• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--gohanmono

torakris

By the way, my cousin once told me a saying that when he grew up his mom said "eat every grain of rice or you will go blind"  I've heard this from a couple of other relatives as well.  Is this a common Japanese saying or is my family just cruel?

What I often hear here in Japan is quite the opposite.

"If you waste even a single grain of rice, you will go blind."

米を一粒たりとも粗末にすると、目がつぶれる

It's not much of a saying and there are a lot of other versions.

Another famous legend about the importance of rice is

A goddess of Kannon resides in each and every grain of rice.

米の一粒一粒には観音様が宿っている

My mother loves natto and raw egg on gohan, but I've never been able to handle the egg. I like beni shoga, Tokyo-Zuke, gomashio, or furikake on mine, maybe some takuan or kimchee if it's not too strong (well, not all together), but my favorite is sekihan (with red beans). And I eat every single grain, with pointy Japanese ohashi. I just love gohan, and here I am, stuck with a Lean Cuisine frozen lunch today! :rolleyes:

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

hmm... close, but the rice is still in it's distinc shape and there is alot more ingredients in it.... i guess it depends on who or how they are prepared... o.O

It still sounds like zosui, this is made with rice that has been previously cooked and then added to some type of stock, it can be soupy or thicker depending on preference and can be as simple as just egg or a variety of ingredients. Egg in some form is very popular as is some type of seafood, occasionally meats and some type of garnish.

If it is much creamier and more risoto like it is probably okayu (rice gruel).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

I had this for lunch today... it's one of my favorite rice dish... it's just called Salmon Don here... :blink: wondering what the proper name is?

gallery_21598_191_1097049962.jpg

There's raw salmon (of course!), tobiko (my favorite sushi topping), sliced cucumber, avocado (hidden under the salmon), pickled ginger, big dallop of wasabi and these magnificent tuna (?) floss.... :wub:

.:. forgot to add that there are also bits of nori... :biggrin:

Im not a big fan of tuna... but the ones here are just so addictive... it's marinated and are semi dried and finely shreaded... much like the chinese pork floss except these are a little more moist. I was wondering if this is an actual japanese food?? And if anyone knows the recipe to this??

Thanks in advace!!

Im looking at you Kris... :raz:

Edited by Phish (log)

hhhmmm....

the donburi probably doesn't have a name, it looks like an original! and a very good one at that.

The tuna is probably tsukudani or soboro, both are simmered in a soy based sauce and then sort of crumbled/flaked.

• 1 month later...

Last night I had one of my favorite maze (mixed) gohans

gallery_6134_91_1101874237.jpg

I tear the tender leaves off the shungiku (chrysanthemum) stems and place them in a bowl and season them with some soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds then add the hot rice to the bowl and mix. Last night I used a 50/50 mix of brown rice and white rice.

the rice burger (a hamburger like dish using two rice "patties"/onigiris instead of a bun) that has been made very popular by MOS burger can now be eaten "fresh" at home. :biggrin:

A frozen rice burger that has been heated in the microwave, this is the yakiniku (grilled beef version) and was quite good.

gallery_6134_91_1101874260.jpg

Last week (for thanksgiving) I made the UNAGI OKOWA recipe that Kristin posted on the eGullet courses:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=108&t=28058&

It was so good, that my MIL wanted me to make it again for the Saturday Thanksgiving party we were invited to a few days later.

Well, I made it again with a few changes, and it was a hit!

Instead of putting nori into it, we shaped them into musubi/onigiri, and wrapped nori around them. Also, this time I was out of Shiso, so i stuffed the center with Shiso-flavored konbu...yummy!!!!

Thanks Kristin!

Shiso konbu-

http://www.tyckshin.com.tw/prod-konbu-e3.htm

P.S....one of my favorite ways to eat gohan? Steaming hot, topped with shiso-konbu or the same type of konbu mixed with the tiny roe (herring?), but im not sure what this product is called.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Got this out of a recent issue of Eiyou to Ryouri (Nutrition and Cooking) magazine.

ABURAGE and GREEN PEAS MAZE-GOHAN

Cook rice as usual. Per half-cup of raw rice (one modest adult serving) allow

1/2 slice of aburage (thin-sliced deepfried tofu)

1-2 tablespoons of fresh or frozen green peas.

In a dry frying pan on low-med heat or in an oven-toaster, dry-fry or toast the aburage until crispy but not necessarily browned. Sprinkle over about 1/2 tsp soy sauce per slice of aburage and allow to soak in briefly. Cut into small squares.

Boil peas very briefly until cooked, drain, shock in cold water if necessary.

Mix the aburage and peas into the cooked rice lightly. The soy sauce adds a salty tang that goes surprisingly well with the mildly sweet green peas.

Yum, that sounds great! In spring I often make mame-gohan with shirasu but it involves cooking fresh peas and shirasu with the rice. It's wonderful when the peas are good but more often than not the peas, though they looked fresh, turn out to be tough and starchy. I like the idea of mixing in frozen peas, which are guaranteed to be tender (not to mention cheaper and much less work).

Variations include using dried sakura-ebi instead of shirasu, which turns the rice pink (shockingly pink if artificially coloured sakura-ebi are used), or mixing sliced shiso and chopped umeboshi into the rice before serving.

Nakji, I don't know the exact season, but I seem to recall May and June as being the months they are most plentiful in supermarkets. But like I mentioned above, I've been really disappointed with them in the past.

If anyone has any tips on how to choose really fresh peas, I'd love to hear them!

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus