• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enjoy New!

torakris

For one month only, the teri-tama burger!!

A teriyaki burger with a fried egg, also available with cheese....

http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/sales/promotion_new2_h_f.html

and McDonalds is also running a special during Golden Week of a different value set everyday for only 390 yen (about $3.50) including a one of their burgers a medium fry and medium drink. May 4th is the best deal as the burger of the day is the big mac normally costing over 600yen!

http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/sales/promotion_new3_h_f.html

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Since my kids are all in school now trips to McDonalds have become very infrequent.

About a month ago though, I discovered their new burger the macgrand. It has three varieties, the regular , one with a slice of tomato and a double:

http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/sales/promotion_tmcg.html

that tomato one is REALLY good! I ate it three times in 3 weeks :shock: it has been over a week since I last had one and I am getting cravings......

Japanese McDonalds seems to have more interesting looking buns. And is that a different kind of Special Sauce?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Japanese McDonalds seems to have more interesting looking buns. And is that a different kind of Special Sauce?

Actually those buns are just for this particular burger, and the bun is quite good. :biggrin: The special sauce is also special to this burger and it is sort of mayo and grainy mustard mix, it has a nice kick that I like.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lat month McDonald's introduced a teriyaki chicken burger, I had high hopes for it but was very disappointed. At the store it was hard to tell from the picture that it was deep fried. :angry: Then it was dunked in the same gloppy teriyaki sauce they use for the teriyaki burger. :angry::angry:

McDonald's teriyaki chicken

????? Haven't they had a teriyaki chicken burger for ages????? It's son2's fallback order, wherever we are!

they have the teriyaki burger, but it is actually a pork patty. I have never seen a teriyaki chicken sandwich before...

• 1 month later...
????? Haven't they had a teriyaki chicken burger for ages????? It's son2's fallback order, wherever we are!

they have the teriyaki burger, but it is actually a pork patty. I have never seen a teriyaki chicken sandwich before...

The Micky D's Teriyaki Burger is the Shogun Burger in Hong Kong. I ate 3 of those everyday while I was there.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 5 months later...

Starting on 2/10 McDonald's Japan is offering a couple new items in honor of the Torino Olympics.

An Italian Chicken sandwich

An espresso flavored milk shake

and a deep fried potato and cheese ball served with a spicy sauce

2006 Olympic menu

click near the green tab at the bottom to see pictures

Starting on 2/10 McDonald's Japan is offering a couple new items in honor of the Torino Olympics.

An Italian Chicken sandwich

An espresso flavored milk shake

and a deep fried potato and cheese ball served with a spicy sauce

2006 Olympic menu

click near the green tab at the bottom to see pictures

Well I will give a thumbs up to the new Italian chicken sandwhich and the espresso shake. :biggrin:

The chicken is sort of like chicken parmesan on a bun, the bun was nice and the chicken was quite juicy, the tomato sauce could have been a little better (it was on the sweet side), I will order it again though.

I will be back there quite a bit since we have 5,000 yen (almost $50) worth of gift cards from there. :biggrin:

I will be back there quite a bit since we have 5,000 yen (almost $50) worth of gift cards from there. :biggrin:

McDonald's gift cards? Is this part of some new trend that I'm not aware of?

Gift certificates? In Japan they are called gift cards, don't they have them everywhere?

My husband filled out a short questionnaire at a real estate office last week and they gave him 10 - 500yen gift certificates (for McDonalds) and a tin of (very good) cookies.

Gift certificates? In Japan they are called gift cards, don't they have them everywhere?

My husband filled out a short questionnaire at a real estate office last week and they gave him 10 - 500yen gift certificates (for McDonalds) and a tin of (very good) cookies.

That makes sense then. I can see them being given out for newspaper subscriptions and other commercial promotions.

I was just wondering if these had perhaps became an oseibo item. Over here, except for the free sundae/cone coupons that are sometimes doled out trick-or-treaters, I couldn't imagine an application for gift certificates from McDonald's.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 1 month later...

I saw this on the train today. Spring is fast approaching and Maku it is ready with their ume sauce chiken nuggets. I haven't tried them yet.

ume.jpg

I don't know if I really imagine chiken nuggets with ume sauce as the "taste of spring"

I saw this on the train today. Spring is fast approaching and Maku it is ready with their ume sauce chiken nuggets. I haven't tried them yet.

Sorry for getting off topic, but do you call McDonald's Makku for short? I assumed that Osaka people called it Makudo.

Sorry for getting off topic, but do you call McDonald's Makku for short? I assumed that Osaka people called it Makudo.

I've heard both. Fellow foreigners sometimes like to shorten words that the Japanese have already shortened so the full name for McDonalds (Makudonarudo) becomes Makudo in Japanese and the foreigners call it Makku. I'm not sure if this is common or it is just something the foreigners I know do. For example all the train stations have been renamed by the foreigners I know, so Tsuruhashi-eki becomes Tsuruhash and Yamato-Yagi-eki becomes Yagz. I personally like to call things by the proper Japanese names but that may be because I speak more Japanese than them :smile: .

• 1 month later...

I ended up at McDonald's today and ordered the new Ebi (shrimp) filet-o sandwich with sweet chili sauce. I was pleasantly surprised! I had tried the ebi filet-o when it first came out and didn't care for it. They must have redone it because it was much better with large pieces of shrimp and a lot of them at that. The sweet chili sauce was a wonderful contrast.

Limited time only!!

• 1 month later...

I tried grilled chicken sandwitch

It tastes like Tan-shio because of its light taste and a hint of lemon flavor.

Japanese female born and grew up in Kansai area (western Japan incl. Osaka,Kyoto) now living in Tokyo for 10 years. Love to cook and go for dining esp.Italian,Korean and Chinese.

My blog themed on cooking and dining in Tokyo:http://travel.web.infoseek.co.jp/blog

I tried grilled chicken sandwitch

It tastes like Tan-shio because of its light taste and a hint of lemon flavor.

I should have gotten the chicken sandwich.....

the salad was awful, it was no bigger than their tiny shaker version except it had chicken in it. The dressing they offered were the same as the shaker, sesame or cheese and now they had a lemon and herb one. That sounded good so I asked for that, I was surprised to see it was actually a low fat one (I don't care for low fat salad dressings...). When I squeezed it open the watery lemon part came gushing out followed by a trickle of oil. The bowl was actually too small to mix the salad around, so the lettuce tasted of eithr just lemon or just oil. I finished and was still starving! :angry: