime pie all stand out in my memory.

I went to Applegate Farm last Thursday. I had the Cherry Vanilla. If its really homemade then why did they need to color it red? Shouldn't home made cherry vanilla ice cream look like Bryers cherry vanilla? Product wasn't bad and I'm sure I'll go back since I work so close and I still have to give them the black & white shake test. I'll report back when I do.

I lived in Boston in the mid 80's and there was an ice cream renaissance going on there at the time. Steve's, Ben & Jerry's and Emack and Bolio's all had stores with great ice cream. Steve's chocolate pudding, B & J's sweet cream (like vanilla without the vanilla) and E & B's key lime pie all stand out in my memory.

Im a little surprised that you didnt mention Brigham's. They have/had the best vanilla bean Ive ever had, but then again, I was post partum at the time. Im talking mid 80's just like you said. I lived in Boston.

Michelle

Im a little surprised that you didnt mention Brigham's. They have/had the best vanilla bean Ive ever had, but then again, I was post partum at the time. Im talking mid 80's just like you said. I lived in Boston.

Michelle

Never went to Brigham's. Never even heard of it. I'm sure it was a gross oversite on my part. I lived just outside of Kenmore Square but I remember the best ice cream was in Cambridge, either in Harvard Square or Davis Square and on Newbury St. between Mass Ave and the Public Garden.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

Ahhh...Holsetein's. I grew up on that. To this day, I swear I got a 3-4in sq piece of chocolate in my chocolate chocolate chip ice cream. And they make their own hot fudge. Do you know how disappointing it is to go for homemade ice cream, but they only have "commercial" fudge?

There's also Hoffman's that has 2 shops, one in Spring Lake, and (the original) in Pt. Pleasant. It's very good, but take out only in Spring Lake (which is where we usually go).

Ok, now I really want ice cream. I think there's some Edy's chocolate peanut butter still in the freezer....

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Rail Paul, can't agree about Magee Moo's. I find their ice cream to be very pedestrian. I'm always wary of a place based on a gimmick: in this case the frozen counter block which Magee Moo's uses to do their signature "mix in's". Their ice cream comes from a powdered mix. I may be naive about this but isn't it unfair to say the ice cream is home made or made on the premises if all thats actually being done is opening a bag and adding some milk or other liquid?

I wonder if they've changed since last Spring / Summer? I recall it being pretty good. With your observations, I'll definitely re-visit and update my thinking

Thanks!

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 3 years later...

A Little Saigon run followed up with some Applegate Farm for dessert... Sounds like my kind of evening!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

By the way, I cheated in these pictures. We did GO to the original Applegate Farm location in Montclair, but the lines were insane. So the actual ice cream photos are from the location in Nutley, where there were no lines.

Granted, the Nutley location doesn't have as many of the flavors as the Montclair one does, but its the same ice cream.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

By the way, I cheated in these pictures. We did GO to the original Applegate Farm location in Montclair, but the lines were insane. So the actual ice cream photos are from the location in Nutley, where there were no lines.

Granted, the Nutley location doesn't have as many of the flavors as the Montclair one does, but its the same ice cream.

I'm always amazed by how much more business they do in Montclair than any of the other locations I've been to.

I'm surprised they can even stay in business in East Hanover...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

This is true but if you get Applegate ice cream to take home be sure to pay the price for the handpacked pints or quarts. The quarts and half gallons they sell in the freezer on site have a lighter sort of air whipped consistency like mid grade supermarket ice cream - very disappointing. But the handpacked rocks just like the cones and dishes.

As someone who will detour far for good ice cream I will have to keep Applegate's on my list of potential detours next time I am in the area. Good ice cream is disappearing from the American landscape. Hope to be there by summer's end.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Just looked up the Applegate's website. They have a place in Freehold, which is not that far, and I tend to travel through Freehold several times a year. Next trip it will be a visit to Applegate for ice cream.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Just looked up the Applegate's website. They have a place in Freehold, which is not that far, and I tend to travel through Freehold several times a year. Next trip it will be a visit to Applegate for ice cream.

