• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andhra Cooking expertise

Is there a name for this dish?

What ingredients does it have...

All of this will help.

And no biggie... you can always add to your post a sentence stating that it is a recipe in working.

Well, it sure should be titled (Murder Mystery) Recipe Mystery. Now I am eager and going thru all my notes on Andhra cooking and ingredients and recipes and have asked my mom to stay close to the phone.

A PM should do the job.

P2 :wub::wub::wub:

Is there a name for this dish?

What ingredients does it have...

All of this will help.

And no biggie... you can always add to your post a sentence stating that it is a recipe in progress.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION -- ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK -- NOT DONE YET -- not sure what else I can say.

The name is (Lentil Puree) Andhra Patoli : A spicy pureed dish made by steaming ground Channa dal. I am not sure I have the right ingredients or the method quite right.

[RI]1 cup channa dal (yellow split peas), well rinsed

[RI]2 Serrano green chilies

[RI]1 teaspoon cumin seeds

[RI]4 tablespoons vegetable oil

[RI]1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds

[RI]2 dried red chilies, broken

[RI]4 fresh curry leaves

[RI]1 1-inch fresh ginger root, grated

[RI]1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder

[RI]Table salt to taste

[RI]Water, as needed

1. Grind the dal along with the green chilies and cumin seeds, to a coarse paste. Set aside.

2. In a large pan (with a lid), heat the vegetable oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, add the red chilies, curry leaves, and ginger root. Mix well.

3. Add the dal puree, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add about ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes

4. Uncover, stir well, add another ¼ cup of water. Mix well and cover. Lower the heat and cook until the lentils are soft, about 5-6 minutes

5. Serve hot.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

The name is (Lentil Puree) Andhra Patoli : A spicy pureed dish made by steaming ground Channa dal. I am not sure I have the right ingredients or the method quite right.

[RI]1 cup channa dal (yellow split peas), well rinsed

[RI]2 Serrano green chilies

[RI]1 teaspoon cumin seeds

[RI]4 tablespoons vegetable oil

[RI]1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds

[RI]2 dried red chilies, broken

[RI]4 fresh curry leaves

[RI]1 1-inch fresh ginger root, grated

[RI]1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder

[RI]Table salt to taste

[RI]Water, as needed

1. Grind the dal along with the green chilies and cumin seeds, to a coarse paste. Set aside.

2. In a large pan (with a lid), heat the vegetable oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, add the red chilies, curry leaves, and ginger root. Mix well.

3. Add the dal puree, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add about ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes

4. Uncover, stir well, add another ¼ cup of water. Mix well and cover. Lower the heat and cook until the lentils are soft, about 5-6 minutes

5. Serve hot.

A little research with my mom, I come with the following.

Monica, you are almost there (as per my mom)

Missing ingredients

a) Onion

b) Urad Dal

c) Chana dal for tempering

d) As an option garlic being used instead of ginger

e) Black chana is typical in villages for better taste, yellow chana dal for better looks.

Best done in a pressure cooker.

1. Soak dal overnight, drain and mix red chillies, jeera and a bit of salt.

2. Grind it to a coarse paste.

3. Place this mixture in a pressure cooker add a cup of water and cook 10 minutes.

4. Heat oil in a saute pan add chana dal and urad dal and as the lentils begin to crackle add cumin and mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped green chilies, fine chopped onions and chopped garlic. Once the onions are cooked and the garlic turns to lightly brown add this mixture to the lentil puree, mix well, check the seasoning and leave it on a medium to low heat for three to five minutes or until most of the moisture evaporates.

Chopped coriander as garnish is optional.

Hope this was of help to you.

P2