• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portuguese Food in Vancouver

tighe

I want to apologize up front for the vague rambling nature of this question, but its the best I got....

A woman I work with told me that she heard (OK, so we're already at 3 degrees of separation :blink: ) that there are good Portuguese restaurants in Vancouver. Based on my one trip to Portugal, I love the food, and if there are some notable places, I would definitely make a point of visiting them next time I'm in town. The info I've been able to glean from the web has been pretty sparse. Seattle's only vaguely Portuguese place was short-lived, though good. So...what's the real story? Thanks.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

There was a hugely successful place called Santos on Commercial Drive. The food was good and the party went on long into the night, and then after about 20 years it just closed early this year. Up the street is a place called the Latin Quarter, I have heard good things about it but not been myself. There is also Chateau Madrid La Bodega, which serves Iberian fusion food.

Are any of these places worth a trip from Seattle? I don't think so. None of them can even come close to the way The Harvest Vine does Basque food. I would say they all do the kind of food you would find at a restaurant in Lisbon that feeds American or Canadian tourists.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I concur with Coop, based upon personal experience the Portugese cuisine in vancouver is not that big a deal compared to your memories of the real thing. However with that said, La Bodega is a great place for tapas and they have been doing it quite well for years. Is it stellar? No. Worth a special trip from Seattle? No. But you would not go wrong throwing it into the mix during your next Vancouver sojourn.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

Tighe,

It's not much, but The Spanish Table in Seattle does stock some Portuguese food stuffs, and occassionally has Caldo Verde as soup in the deli. They have a good selection of wine and port, prices can sometimes be beat elsewhere in town.

Coop - Did I eat tourist food in Lisbon?!?

Tighe,

It's not much, but The Spanish Table in Seattle does stock some Portuguese food stuffs, and occassionally has Caldo Verde as soup in the deli. They have a good selection of wine and port, prices can sometimes be beat elsewhere in town.

The Spanish Table rocks, but the few times I've been there its been a struggle to get out with my bank account intact. Not because of their prices, but because I want it all...

Using the names of some of the places mentioned by Coop and Johnathon, I did a little more web searching and came accross this column from Vancouver Magazine, written a few years ago. It gives a run-down of quite a few Portuguese places and, from the tone, seems to confirm what both of you said about the overall level of quality. One of the places mentioned that did peak my interest some is Tia Ana. Still around?, ever tried it?

One thing I found funny about the article is that at the beginning he indicates that Portuguese restaurants were (in 1999) "hot" in Seattle. :unsure: There's only ever been one place in town that claimed to be (in part) Portuguese and that was La Tienda Cadiz, now closed, but wasn't even open in '99.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Coop - I wasn't offended - just wondered if I missed something!

Tighe - Excellent find. If I'm not mistaken, last time I was in Vancouver, a few years ago already, I think I stumbled into a Portuguese bakery. I forgot about that until I read the link. May need to drive up for a fix.

I remember reading that article in Vancouver Magazine. I would take it with a grain of Fleur de Sel as the author loves everything and everybody, a great trait for a priest or teacher but not always for a reviewer. Just my thoughts on the subject.

David Cooper

• 5 months later...

My reply is a little late but here it goes: There's a great Portuguese restaurant in North Burnaby on East Hastings called Gallo Mercado. Funny that it's right next to possibly the worst restaurant in the lower mainland - Anton's which has silly long lineups and terrible piled-to-the-sky plates full of bland cheap pasta dishes. IF only those people were to move one door to the left they would discover some really great food. Their salted cod dishes are fantastic. As was their seafood paella which has more seafood in it than rice - full of mussels, clams, scallops & prawns. Generous portions although the service is pretty slow. Be prepared for an evening event.

Anisette

Luckily I have never had to go to Anton's, it has been narrowly avoided a few times. This Gallo Mercado (chicken of the world?) used to be a deli/store selling expensive gourmet items and sliced chicken sandwichs. Is this not the same now? Is it still open? Last few times by it was dark. The one time I ate there the guy who did my sandwich was very miserable. The sandwich was good though.

Does anyone know what happened to Santos.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

Gallo Mercado (Chicken Market?) was a deli style joint when I was last in the area having been the extremely unfortunate recipient of an "absolutely must have Italian dinner, you are going to LOVE it!" (Anton's) from some friends. Whom have now been designated to the friendship graveyard until they can better judge the difference between quantity and quality.

I too am curious about the status of Santos. Anyone?

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."