• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Cream Pie

jeniac42

Hi TrishCT,

like your avatar; do you know what type of flowers those are?  gentians?

Thanks Ludja, yes they should be gentians. I got the avatar from a public domain clip art page when I searched under that flower name. I have a fondness for blue, as did one of my favorite authors, D. H. Lawrence, who expressed his enchantment by gentians when he wrote, " Oh, what in you can answer to this blueness?"

Thanks TrishCT, I wasn't sure exactly what gentians looked like but kind of guessed based on the beautiful blue color! Lovely quote from DH Lawrence; a favorite author of mine also.

I'm a nutmegger also (grew up in New Britain/Middletown) but now am transplanted to N. Ca.

I plant lobelias out here each year---they have a similar beautiful deep blue color.

(Guess I should mention that I make a tisane or something out of them to keep on 'topic' for egullet---but it wouldn't be true...) :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"