Kinda sad what happened to their Freehold site (it's actually "Freehold Township", rather than "Freehold Borough"- two different municipalities- the latter is the old city, the former is what was once rural and now quickly-filling-up-with-McMansions-and-strip malls suburb).

It took a while to build the Applegate Farms Ice Cream stand in a wooded area between the junction of Route 537 and Rt. 33 and the well-known "Since the 1700's" Moore's Tavern, but when it was done it was nicely situated, with a classic old barn and silo, just slightly funky, "roadside Americana" look. BUT, soon after a huge, ugly Wal-Mart AND Sam's Club were built sort of to the left and behind it, someone (either Wal-Mart or another developer) clearcut all the trees! So, instead of sitting on some benches behind the store and looking into woods, it's now a clear cut wasteland, soon to be... I don't know... more malls or parking lots, I suppose.

The funny thing about all the development in this town is that they CLAIM to have a strict code on new construction so it will "blend" with the "historic" look of the area - so they "made" Wal-Mart put some fake gables on the facade of their stores.

Yeah, looks just LIKE it did in the 1700's! http://tinyurl.com/krpau

Edited by jesskidden (log)

Sorry to read what has happened to the area near Applegate Farms. I recall it being a very busy area, with the mall. all kind of stores and heavy traffic even on a weekend when I usually drove by there. I go back many years and Freehold, both the borough, whick is small, and the township, which is much larger, have changed beyond anyone's belief. I guess that is progress and the spurt in population growth.

Hope to visit Applegate's soon.

Sorry to read what has happened to the area near Applegate Farms. I recall it being a very busy area, with the mall. all kind of stores and heavy traffic even on a weekend when I usually drove by there.

Oh, I'm not saying it's anything out of the ordinary for New Jersey but, in the case of Applegate Farms, the place had only been OPENED for a few months, it seems, before the surrounding property on all three sides was clearcut. Granted, a nature preserve it wasn't, but sitting in the back at the benches they'd set up, one could "escape" temporary from the sprawl with some imagination (and a pistaschio sugar cone!).

On the other hand, I get a kick out of the "victory" of making Wal-Mart stick some fake gables on the building and considering it conforming to the "Colonial" feel of the town.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll take Holsten's over Applegate any day of the week!

Agreed!  Have you ever tried their Black Rasberry ice cream?!

Just went to Holsten's on Friday evening. I've never seen it so mobbed before. There must have been a 10 minute wait at the counter!

Great coffee chip and some solid maple walnut--though this particular batch was nuttier than usual.

IMHO, Holsten's is a million times better (roughly) than Applegate, and I've been eating both for a hundred years (smoothly). Applegate has wonderful flavors, but Holsten's ice cream is much creamier. Their chocolate chocolate chunk is amazing.

Edited by Montclairite (log)

Ditto. Holsten's ice cream is just miles better, and you can get a mean classic coffee shop sandwich there, too. I've found Applegate to be overpriced and cheap with its ingredients (from butterfat to chips). Never understand the crowds, except that it's fun to go to the little red barn.

I've lived in Bloomfield for about eight months now, and we just discovered Holsten's a couple of weeks ago. Game over -- the cherry vanilla is maybe the best ice cream I've ever had.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I've lived in Bloomfield for about eight months now, and we just discovered Holsten's a couple of weeks ago. Game over -- the cherry vanilla is maybe the best ice cream I've ever had.

8 months it took you?!? That's unlucky. I hope you've made it to the Belmont Tavern at least...

Holsten's is about 2 blocks from one of my offices. Great to grab a cup during lunch and sit in the park when the weather is nice.

8 months it took you?!? That's unlucky. I hope you've made it to the Belmont Tavern at least...

Holsten's is about 2 blocks from one of my offices. Great to grab a cup during lunch and sit in the park when the weather is nice.

Yeah, I know -- it took awhile. My wife's family lives in Montclair, so most of our activity has until now been pointed in that direction. And yes, I've been to the Belmont. Shrimp beeps all over my shirt...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis